Sign in to follow this  
Rasu

Please tone down the snow texture or make it optional

I have no problem with a weather/off toggle, or allowing people to run a modified texture set not unlike the Spider Phobia option

I just don't want to see Winters gimped for everyone.

As Klaa noted: Some love it, some don't

Sweden:    Snö? Mer är bättre!

car-covered-in-snow-in-sweden-1.jpg

Oregon:  Drivers abandon cars on highway after 1-3 inches

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/people-abandon-cars-portland-ore-1-3-snow-article-1.2912092

Pris-Dans-La-Neige-_2.jpg?t=39ef1eed4113

silly oregonians....

• Like 2

Winter is optional if you know what to do.

Have the game disconnect so it shows the reconnecting page once or twice. This can easily be done by just disabling your network connection for a short time (unplug it for 5 seconds and plug it back in). Distant trees will have snow on them but the ground and all near trees will be in spring/summer 

I would be nice though to have spotty snow textures that sill show bits of the ground under it. Its really annoying when you cant tell what tile is which from a quick glance. 

Edited by blayze
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rasu said:

Like a lot of things before this. If you ###### enough they will fix it.

That doesn't justify it in the slightest.

As for the issue of too bright, that would be a client-side issue easily fixed by adjusting your settings, which, has been said every time.

1 hour ago, Shrimpiie said:

As for the issue of too bright, that would be a client-side issue easily fixed by adjusting your settings, which, has been said every time.

You resurface to claim that every time, doesn't make it more true because you insist on it.

Try to picture a scenario in which both your version and our version of how the snow looks exists inside the same realm as parallel realities and you'll get the picture. We believe that your reality exists because you have told us about it, now please try to accept that ours does too because we have described it to you.

Your reality doesn't affect ours and ours doesn't affect yours, but every time you shoot down the very existence of ours it means that nothing will ever be done to improve ours. This even though changes made to our reality wouldn't affect yours, so even if you don't believe in ours you have no valid reason for shooting us down so please - At least give us the benefit of the doubt even if you can't imagine what our reality looks like.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

That doesn't justify it in the slightest.

Like it's been said I have adjusted settings in my client and none prevent me from having eyes that feel like they are about to bleed after an hour. I don't even run my monitors on the bright side likes others and it's always been an issue for me every time winter hits in game. 

Edited by Rasu

Maybe its monitor, maybe it is games.

My monitor must have great gradient/ contrast setup because I have no trouble discerning where i am and what is going in in any game even on darkest settings, in game. My monitor is set to a fairly middle settings profile.

I hate bright lights.

Wurm snow is a flat, -snow in the shade- texture. I dont have nuclear cotton candy. I really dont know where your problem comes from, unless settings are wildin out.

Although at Tulum, its either pavement or nuclear grass and snow dusted hedges so, I really like winter.

My issue only comes from quick spotting ground tiles. I would like a variable winter option, and (climate) regional servers.

Ofc, I like dreaming.

Edited by Makarus
yech. mine spellunh.

7 hours ago, Aeris said:

People who go outside for extended periods of time when there's snow (i.e. skiing etc) do wear sunglasses since the reflected UV light is really harmful to the eyes. Wearing sunglasses indoors is something noone should ever be forced to while trying to enjoy a game.

I live in mid-northern Sweden, and I can't really support that claim. Only time I've seen people wear goggles outdoors during winter is when slalom skiing, and that is to protect the eyes from snow getting in them.

Another thing is that just because the suns UV light is reflected in snow, it doesn't mean monitors showing Wurm snow will blast your eyes with UV.

That being said, there's a great program called flux you can download for free which allows you to lower the amount of blue light displayed by your monitor, depending on the time of day. On my laptop I have this enabled 24/7. I would reccommend something like this if you feel like Wurm winters are making your eyes sore.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cecci said:

Rolf has stated that he'd prefer more winter, so posting this topic every 42nd day wont help.

I'm pretty sure the current devs respect his view on it.

When Rolf plays and has to deal with this crap every time winter comes up he can preffer what he wants.

The customer is always right and you seek to serve them and make the things they complain about more enjoyable.

You can have more winter with better textures, unless you're basically saying he wants everything white? 

We want less white more depth to the winter texture and you'll see "more winter" out of that than pure white, trust me.

1 hour ago, harald921 said:

Another thing is that just because the suns UV light is reflected in snow, it doesn't mean monitors showing Wurm snow will blast your eyes with UV.

I wasn't claiming the monitors blast you with UV light, I was hinting that it was a pointless comparison since RL snow is in fact not easy on the eyes and it's something every knowledgable physician and optometrician advise against exposing yourself to - So stating that eyestrain in Wurm is OK because there is snow in Sweden is an oxymoron.

I'm sure Klaa wasn't serious, but people tend to not take this problem seriously enough as it is so I felt it was worth pointing out regardless.

Edited by Aeris

3 hours ago, harald921 said:

I live in mid-northern Sweden, and I can't really support that claim. Only time I've seen people wear goggles outdoors during winter is when slalom skiing, and that is to protect the eyes from snow getting in them.

That being said, there's a great program called flux you can download for free which allows you to lower the amount of blue light displayed by your monitor, depending on the time of day. On my laptop I have this enabled 24/7. I would reccommend something like this if you feel like Wurm winters are making your eyes sore.

When wurm is the only game that causes me eye strain during winter why would I use a piece of software to fix a piece of software when they ones who code said software can fix it themselves.

a couple of winters ago i bumped all the anti-snow threads i could find. (very many)
this time i bumped a snow shovel thread instead.

as always
+1

16 hours ago, Rasu said:

why would I use a piece of software to fix a piece of software when they ones who code said software can fix it themselves.

because if it works, your eyes wouldn't hurt?

