Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Animals crossing server borders

Please can we change the programming so that animals can cross server borders? I'm sure it's been said before, but I'm mentioning it again because it's quite a big thing and would be particularly helpful to breeders such as myself not having to start again on every new server we go to. I understand the programming part is easier said than done, and obviously this isn't going to happen overnight, but I'm hoping this issue could be given a higher priority in future. I suppose it would make sense for creatures that can't swim not to be able to cross, but we should at least be able to lead creatures over on a boat like we can do to different parts of our own servers.

• Like 14

Animals all have unique IDs so the code totally exists for this change to be made. +1

Would likely be easiest to have some sort of load/unload feature for large boats.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 8

If this change goes through I'll have all the champs and I'll breed free champs for anyone who helped make it happen - as many champ crocs as you like :)

This could seriously affect the animal counts on all servers.  So be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

Changed mind

Edited by Yiraia
Animal Husbandry keeps getting kicked in the nuts

10 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Animals all have unique IDs so the code totally exists for this change to be made. +1

Would likely be easiest to have some sort of load/unload feature for large boats.

I was under the impression that animals have unique IDs per server?  Totally not certain about that, just a discussion I vaguely remember while talking about mods on WU.  They did seem to find a way around it there, if true, though since they use tokens to move horses across servers.  Happy to be corrected.

Also, just some background reading for anyone interested:

14 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

This could seriously affect the animal counts on all servers.  So be careful what you wish for.

Very good point.

So while I'd +1 the idea in general, it might need some kind of background script that would balance animal populations accordingly.  As Attenia noted, easier said than done.

25 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

I highly doubt that a limited amount of animals being movable per boat could possibly affect the animal counts more than obsessive breeders do tbh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lolabelle said:

I don't see how a few hundred horses (if ever) will make a difference in the long run for a server with a mob count of over 25k

You are still limited by deed ratios, so if you breed them or move them, the total # of animals a deed can hold is the same

Its more a quality of life change - imagine being able to take your horse when you go exploring other servers instead of needing to beg for a horse, ANY horse on the target server.....

• Like 2

Absolute +1 to this one. would greatly help breeder sales and cross breeding of rare animals like champs.

Might have to do with not wanting Chaos-players to breed all the animals they need there in the safety of PVE, to take them over only once needed (and they do seem to use quite a number of animals in pvp, what with all the killing of them - so it might also bring up the bred-animals number noticeably on the pve-servers)?

22 minutes ago, Kianga said:

Might have to do with not wanting Chaos-players to breed all the animals they need there in the safety of PVE, to take them over only once needed (and they do seem to use quite a number of animals in pvp, what with all the killing of them - so it might also bring up the bred-animals number noticeably on the pve-servers)?

What? Pvp pets are incredibly rarely used. Where did you get this information? Did you guess it and hope you were right and noone would call you out on it? Do you just mean horses, the things that everyone has tonnes of on every server and noone in their right mind would do off server and suffer sailing to transport around?

If someone had suggested to me a breeding program on freedom to then ship bred animals onto chaos while i was chief of MR i'd have laughed and asked why the hell they couldn't just do that on chaos in one of our numerous completely safe deeds like everyone else does.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

Yes, I was thinking of horses in the first place (which seem to be killed routinely whenever someones deed gets raided/flattened, or so I read and get told) - and probably also some champ-pets, though those don't get used all too often as far as I am hearing. No I am not guessing - and don't act as if I am accusing you of some heavy crime please - it's just a guess (yes that part is a guess) why perhaps Rolf chose to keep animals on their own servers. No more, no less - so take it easy, pff.

+1 for x animals of y size per z boat volume.

Example rowboats hold nothing, caravel could hold one champion sized pet. Everything in between is scaled to it's RL size.  I.e a corbita could hold two domestic sized horses/cows/bulls 

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

+1 about time... to let people bring their most trusted or silly-named horses trough the borders .. and bring them for slaughter to the rift bunnies;)

Its something i may look at, but it would have to exclude uniques.

And i'd like to have a new boat type for transporting animals..

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Tich said:

And i'd like to have a new boat type for transporting animals..

Will it look like an ark and be measured in cubics ;)

Edited by ClericGunem

2 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

1 per boat i guess

no that's not right.  even in the old days they would take alot of them. when they did prob was feeding them. i feel it should be able to do 4 and a wagon. that way its like a transport and they should go SLOW!!! 1/2 the speed of the slowest boat. normally they flat bottom boats. and bigger ships like caravels. give a reason for people to buy them because atm they pointless. tich if ya need pics and  reading info how it was done back in day yell ill put some stuff together. or you could just use a spell aka put animal to sleep put in crate load its got a timer on it if not unloaded befor timer ends it dies in transport

On 12/29/2016 at 1:40 AM, Kianga said:

Super easy to breed any type of animal on chaos, where do you get this misconception that its dangerous to do on chaos?