Sign in to follow this  
Talor

[released] Survival Mod : Temperature, crop seasons & drinking water

Recommended Posts

Thought about some other features to consider for this mod:

 

- How about season and weather impacting movement speed?

 

For example - winter is traditionally a hard time to move around (at least until we learn about cross country skiis and dog sleds). Perhaps movement speeds are 50% in winter, 75% in spring and fall (muddy/soft earth) and 100% in summer (hard packed roads although ruts would have been a factor in real life too).

 

Of course this could conflict with other mods including potentially popular movemod

 

- Foraging and botanizing seasonal connection

 

Nothing available to botanize or forage in winter (or perhaps only one time per tile until season done)

- Limited foraging in spring (25% chance of success perhaps)

- More available in summer (50%)

- Everything in fall (100%)

 

- Would be neat if mob spawn was impacted by season too

 

In winter just things like wolves. In summer everything, spring fall some where in between.

 

Just ideas to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Thought about some other features to consider for this mod:

 

- How about season and weather impacting movement speed?

 

For example - winter is traditionally a hard time to move around (at least until we learn about cross country skiis and dog sleds). Perhaps movement speeds are 50% in winter, 75% in spring and fall (muddy/soft earth) and 100% in summer (hard packed roads although ruts would have been a factor in real life too).

 

Of course this could conflict with other mods including potentially popular movemod

 

- Foraging and botanizing seasonal connection

 

Nothing available to botanize or forage in winter (or perhaps only one time per tile until season done)

- Limited foraging in spring (25% chance of success perhaps)

- More available in summer (50%)

- Everything in fall (100%)

 

- Would be neat if mob spawn was impacted by season too

 

In winter just things like wolves. In summer everything, spring fall some where in between.

 

Just ideas to consider.

 

Interesting.

 

Being able to forage and botanise different items based on the seasons would be pretty cool. I think this could work well with the north/south modifier also, so by travelling to the north/south you might be able to find/grow items that are still out of season elsewhere.

 

Varying spawns based on the seasons sounds good also - I haven't looked into this at all, so no idea how possible this is.

 

The movement penalties sounds realistic, but I would be worried it would only be frustrating in terms of gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clatius said:

Enabled the water portion of the mod. My well went from 100ql yesterday afternoon to 73ql last night. This morning it is 1ql. I'll empty i out and see what happens. BTW, downloaded the mod yesterday so yeah, it's the latest.

 

Okay I found the bug. Sorry about that. I just released a new version with the following change:

  • Fix to wells, so that they fill with 100ql water

(After updating to this version, you will need to empty water out of any wells)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Talor said:

 

Interesting.

 

Being able to forage and botanise different items based on the seasons would be pretty cool. I think this could work well with the north/south modifier also, so by travelling to the north/south you might be able to find/grow items that are still out of season elsewhere.

 

Varying spawns based on the seasons sounds good also - I haven't looked into this at all, so no idea how possible this is.

 

The movement penalties sounds realistic, but I would be worried it would only be frustrating in terms of gameplay.

 

Meant to mention the impact of rain on travel as well. Rain softens ground therefore temporary speed reduction when in rain due to mud etc. Agreed that could be frustrating. On the PVP side that could lead to more realistic impact on warfare more in line with what real life would have been like. Few ancient to medieval armies were on campaign in winter months.

 

I will try to think of other ideas from time to time provided it's useful to you.

 

~Nappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2017 at 1:44 AM, Talor said:

 

I just tested again with a well and the water is filling up with 100ql water. Can you make sure you have downloaded the most recent version of the mod, and then removed any low-ql water from the well? It should fill with 100ql water, but if it doesn't let me know.

 

What is the meditation mod? Can you link to its forum page?

Ok I'll make sure again I have the new version.  

 

I'm using this one 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2017 at 10:22 AM, Talor said:

 

Interesting.

 

Being able to forage and botanise different items based on the seasons would be pretty cool. I think this could work well with the north/south modifier also, so by travelling to the north/south you might be able to find/grow items that are still out of season elsewhere.

 

Varying spawns based on the seasons sounds good also - I haven't looked into this at all, so no idea how possible this is.

 

The movement penalties sounds realistic, but I would be worried it would only be frustrating in terms of gameplay.

 

Yea lets be honest here, the sky is the limit with what you can for "realistism". But how much of that will actually equate to quality gameplay and not just constant headache. 

 

The forage/botanize thing could be good and would give you more reason to explore the land in which you live. The stuff that would hinder transport like rain and stuff... i think would be going a bit far and make for more headache than engaging gameplay. Reason being that peoples living in those climates have adapted to their surroundings and as such have devised ways to travel in the winter less inhibited. We can no do that here.... i cant attach sleds to my cart. or make a dog sled team(i would love for this by the way. But case being they adapt and well we can't really adapt except to accept the fact that during winter we can't go anywhere because we get  cold real fast and move real slow.....

 

 

Just my 2 cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, we need some way to adjust the severity of this. Otherwise you just piss people off and they quit and go someplace else because they can't do anything for a week except stare at a fire. A night only penalty would work ok so they can at least go outside during the day and not die.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My server with survival mod will not start now.

If I disable the mod, it workes.

Compatability issue with WU 1.3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, Clatius said:

Again, we need some way to adjust the severity of this. Otherwise you just piss people off and they quit and go someplace else because they can't do anything for a week except stare at a fire. A night only penalty would work ok so they can at least go outside during the day and not die.

