Sign in to follow this  
Talor

[released] Survival Mod : Temperature, crop seasons & drinking water

Oh wow, no, don't import it -- just view it :) If nothing in the certificate properties showed invalid there shouldn't be any issue.

It's hosted at Microsoft's OneDrive storage. Firefox should almost certainly work if it's a recent version as they use their own Mozilla NSS to handle cryptography rather than the operating system's own crypto APIs.

running a fresh install of firefox - 

An error occurred during a connection to 1drv.ms. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

could it be put up on google drive? (its free)

Here you go pal, though don't count on me to keep it updated. :) https://drive.google.com/open?id=19qprw6KkJ-OIYelagM8EbFkJE33gmv65

I'd really look into that SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP issue further though. That could impair your secure connectivity for a range of websites. You could debug this easier if you had the OpenSSL client installed, then you could debug this by using commands:

openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -servername 1drv.ms -tls1_2
openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -servername 1drv.ms -tls1_1
openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -servername 1drv.ms -tls1
openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -servername 1drv.ms -ssl3
openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -tls1_2
openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -tls1_1
openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -tls1
openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -ssl3

They will attempt to establish a TLS or SSL connection with "1drv.ms" on the HTTPS port. The first 4 commands will make use of SNI and the last 4 will not. The ones with "-ssl3" should ideally not work.

The part of interest will be near the end of the text output, something like this:

New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
Server public key is 2048 bit
Secure Renegotiation IS supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
No ALPN negotiated
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1.2
    Cipher    : ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256

If a connection establishes you can simply put "QUIT" (in caps) and it'll exit gracefully.

Edited by Adambean

I noticed this on one help page, which was discussing how sometimes browser extensions cause the issue, unsure if it would help at all but it seems an easy thing to try:

""When you face ssl connection error, try launching Google Chrome in Incognito mode and load the same web page with ssl connection error in incognito mode. If you are able to access the webpage, you can be sure that one of your extensions is giving this error.""

maybe see also:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-err_ssl_protocol_error-google-chrome

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

cheers for the link.

i doubt its an extention issue as a: its effecting every browser including internet explorer and b: I did a fresh install of Firefox so it def had no extensions at all.

Running those openssl cmds - 

C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win64\bin>openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -servername 1drv.ms -tls1_2
s_client: Option unknown option -tls1_2?

C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win64\bin>openssl.exe s_client -connect 1drv.ms:443 -servername 1drv.ms -tls1_1
CONNECTED(00000144)
10812:error:14094410:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert handshake failure:ssl\record\rec_layer_s3.c:1536:SSL alert number 40
---
no peer certificate available
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
SSL handshake has read 7 bytes and written 120 bytes
Verification: OK
---
New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
No ALPN negotiated
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1.1
    Cipher    : 0000
    Session-ID:
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key:
    PSK identity: None
    PSK identity hint: None
    SRP username: None
    Start Time: 1560714846
    Timeout   : 7200 (sec)
    Verify return code: 0 (ok)
    Extended master secret: no
---

similar responses to the others, ssl was an unknown option

Does this mean I dont have any certs for TLS encryption? how do i connect to other secure sites then? This is literally the very first time I have encountered this issue. I dont have a problem with any other site.

Something is definitely interfering with your SSL/TLS connectivity there... Do you happen to have Avast installed?

I dont have avast, I use Avira but earlier on I disabled it entirely to see if ti was an issue and it had no effect. Ill do some googling to see if i can find any related info tho

I ran into one discussion where deleting the Hosts file (\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\) and then restarting the computer solved someone's issue, they did not explain why that solved it but several people in the comments  reported it worked for them too

(I hate deleting files in case I want to undo something, so I usually just rename it to something like HOSTSxxxxxx  instead)

* edit, when i google delete hosts to solve protocol error  it pops up on quite a few HOW TO SOLVE lists so apparently this is a common fix, though I don't see it on the previous links

• Like 1

no luck unfortunatly, tho this is rapidly taking over the thread and there are ways around it so ill just leave it here i think :P thanks for the help

should still work, well the version i posted anyway.

