Sign in to follow this  
Talor

[released] Survival Mod : Temperature, crop seasons & drinking water

We have this mod running on Mystic highlands right now, seems to be going smooth as ice :)

One question for you Talor, is there a cap on how hot you can get ? Dont want people to stand afk at a fire for 2 hours so that their "hot number" is so high it would take ages and ages for them to get cold and feel effects.

Thanks again for this superb mod !

Valiance and Kaylie.

3 hours ago, Jukken said:

Yes, but there should be some way to counteract this. On the sea, you can't make a campfire.

On a big map, sailing to a border takes much longer than one would think. Atleast 30 min.

True, but this is where a bit of planning can make a difference.  Leave early on a sunny wintery day, instead of a rainy one.

3 hours ago, Wulfrock said:

We have this mod running on Mystic highlands right now, seems to be going smooth as ice :)

One question for you Talor, is there a cap on how hot you can get ? Dont want people to stand afk at a fire for 2 hours so that their "hot number" is so high it would take ages and ages for them to get cold and feel effects.

Thanks again for this superb mod !

Valiance and Kaylie.

In my (limited) testing there does seem to be a cap.  Warmth seems to work as a kind of saturation.  Full is full, it slowly goes down once the requirements for it are met.

We did some further testing, seems Autumn is far to harsh, 8 minutes working outside and a player died to cold. Maybe just set this to a winter time mod ?

Valiance and Kaylie.

12 hours ago, Katorone said:

@Talorcan you think of a reason why campfires in a cave don't always work?

Campfires were bugged. This will be fixed in the next version.

8 hours ago, Wulfrock said:

There is a soft cap and a hard cap. If /mytemp says you are very warm, you are near the soft cap. I've never seen anyone get even close to the hard cap.

4 hours ago, Wulfrock said:

We did some further testing, seems Autumn is far to harsh, 8 minutes working outside and a player died to cold. Maybe just set this to a winter time mod ?

The next version should make Autumn less harsh.

• Like 2

I just released a new version with these changes:

• Fix for fires in caves
  • All seasons are now slightly warmer
  • The effect of day/night is slightly reduced
  • Like 2

The mod is just getting better with every update !

Top job Talor, thanks so much !

Valiance and Kaylie.

I just released an update with this change:

• Damage from freezing changed from every 15 seconds to every 30 seconds so that actions are less likely to be interrupted
  • Wound size from freezing doubled to balance the lower frequency
  • Like 1

I went to the server and had a quick swim. Immediately started to take damage. Made kindling, started a fire, but died right there. Respawned and this time I went outside until 5% damage or so. Immediately went inside, lit the oven, but cold damage just keeps accumulating. I'll be dead again in minutes at this rate. I stood right in the campfire, and now right on the same tile as the oven.

Not sure how a newbie is meant to warm back up?  After respawning, I was outside a very short time and didn't get wet. Wearing the leather armour I spawned with, as it's all I have as a newb.  Health is now down to 36%, and I can't figure out how to prevent dying again from cold.

----------

Update: dead again, inside, beside a hot oven.

Edited by Batta
update

29 minutes ago, Batta said:

I went to the server and had a quick swim. Immediately started to take damage. Made kindling, started a fire, but died right there. Respawned and this time I went outside until 5% damage or so. Immediately went inside, lit the oven, but cold damage just keeps accumulating. I'll be dead again in minutes at this rate. I stood right in the campfire, and now right on the same tile as the oven.

Not sure how a newbie is meant to warm back up?  After respawning, I was outside a very short time and didn't get wet. Wearing the leather armour I spawned with, as it's all I have as a newb.  Health is now down to 36%, and I can't figure out how to prevent dying again from cold.

----------

Update: dead again, inside, beside a hot oven.

The test server is currently at the absolute height of winter, so you'd need to stay fairly close to a fire and make sure it is well-fuelled with logs. You can type /mytemp to find out if you are getting warmer - if not, then add more logs to the fire.

The idea is that winter should be prepared for by gathering logs, building fireplaces, etc.. I know this isn't really possible on the test server, but it is just there so people can test out the mechanics.