 

I will probably add in an 'easy mode' option, which will do the opposite of the current 'hard mode'. I assume you're running it with hard mode disabled already?

 

4 hours ago, Jukken said:

My server with survival mod will not start now.

If I disable the mod, it workes.

Compatability issue with WU 1.3?

 

It works with 1.3, but maybe a conflict with another mod or something like that. Can you paste the exception/error message from the server console when it doesn't start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

because..nothing is growing in the winter

 

maybe you can look at this?

 

thanks Eject

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mystic Highlands is using the Winter Mod (Adapted yes)

 

But our server is working just fine. Our guess is its a conflict with another mod as Talor says.

 

hope you get it fixed !

 

Valiance and Kaylie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you mean me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jukken said:

My server with survival mod will not start now.

If I disable the mod, it workes.

Compatability issue with WU 1.3?

 

Also, make sure you have updated to the latest version of ago's server mod loader.

 

4 hours ago, Eject said:

because..nothing is growing in the winter

 

maybe you can look at this?

 

thanks Eject

 

Crop growth during winter is a configurable feature than you can enable/disable in the properties file. If you set "noCropsInWinter=false" then the crops will grow as normal.

 

I probably won't add shovelling snow to this mod. IRL, crops do not grow in winter due to the colder temperature and lack of sunlight, not just because of the snow. As someone else mentioned, some crops can be grown during winter, and I'll probably address this in a future version of the mod by adding different growing seasons for each crop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talor said:

 

Also, make sure you have updated to the latest version of ago's server mod loader.

 

 

Ah, that did the trick.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Talor said:

I probably won't add shovelling snow to this mod. IRL, crops do not grow in winter due to the colder temperature and lack of sunlight, not just because of the snow. As someone else mentioned, some crops can be grown during winter, and I'll probably address this in a future version of the mod by adding different growing seasons for each crop.

Kind of depends how realistic you want to go. If you added glass to the game you would have glass panels. If you then added horse manure you would have a heat source (as it biodegrades it produces heat). Then add a container (think square box 4 x 4 x 3 (Length X Width X Height) which you can insert manure and a crop inside, now you have the ability to grow crops. More common in the 1700 - 1900s then it would have been in the 1200 - 1400 time frame I suspect. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

deleted

Edited by Eject

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just released an update with the following changes:

  • Made altitude modifier more realistic, so it gradually gets cooler as you go higher
  • Each crop has a minimum growing temperature
  • Growing temperature is calculated based on time of year, altitude and north/south position (if north/south mode is enabled)

This is quite a big change, so there may be some bugs, and balancing issues. If you want a stable release, then use version 0.67.

 

How Crop Seasons Work

 

The mod takes into account the time of year and the altitude, as well as the north/south position if this feature is enabled. This generates a temperature value. Each crop has a minimum temperature that it requires to grow.

 

The crops are grouped into five broad categories:

 

Coldest: Potatoes, garlic, onions

Cold: Carrots, cabbage, sugar beat, peas

Normal: Barley, wheat, rye, oats, reeds, lettuce

Warm: Corn, pumpkins, wemp, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumber

Warmest: Cotton, rice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor, the way you handle the command for /mytemp is conflicting with anyone trying to do a command via the modloader using the onPlayerMessage system. Makes onPlayerMessage not work.

 

Not positive if it is because of the return null or what but ran into an issue trying to make a custom command for someone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Xyp said:

Taylor, the way you handle the command for /mytemp is conflicting with anyone trying to do a command via the modloader using the onPlayerMessage system. Makes onPlayerMessage not work.

 

Not positive if it is because of the return null or what but ran into an issue trying to make a custom command for someone.

 

I just changed it to use the OnPlayerMessage system - I didn't realise that existed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't either until someone requested I do this mod for them lol, thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just released a new version with this change:

  • Changed 'hard mode' setting to a variable 'difficulty setting'

If you were previously using hard mode, set the difficulty to -1. If you were previously using normal mode, set the difficulty to 0. If you want an easier mode, set it to 1.

(other settings are possible, but not recommended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2017 at 11:46 AM, Talor said:

I just released a new version with this change:

  • Changed 'hard mode' setting to a variable 'difficulty setting'

If you were previously using hard mode, set the difficulty to -1. If you were previously using normal mode, set the difficulty to 0. If you want an easier mode, set it to 1.

(other settings are possible, but not recommended)

 

Thanks for this Talor. Also for everything else you have done to this mod to make it versatile. Variety is the spice of life. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi i was wondering if u could answer a few question for me about this mod.

When a wurm update is put out do we have to wait until the mod is patched to play again or can this mod continue to work fine over many patches?

If much later the server owner decides that it wants to disable the mod or remove it, does it have an easy remove function and will it corrupt the game files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Khenmew said:

Hi i was wondering if u could answer a few question for me about this mod.

When a wurm update is put out do we have to wait until the mod is patched to play again or can this mod continue to work fine over many patches?

If much later the server owner decides that it wants to disable the mod or remove it, does it have an easy remove function and will it corrupt the game files?

 

Enabling/disabling the mod should not corrupt anything. You can turn it on or off as you like.

Most patches are unlikely to break the mod, and if it does, it is likely to be a quick fix (but yes in that case you might need to temporarily disable the mod until I patch it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this