Edited by Cuddles

Hey @Cuddles

How do your difficulty settings compare to Talor's? His were 1, 0, -1, whereas yours are float values (which I like; I was hoping for greater configurability) but I'm not sure where the guidelines would be. The file I downloaded had -10.0f as the default, and mentioned -5.0f for serious snow storms, so it feels like your initial settings were trying to recreate that "Beyond the Wall" experience.

Similarly, if you can give any sort of scale to combattemperature or tempsourcefactor, that'd also be super useful.

I made it so you can reload the settings while server is active so you can find that sweet spot that you like.

change the properties file, hit save of course.

With a GM in game have an item active and right click an item and click  'Reload survival properties'

As for specifics I honestly don't recall, been quite a while since i fixed this mod up.

I probably had -10 while testing something and just forgot to put it back to 1.0

Thanks, Cuddles. I'll give it a look when I'm messing with it next. Can I safely assume that 1.0 or 0.0 are about "normal" settings? I used to play on a server that had this mod, but I don't know where their settings were to even use as a baseline.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:16 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

I ran into one discussion where deleting the Hosts file (\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\) and then restarting the computer solved someone's issue, they did not explain why that solved it but several people in the comments  reported it worked for them too

(I hate deleting files in case I want to undo something, so I usually just rename it to something like HOSTSxxxxxx  instead)

* edit, when i google delete hosts to solve protocol error  it pops up on quite a few HOW TO SOLVE lists so apparently this is a common fix, though I don't see it on the previous links

Really late reply(was looking at the mod when i saw this)

The host file is generally used for mapping of ip addresses to host names(similar to a dns service) and is often used by people or programs ot map specific addresses to a specific ip for security(eg spybot does this to prevent malware from being accessible)
An example would be "127.0.0.1    www.007guard.com" This causes the 007gaurd domain to instead go to your local machine and thus you can not access that website at all nor any program that tries to use the name of that site(they still can via the ip though)

Its a great way to prevent simple spyware and malware from being able to do things or ads from being able to send off data to said domains or even more normal things like below
This can also be used if you have a game that does random pc spec gathering and sends it off to a random server that isnt related to its online content(Some ubisoft games do this) so blocking those domains will not interfere with online play where as blocking the game on your firewall would

As for his issue if it was host file related there would have been a line in it that said something like 127.0.0.1   1drv.ms or 0.0.0.0  1drv.ms or something along those lines which could happen considering there are a few security programs out there that block telemetry servers from microsoft among other servers from ms (if you run windows 10 o&o shutup10 is 1 of many of its kind that does this as ms loves its data about us ;) )

What would make one get cold outside during the day in summer when it's not raining? I'm currently in the south of my map

altitude would affect that, even in summer at like 2000 height would be cold.

But the settings can make even summer feel cold, just depends on how the server is set up.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I'm most grateful for your help and for this wonderful mod:)

v 3.3 a little update, if there is a floor above ground where you are standing it is counted as shelter, same as a roof.

• Like 1

does anyone know whether the mod considers an open air wood archway (20 planks like a wall) to be just like a wall, as far as retaining heat?  I know for a bed it is considered as good as a wall, just not sure if it acts like a wall for cold air issues.....    

Also does water on the floor of a mine, affect temp if it is only like 2-3 deep? It counts as a "water tile" for some things (can't plant a lamp or make a campfire) but the mod doesn't mention "shallow water" or "standing on water"  only mentions getting cold while "standing on snow" or "swimming" which is somewhat deeper ...

anyone else getting cold wounds from being too hot? 

difficultySetting=-2.0f

[00:33:24] You are boiling hot! Cool down quickly!

[00:33:30] Avg temp:200 You are very warm, and this is unlikely to change.