I did a quick search, very quick actually.  Found threads dating all the way to 2011.

Yep, Rolf made winter shorter than he wants it to be already.He likes winter.

He still owns this game and decides, whining every 42 days wont help.

Five years of whining on this topic is clearly cluttering the forum.

Try to respect the man who created this place for us.

It is always same few whiners that come back in every topic on the subject also.

Had it been an issue for the majority these topics would have way more participants.

Has anyone affected tried manipulating gamma-settings to make it easier on their eyes? Perhaps just lower the whole of gamma - or perhaps taking out some of the blue by slider of particularly that channel?

21 hours ago, Rasu said:

When wurm is the only game that causes me eye strain during winter why would I use a piece of software to fix a piece of software when they ones who code said software can fix it themselves.

If it's not that much of a problem that you don't fix the problem when given the tools to do so, then it's probably not so much of a problem that the devs have to spend time fixing it. At least that is my opinion on it.

7 hours ago, Cecci said:

Yep, Rolf made winter shorter than he wants it to be already.He likes winter.

Five years of whining on this topic is clearly cluttering the forum.

It is always same few whiners that come back in every topic on the subject also.

Had it been an issue for the majority these topics would have way more participants.

Show some respect and stop trying to derail a topic.

5 hours ago, Kianga said:

Has anyone affected tried manipulating gamma-settings to make it easier on their eyes? Perhaps just lower the whole of gamma - or perhaps taking out some of the blue by slider of particularly that channel?

When it comes down to having to adjust your settings for a single season in a game something is wrong.

4 hours ago, harald921 said:

If it's not that much of a problem that you don't fix the problem when given the tools to do so, then it's probably not so much of a problem that the devs have to spend time fixing it. At least that is my opinion on it.

You should never have to rely on third party software to fix an issue that exists in a game. Which is why many games tend to implement mods into the actual game.

1 hour ago, Rasu said:

You should never have to rely on third party software to fix an issue that exists in a game. Which is why many games tend to implement mods into the actual game.

Not untrue, but here's on way to think about it.

If a toaster company gets 95 glowing reviews saying the toast tastes great, and 5 negative reviews saying the toast tastes awful, I don't think they're going to rewire the toaster.

Now say I'm one of the 5 who don't like the toast, but I know this is a unique toaster and I don't want another one.

If there's a way I can jury rig the toaster to tweak how the toast tastes to my liking, I would grab the screwdriver, pliers and soldering iron. (do not try this at home!

I don't think foregoing toast is a good option, and I'm not suggesting you do.

People unaffected by this are trying to offer solutions to help you guys even though they could just as easily brush it off and not spend a second thinking about it.  You may have already heard the solutions offered, but that doesn't negate the fact that we're trying.

keep the supernova-bright winter as it is.. by default.. but add an option to tone it down or something like that... for the sake of people's eyes and minds, many have pulled their network cables to escape from the white-blindness.

have mercy :rolleyes:-_- +1

3 hours ago, Reylaark said:

Not untrue, but here's on way to think about it.

If a toaster company gets 95 glowing reviews saying the toast tastes great, and 5 negative reviews saying the toast tastes awful, I don't think they're going to rewire the toaster.

Now say I'm one of the 5 who don't like the toast, but I know this is a unique toaster and I don't want another one.

If there's a way I can jury rig the toaster to tweak how the toast tastes to my liking, I would grab the screwdriver, pliers and soldering iron. (do not try this at home!

I don't think foregoing toast is a good option, and I'm not suggesting you do.

People unaffected by this are trying to offer solutions to help you guys even though they could just as easily brush it off and not spend a second thinking about it.  You may have already heard the solutions offered, but that doesn't negate the fact that we're trying.

2 things 1 its more like half the game population and 2 there are many models of toasters on the market and only 1 Wurm Online.

On 12/29/2016 at 0:07 AM, Cecci said:

The "whiners" happen to be the ones funding the game.

The gaming industry did a great job at convincing the most gullible of a massive fallacy.  The minute you got people paying for your product, they become your customers, not your subordinates.

Wurm, being so niche, is a clear example of what happens if you treat your customers like subordinates.  You wind up with a game that could crush multi-billion dollar Minecraft unable to reach ten thousand players.  

Just to compound matters in this game, then you got the schadenfreude-fueled Twelve Doctriners resisting changes that don't affect them directly but would make the game more enjoyable to many because of some personal feelings.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  It's not WU killing WO, it's Wurmians and the whole "You gave me money for my product, now you must obey my whims".

• Like 1

You can't say that the Wurm team didn't listen.  Winter is now half its proper length, thank you very little, so let's drop that right there.

Also, it might help to imagine that the Wurm team are in the majority.  That is, the majority of people who don't see the issue.  And if they don't see the issue, how are they supposed to produce textures to fix it?  That's a technical question.  How could Saroman, for instance, make art to a standard he couldn't perceive?  That is probably what you are asking someone, some real person, to do.

Maybe instead we need sunglasses. Perfectly serious.  Either a physical object in game that does something like real glasses over the camera, or fudged by simply changing a user's settings when 'glasses' were worn.  Then extend winter to a more reasonable length, thank you *grumble*.

big_thumb_ae584f7ef9ee662cda3e2f929926e7

8679607-birch-grove-under-snow-on-sunny-

stock-photo-snowy-mountains-australia-su

Conclusion, Wurm snow doesn't need its radioactive shine.

Just implement a slider to tone it all the way down, please.

It'd take two seconds to just add a slider that lowers the brightness of the tile textures. There are already options to disable high res tile textures so I imagine an option or slider to lower the brightness, contrast or whatever is necessary shouldn't be too difficult. It'd really help alot of people while not affecting those who like the snow.