Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Desolation V5 Anarchy

Mob difficulty has been significantly reduced.

4 hours ago, MootRed said:

ever thought of using 'no local' mod to add flavor?

If local isn't already client based it would be simple to make a mod to re-add it if not.

If your going to render the player model even at more limited range the client can still be made to dump that list to the old local list area very easy that's if its not already client sided I honestly don't know.

3 hours ago, Darklords said:

If local isn't already client based it would be simple to make a mod to re-add it if not.

If your going to render the player model even at more limited range the client can still be made to dump that list to the old local list area very easy that's if its not already client sided I honestly don't know.

in essence, no local doesnt work if someone can just render the client?

57 minutes ago, MootRed said:

in essence, no local doesnt work if someone can just render the client?

Well no I mean if the client has the data to render the other players model to you and show you what there doing some one could easily mod the client to just show people around them in the old local list still with that data the server sends so you can see people around you.

Edited by Darklords

The nolocal mod i have, Does not render unless they are within 20 tiles of you. Yeah you can still cheat, But thats a problem with all of WU

6 hours ago, Hakameda said:

The nolocal mod i have, Does not render unless they are within 20 tiles of you. Yeah you can still cheat, But thats a problem with all of WU

Right, but if there within 20 tiles of you I can just use a mod to re-add them to the list reducing local range works well, removing local list server side does not do anything because it can be undone with a client mod we have the same data the server would be sending for local just for different uses but a full list of users around you is in memory that's all you need to remake a client side local list, not sure how I can be any more clear on this it's not really up for debate on if you could do this it would be easy it's something anyone can do and minus a forced client mod with some kinda of anti cheat the data is all in the client and you cannot filter it out like they did with the ores you can't see because then you just wouldn't see the player period and wurm becomes singe player game because your not giving them any data about players around them so the client can't render them to you lol.  If you can see that player that means you can hover over them to see a name if you can do that I can just dump that from memory into the old list or a new one if it was server sided local list removal and no anti cheat for the client which can't be enforced anyways, a mod can me made to put those names into the old or new local list 20 tiles limit or not once the server sends me the data to render you for me you will be in my local list with a simple mod.

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 1

Confirmed. In addition to Darklords great points above, someone did some testing with me on a test server of a client mod that does exactly what is described here when local was set to 0 approximately six weeks ago. 

On DesV3 we were the first server to reduce local range. There were also some reported issues with boats, archery and in some cases mine doors that came along with that change. Most of these were fixed as part of the development of DesV4 however this doesn't remove the concern around DarkLords comments above and the certainty that a client mod already exists to allow the override. DesV5 inherited the anti-cheat modifications from DesV4 so we are good in that sense.

Our compromise was to keep local, set it to much lower than WO but still more than what the client would typically render if local was 0. This would allow the best balance of reduced local radar effect with no false security from an apparent lack of local (when some players could secretly have their own form of local tab running on their client).

Normally I would go on to say it's too bad that WU client can't be made much more secure to allow more control. I have now seen enough exploits, cheats etc to know that even a more secure client like WO is likely not as secure as many might believe. Most of these hacks seem to have a history where they were or are continuing to be used there including some tools for macroing. As a WO player I was somewhat surprised to discover this originally.

The only things we can really control are the server and what the server sends out. We can monitor or evaluate what the client sends back. We can't control and/or trust the client.

~Nappy

• Like 2

it sucks to see talented people make ways to break things instead of trying to help fix broken things

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hakameda said:

it sucks to see talented people make ways to break things instead of trying to help fix broken things

Unfortunately in WU's case we have no client security period to enable the good mods we do see so it's not really a matter of trying to fix it we just are not able to enforce any kinda personally protected clients through steam which you would need to even have a chance at combating any issues like that. So if anyone does end up taking that route, there parting way from the steam edition and would have to distribute the WU jars which code club might not be real thrilled with.

[22:19:33] Bipolarbear slain by Mootred 

[22:41:38] Tclunatic slain by Bipolarbear 

Had some fun, got caught by 4-5 mobs on me with a slow bull lol

looking forward to some more pvp

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Malev said:

server down?

Shouldn't be. I was on the server as GM about that time and according to the following link we had solid uptime during that time as well.

https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/2639/stats/

There are short reboots where I will tweak a setting or fixed something due to a support ticket. So far the restarts have always been less than 2 minutes in duration and as the server ages the need for these will reduce (the server was launched in less than two days, from idea/concept to execution and working in production so some problems were anticipated in the first week or two of the server due to the rapid configuration. We are now in week two).

~Nappy

3 hours ago, CyrusX said:

Happy 2k votes Nappy! lol

Huh?

Ah. I never really focus on those things. In fact didn't even know I had that many until now. Thanks for pointing it out I guess! :)

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 10:18 PM, Thunderstruck said:

[22:19:33] Bipolarbear slain by Mootred 

[22:41:38] Tclunatic slain by Bipolarbear 

Had some fun, got caught by 4-5 mobs on me with a slow bull lol

looking forward to some more pvp

I just wanted the title with a little poke

Nappy got bored during weekend and spawned 100k mobs

we thought this is going to nice pvp server but right now its, player vs mobs, or try to leave deed server

Edited by Malev

[09:26:13] The number of max creatures is 7500. Current number of creatures is 17375 (agg creatures:10507).

Looks like there was a spawn burst last night. Based on the numbers in the command output above it's a little less then 100k.

The number was originally set to 20,000 max. I've reset to 7500 which hopefully will reduce new spawns for awhile.

BTW: There are also currently two dragons on the server, a white one and a black one. Again server spawned.

1 hour ago, Nappy said:

[09:26:13] The number of max creatures is 7500. Current number of creatures is 17375 (agg creatures:10507).

Looks like there was a spawn burst last night. Based on the numbers in the command output above it's a little less then 100k.

The number was originally set to 20,000 max. I've reset to 7500 which hopefully will reduce new spawns for awhile.

Here's the the image created by the GM level #dumpcreatures command. I believe all deed locations are already known by all kingdoms so no spoilers are expected here.

As you can see some areas are especially blessed with mobs while others are remarkably empty. It looks like White Legion is especially blessed.

zgZCami.png

Edited by Nappy
  • Like 1

Gm working on the issues. We need to sit tight. Nice and fast response from nappy. 

Edited by Gaul
  • Like 1