Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Less painful decay on pottery items

In real life, ceramic items last... pretty much indefinitely. That's why archeologists name entire cultures after the kinds of pottery bits found in dig sites.

In Wurm, however, pottery is one of the least manageable things in terms of decay: It decays like other items, but can't be repaired, and Mend doesn't even work on it. This is especially frustrating now that we have QL-relevant items in greater use, like pottery cooking containers.

I suggest:

1. Significantly less decay on all pottery items.
  2. Let Mend work on pottery items.
  • Like 11

if Im not mistaken, pottery now also takes damage from cooking with (it seems to be?) and cannot be repaired.

Better not milk any animal with any pottery-item as container either. Container used takes quite a bit of damage from that clunky, heavy and sharp milk flowing in... ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kianga said:

Better not milk any animal with any pottery-item as container either. Container used takes quite a bit of damage from that clunky, heavy and sharp milk flowing in... ;)

Ugh, so THIS is why I have damage on my measuring jug!

I agree with the original poster's Suggestion on this issue.

Pottery in real life doesn't easily decay and pottery being found in archaeological excavations at sites of one or two thousand years old is a good illustation of that.  In WO, there's no way to repair or 'mend' it either, so that decay damage only accumulates to get worse here.

Or maybe give skilled potters the ability to repair small amounts without damaging the item, like a skilled ceramicist could in RL :) 

• Like 3

+1 Just make them repairable.  We can magically repair stone, wood, cloth, and even iron and steel with nothing but our hands, why is pottery of all things the exception?

• Like 4

On 29/12/2016 at 0:28 AM, Moddington said:

+1 Just make them repairable.  We can magically repair stone, wood, cloth, and even iron and steel with nothing but our hands, why is pottery of all things the exception?

We could implement the practice of Kintsugi *_*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandexeno said:

We could implement the practice of Kintsugi *_*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

Yeah, even if repairing them requires some kind of resource or significant skill, it would be very nice to have.

Of course, they should barely decay to begin with... it would actually make playing Wurm Archeologist a bit more fun to find old sites where nothing is intact but terraforming, the odd stone fence, and half their pottery.

+1

It is so ridiculous that pottery decays so fast while most of the ancient objects found in the world under both earth and sea in near perfect shape are the pottery ones.

They need to decay much, much slower than they do now (If at all)

It decays fast to make sure there is a market doesnt apply on this since there is barely a market for pottery items and it has always been this way (decayed fast). When things decay too fast, when your animals (hell horse nerf for example) become unusable too fast, you find it more convenient to do it yourself than buying it

Edited by Simyaci

+1
I think storage should be the deciding factor.
If they're outdoors they decay, if they're indoors or in a mine.. maybe they don't.

just a thought

Edited by Steveleeb
typo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

+1
I think storage should be the deciding factor.
If they're outdoors they decay, if they're indoors or in a mine.. maybe they don't.

just a thought

+1

I would like to see overall less decay ticks on pottery still, regardless of whether it was left inside or outside, of course faster ticks outside. Just an overall haul to decay would be lovely on them. Since Osten makes a fantastic point, got to fix some Wogic, right?