Sign in to follow this  
Evening

Things badly needing a cosmetic overhaul

Beds.

They're ugly and not matching the new fancy furniture at all.

Bed.png

big -1. most of the new furniture have that generic IKEA look. Beds are one of the few left that have different wood textures. the one you have chosen is probably the most ugly one.  apple and cherry look very pretty.

• Like 8

i would rather want to see some form of consistency of ql and optics through all the furniture (all high skill items, the same wood look/colors etc. and same for lower ql category)

I like the rustic style of bed, but I don't like it how tables and chairs barely fit to them.....or how more fancy furniture is so dark and slick it doesn't fit at all with anything else than the pieces that came out together with them....(namely, things like cupboard, coffer, bedside table).

Wurm could really benefit from decorational item overhaul with one art direction.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Evening said:

Beds.

They're ugly and not matching the new fancy furniture at all.

lol to be fair none of the new wooden furniture match each other either. They're 50 shades of brown

• Like 1

Just now, Aeris said:

lol to be fair none of the new wooden furniture match each other either. They're 50 shades of brown

The only matching fancy furniture are the ships :P I always feel like I'm sailing in a wardrobe, look wise, but the old beds are looking pretty bad, no matter the wood type (I chose the pic from wiki, for convenience).

Just look at those bed sheets .. every time I sleep in one of them, I'm expecting fleas, itchy skin and odd smells >.>

I don't mean turning beds into a "new furniture" item, but rather keeping their wood type, yet making them more visual appealing.

Ugly bed have to be ugly. I cannot imagine poor hermits sleeping in beds made by artists. 

10 minutes ago, Evening said:

Just look at those bed sheets .. every time I sleep in one of them, I'm expecting fleas, itchy skin and odd smells >.>

I've gotta admit that wood texture on them always have made me think of termites or bed bugs. I still prefer the bed we had prior to this one, though I guess not many would appreciate getting those back aside from me. x)

Once the carts become john deers, the beds can match the era tech.

I agree, a lot of things are generic and hideous, but that bed is a bad example :D

Idc about beds specifically but its annoying that wooden bridges don't match textures with wooden floors. kinda messes with bridges connected buildings.

In terms of cosmetics though I plenty more things need to be dyed and the way dying works should be fixed. My Fo priest wants a set of pink plate armor with a pink sword and a pink large shield.

+1 for cosmetics!

Much as you might be right - but still a big -1. Far too afraid any tinkering with them would mean the loss of one of the very few things with woodtextures showing that came through the 'lets take it out now 'cause some time in a far future we might get something else for it'-era unscathed - lets keep it that way, in other words don't let anyone touch it in any way please.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

'badly' is tiny bit extreme word :D.. game needs more options for useful and not just decorative furniture *maybe* :huh:?

maybe to make it possible to sleep on a royal lounge chaise ? ("perfect bed" for unexpected guests :lol:)

1-2 other bed versions to be added or to make them moddable, add fancy sheets? fine-carp improvements to old beds?

as it is.. there's simple bed .. and canopy bed which is kind of enough.. it's just an exit from the game.. serves no purpose while playing..

I'd very much like a range of options for each item that was consistent. Like if beds went from "Heap of straw and furs on the floor" to "rough bed" to "fancy bed" to "canopy Bed" with similar progression for other items.

• Like 2

^^Love this. I love our ugly old beds, but I would love some cohesive artistic design as well. In levels of fancy, from hovel to castle.

I just wish the wood type still had an effect on the appearance. As it stands there are very few items left that it actually makes a difference, the beds being one of them.

Here is a video from nearly 2 years ago, mentioning the loss of customization that came from these updated textures, and how it sort of took away from the "charm". Apparently being able to dye bsb's (without using bugged containers) was in the works, but must have been scrapped...

• Like 2

I just want the different wood types for carpentry items ie beds, bsbs etc put back in the game, there was mention ages ago of the reason they were taken out. Has there been any response about why they are not back in now from the devs? Or any eta of when they can be put back in?

Apart from that I still and always will miss the old flat coffins, wish they could be considered for a work bench . I haven't liked anything put into this game as much since then :/

• Like 1

Things badly needing a cosmetic overhaul

king cape?

• Like 1

Imho summer hats fit as well, the model predates even ships afaik.

15 hours ago, Rhianna said:

Apart from that I still and always will miss the old flat coffins, wish they could be considered for a work bench . I haven't liked anything put into this game as much since then :/

Having an ornate coffin clearly intended for corpses in your house, right next to the forge, had a bit too strong of a morgue vibe for me. Had to move all of them out to the graveyard once it became evident that the model and texture for the old coffin had apparently been misplaced and wasn't coming back :P

• Like 1

I still remember how great we all thought the current bed models were when they were first revealed :-) And now (some) people think they're ugly... Interesting how times change...

3 hours ago, Arvid said:

I still remember how great we all thought the current bed models were when they were first revealed :-) And now (some) people think they're ugly... Interesting how times change...

Granted the current bed model was a HUGE improvement over the older bed model.

I still can't stand the knarr with it's parallel square... i mean sail.

• Like 1

On 2016-12-30 at 7:57 PM, Arvid said:

To be fair I don't think I've ever expressed liking for the current bed model and I'd guess that the people praising them don't intersect with the group disliking them to a very large extent. If you've got a link to a thread where I do say that I'm willing to see it though since I could of course be wrong. But for the most part the new models and textures in the game have been subpar compared to the old ones who (in my opinion) had a much more charming and personal look to them. I still miss the old housewall textures for wooden houses for example... Though I am thankful that MrBloodworth's IKEA looking bulk storage bin textures were finally removed, even though I guess it's sad the new model isn't symmetrical (which seems to have messed with some people's layout). ;p

I think it is more that some people are nostalgic and change of the designs of objects takes some of those fond memories away from them visually. To me the bed is a great improvement over the previous one, as with most other object visual graphics. Although I do remember that the forges (and then ovens) had me lamenting the loss of the old ones. Now I find that I like them much better as well.

Also, yea the cherrywood bed looks much better that that oak one. I have one myself to leave the Wurm world behind peacefully.

=Ayes=

On 30-12-2016 at 11:59 PM, NeeNee said:

^^Is there a gallery of old models somewhere?

Good old-old beds.

zFsSE3G.png

I wouldnt mind the altars changing back to their older models, but with higher res textures on, I liked the old altars more then I do the current ones.

(bad screenshot, but its the yellow thingies in front of the collosi, I dug through 6 years of screenshots but by the looks of it, I didnt take a clear one of an altar XD)

eSKi6NS.png

Foundanother one from a silver altar (from a creepy cave on GV with all statues/coffin/altar named):

jZ3CHmt.png