Talor

[released] Survival Mod : Temperature, crop seasons & drinking water

Recommended Posts

This is perfect! <3
I'm all for making survival more realistic and challenging, and this is something I've wanted in Wurm for a very long time.

I can't wait to load it up on my server and scream to myself "I regret nothing!" when I freeze to death. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2016 at 8:34 AM, Talor said:

Have you ever wanted to freeze to death, or contract waterborne diseases? Now you can!

 

Things that keep you warm: Summer, daytime, fires (fireplace/campfire/forge/etc.), being indoors, wearing warm clothing, eating hot food and drinking tea
Things that make you cold: Winter, night, strong winds, rain, swimming, high altitudes and standing on snow tiles

 

Drinking sea water or lake water may give you disease status. This can be avoided by boiling the  water. Water from wells and fountains is safe and does not require boiling. Other safe options are wine, milk, fruit juices, etc.

 

Each crop has a growing season. These seasons are longer closer to sea level, and if you have north/south mode enabled, then growing seasons are much longer in the south.

 

There are several configurable options, including being able to enable/disable the temperature, drinking water & crop growth features independently.

 

Latest release (download survival.zip): https://github.com/modsandstuff/survival/releases/latest

 

(Requires Ago's server mod loader)

Could you please clarify for me what would be considered each season specifically? I have settings to enable North/South, and I have a northern player asking me what they can grow in the spring-time or any other time.
Does North/South just limit how long the seasons last, and how do we know when a season is over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zera said:

Could you please clarify for me what would be considered each season specifically? I have settings to enable North/South, and I have a northern player asking me what they can grow in the spring-time or any other time.
Does North/South just limit how long the seasons last, and how do we know when a season is over?

 

The mod takes into account the time of year and the altitude, as well as the north/south position if this feature is enabled. This generates a temperature value. Each crop has a minimum temperature that it requires to grow.

 

The crops are grouped into five broad categories:
 
Coldest: Potatoes, garlic, onions
Cold: Carrots, cabbage, sugar beat, peas
Normal: Barley, wheat, rye, oats, reeds, lettuce
Warm: Corn, pumpkins, wemp, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumber
Warmest: Cotton, rice

 

So, the growing seasons will be longer in the south and shorter in the north. The crops towards the top of this list will have longer growing seasons, so are probably more suitable for people farming in the north.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Talor said:

 

The mod takes into account the time of year and the altitude, as well as the north/south position if this feature is enabled. This generates a temperature value. Each crop has a minimum temperature that it requires to grow.

 

The crops are grouped into five broad categories:
 
Coldest: Potatoes, garlic, onions
Cold: Carrots, cabbage, sugar beat, peas
Normal: Barley, wheat, rye, oats, reeds, lettuce
Warm: Corn, pumpkins, wemp, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumber
Warmest: Cotton, rice

 

So, the growing seasons will be longer in the south and shorter in the north. The crops towards the top of this list will have longer growing seasons, so are probably more suitable for people farming in the north.

Yes, but how can we tell ingame what season it is..

Like, I have to best guess based on long-standing /mytemp outside?

Or "Oh it's 'wurm week x starfall, blah blah' so it must be around X type of season"

 

You basically just pasted a post you'd already posted to this thread and provided no extra information at all. :(

But "minimum" so I'm led to believe that I can always grow potatoes? Since you can't get any colder than 'cold' or how does this minimum work in that regard? Is Coldest the very bottom?

 

I was hoping for more of something.. Maybe even that "calculation" it performs so we can get a real idea. How do we know what the temperature is, outside of our own temperature.. That's what I'm getting at here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Talor said:

So I saw this:

if(verboseLogging) logger.log(Level.INFO, "crop: " + crop + " at temperature " + simpleTemperature + ", min grow temp for this crop is: " + minGrowTemp);

 

How do you get that to trigger?

 

Also I don't understand much past the very few first things on java, so trying to understand how to even attempt to process an equation there is very difficult if not impossible for me.

 

If I can't begin to even semi-understand WHEN a season is, I can't expect my players to either. Which means no one is going to enjoy a system that is 100% a guessing game while we all starve to death in the process.

Edited by Zera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone that lived up north have any tips for me? It is currently spring time on the server I play on and i can not last any more than 20 minutes outside without freezing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:08 AM, Zera said:

So I saw this:

if(verboseLogging) logger.log(Level.INFO, "crop: " + crop + " at temperature " + simpleTemperature + ", min grow temp for this crop is: " + minGrowTemp);

 

How do you get that to trigger?

 

Also I don't understand much past the very few first things on java, so trying to understand how to even attempt to process an equation there is very difficult if not impossible for me.

 

If I can't begin to even semi-understand WHEN a season is, I can't expect my players to either. Which means no one is going to enjoy a system that is 100% a guessing game while we all starve to death in the process.

 

You can enable verbose logging by adding this line to your .properties file (It outputs quite a lot of information to the server console, and is only intended for debugging/testing):

verboseLogging=true

 

There isn't a 'starve to death' mechanic.

 

18 hours ago, floatinontree said:

Does anyone that lived up north have any tips for me? It is currently spring time on the server I play on and i can not last any more than 20 minutes outside without freezing.

  • Wear wool/cloth clothing of high quality.
  • Take hot food and drink with you - eating/drinking these will warm you up.
  • Always carry a hatchet, steel & flint and a little kindling. Use these to make campfires every now and then.
  • Try to avoid going outside during night time, or when there are strong winds or rain.

Also the seasons change gradually, the closer you get to summer, the warmer it will get.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Talor said:

 

You can enable verbose logging by adding this line to your .properties file (It outputs quite a lot of information to the server console, and is only intended for debugging/testing):

verboseLogging=true

 

There isn't a 'starve to death' mechanic.

 

No, there isn't. But you can "starve" enough to be unable to fast anymore, or hardly keep up with your food bar among other things due to lack of crops.

And while I figured that out, setting that to "true" that doesn't answer my question on how to trigger a message like to appear. Yes that needs to be toggled on, but does that periodically display every so often for EVERY crop planted? Or does it only display when someone plants something?

 

Cause you know, it could be a very useful way to figure out what season you're in or whatever.. Since nothing we have so far has helped us in any-way shape or form in figuring that out as far as crops go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to point out, that for some reason my fountains are having 1QL water in them.
They are 30QL fountains, but I don't recall the QL of the fountain/well effecting water quality in the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zera said:

I'd like to point out, that for some reason my fountains are having 1QL water in them.
They are 30QL fountains, but I don't recall the QL of the fountain/well effecting water quality in the thread.

 

There was a bug that caused this in an old version of the mod, but this was fixed. I just tested with a 30ql fountain and the water was 100ql and did not decay.

 

Which version of the mod are you using? And which version of WU server?

 

If you were using an old version, remove the water from the fountain and it should refill with 100ql.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Talor said:

 

There was a bug that caused this in an old version of the mod, but this was fixed. I just tested with a 30ql fountain and the water was 100ql and did not decay.

 

Which version of the mod are you using? And which version of WU server?

 

If you were using an old version, remove the water from the fountain and it should refill with 100ql.

The server is version 1.3.5.5
And the version of the mod is "

Version 0.7

@modsandstuffmodsandstuff released this on Mar 12

"

I simply clicked your "latest" link on the OP of the thread when I installed.

 

They intially fill with 100QL water, but it does decay over time. I have pushed/pulled off the source tile, emptied, replaced on the tile and waited and my QL of water is 1-7 (I don't recall) on a Deed, in a 30QL decorative fountain.

Edited by Zera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, Zera said:

They intially fill with 100QL water, but it does decay over time. I have pushed/pulled off the source tile, emptied, replaced on the tile and waited and my QL of water is 1-7 (I don't recall) on a Deed, in a 30QL decorative fountain.

 

Ah, ornamental fountains still had the bug, so I've just released a new version so water in ornamental fountains will not decay in quality. I'm guessing this is what you have, as decorative fountains do not fill with water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is wonderful mod! That is what Wurm needed for many years! Thank you!

I setup this mod on my server Hyperborea in test mode, because I plan to create a new huge map within the next 2-4 months. And I'm sure it will install on a new map as well! It really fits in with the concept of dividing the biomes.

Edited by Boyar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

suggestions:
caves need to be made cold for dwelling

Could you please make the recovery process after injuries more complicated, for example:
Hard and severe wounds could be more dangerous for survival  and require complex treatment - washing by water 100ql, usage of healing covers and bandage. If they are not treated properly, this leads to puosis and infections, which in turn involves the effects of fever and chills - you must send the temperature down.
And if you can, please add hardcore option like ironwill, when a character dies, he is removed from the database. Thanks!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our players noticed an exploit in the game mechanics with this mode, which allowed to rise "first aid" and "healing" skills quickly. Being in the cold conditions (mountains, caves, water etc.) , the players  intentionally get cold and then rise their skills of healing using cotton, as it's very effective against wounds from freezing injuries. Is it possible to change the type of the wounds into the same as for the burns? In this case, this will require the usage of a farmer's salve, which in turn, will help to avoid this exploit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, Ulfhrafn said:

Hello, is there any server currently running this mod?

 

I think there are a few that run the mod, but I don't keep track of them. I know this server runs it though:

 

 

5 hours ago, Boyar said:

suggestions:
caves need to be made cold for dwelling

Could you please make the recovery process after injuries more complicated, for example:
Hard and severe wounds could be more dangerous for survival  and require complex treatment - washing by water 100ql, usage of healing covers and bandage. If they are not treated properly, this leads to puosis and infections, which in turn involves the effects of fever and chills - you must send the temperature down.
And if you can, please add hardcore option like ironwill, when a character dies, he is removed from the database. Thanks!
 

 

lol, a permadeath mod could be fun - I might make that, but have it as a distinct mod.

 

Why do caves need to be cold? As it stands, caves can be used as temporary shelters when out exploring etc.

 

33 minutes ago, Boyar said:

Our players noticed an exploit in the game mechanics with this mode, which allowed to rise "first aid" and "healing" skills quickly. Being in the cold conditions (mountains, caves, water etc.) , the players  intentionally get cold and then rise their skills of healing using cotton, as it's very effective against wounds from freezing injuries. Is it possible to change the type of the wounds into the same as for the burns? In this case, this will require the usage of a farmer's salve, which in turn, will help to avoid this exploit.

 

They can do the same thing by having a few weak mobs attacking them or anything else that causes small wounds. So a change like you suggest would only displace rather than 'fix' the issue. And I think it would make general gameplay more frustrating for players who genuinely want to heal wounds from being cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hakameda said:

Have you updated for 1.4?

 

 

While I haven't tested it extensively, I don't think anything broke with the update to 1.4. (So far none of the WU updates have broken the mod - touch wood)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only had 1 issue with it on 1.3, If you foraged something outside of the world border i threw an npe. Mostly from the map we used last time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hakameda said:

I only had 1 issue with it on 1.3, If you foraged something outside of the world border i threw an npe. Mostly from the map we used last time

 

I just tested foraging outside the world border using 1.4 and didn't get a crash. Perhaps it was a different mod causing the npe? In any case, seems fine now as far as I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It popped as your mod throwing it, Removing your mod did let the server load. We had a map with no water border. I don't got the errors anymore but going to put your mod on again for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just released a new version with configurable maximum wound sizes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are our hero! Great mod!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now