• Like 1

We have been running it live now on Mystic Highlands server with 20+ people for the past 24 hours, couple of people have died, but people have the hang of it now :)

Great mod ! Much love to you Talor :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

I just released an update with this change:

• Freezing & very cold messages are now the kind that pop up on the screen
  • Like 3

Is there a way to adjust how fast you get cold. We have noticed that we are going from "Very warm" to "Cold" just walking 20 tiles in daytime non winter with no rain etc. Seems pretty nuts to have to build a camp fire every 20 tiles and wait to warm up. I really like the mod but the world is going to depop of trees awfully fast this way...

We also have noticed that we can have 4 people standing on same tile next to same heat source and not all of them will get warm. There seems to be some kind of issue with it not always finding the heat source correctly.

Hello Katia.

We had 30+ people on Mystic Highlands last night and no one reported an issue of going from Very Warm to Cold at all.

As for the fire, add more fuel to the fire, every time someone said on our server the fire was not warming them, they add a bit more fuel and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Valiance and Kaylie.

Very cool, tried it out on survival.

However, it's ambiguous for me. I get messages saying im cold, and that I need to find warmth, but no indicators or meters.

Some kind of indication somewhere would make this A+

Hello Wulfrock....all our chars are on Mystic Highlands...LOTS of people are talking about this issue however your mods keep telling them that if they don't like it to move to another server. Our group happens to like the mod we would just like it to work in a way that is not game breaking like it is now. You simple can not do anything outside such as hunt, build roads etc. If you pay attention you will notice that the road building projects have stopped and population average has halved.

We dont want the mod to go away, we would just like it adjusted so that it doesn't stop all activity without having a camp fire every 2 squares and whole forests removed.

Oh and the adding wood thing does NOT always fix it. We have done the testing on this. I fully fueled fire or forge has the same problem. We also noticed that while a charcoal pile give heat at first that benifit goes away and does not return (not that you can refuel one of those lol)

Hi Marlon, you can use /mytemp to see how cold you are :)

Hello Katia, I am sorry you feel that way, but yes adding wood does always fix the it, or adding peat, I have been online with others today for 10 hours, terraforming, digging, travelling, no problems.

We understand not everyone will like the mod, which is a shame, cause its a great mod. We do not expect people to be making roads and hunting in the cold times. Unless they take materials to build campfires now and then, as for game breaking, no

its not, that is an over exagerating, we have still had 15+ people playing on here all day today.

All the best.

Valiance and Kaylie.

Oops forgot one more thing. The timer for the mod is too short as it interupts the action timer a wounded low skill persons action timer can exceed 30 seconds so that they can never finish making a kindling or starting a fire. The timer needs to be set so that they have a chance to live ;)

Well, first of all, new players are protected for their first 24 hours in game. same as newbie buffs, the temp mod does not effect them.

Originally the timer was 15 seconds, now its 30, more than enough time to make a fire. 

As I said, I am sorry you are having a hard time adjusting to the mod, but "most" people are getting used to it, so it will be staying.

All the best.

Hi Wulfrock...I'm not trying to be a pain here and DON'T want the mod removed. My group is 6 of your players and we are all in agreement.

The newbie safety does work...never said it didn't and never mentioned it all in fact.

We have all been testing this and we are positive of the results. Adding fuel to the fire does not fix the problem unless your are the person fueling the fire...so anyone else who was cold still is....no heat gain. We have tried this standing on the tile with the fire/forge or standing next to it with all testers on the same tile at the same time.

It's seems like it isn't always checking for a heat source or just not recognizing it.

Also just for realism sake..the fire should be putting out plenty of heat until the last stages when the description of the fire/forge actually changes when you examine it.

Edited by Katia
missed a word

Hi Katia, we should not hijack this thread so this is the last thing I will say about it.

We are currently right now, 4 of us digging peat ready for winter, all around 1 campfire fueled by only one person, no problems at all, we are all getting warm etc.

So as a final thing to say, there are now 20 people on the server, still no one complaining about the mod.

The mod will be staying, in its current form. We hope you will still stay and play on the server as it is and learn to adjust to it properly. But if not, then we wish you all the best in any other server you play on.

Valiance and Kaylie.

So it's not winter...so not cold...and still need a fire just to dig? Shouldn't you be hot just from digging? Ever noticed when your shoveling snow in the winter that you get freaking hot...with NO fire...just a thought there. Kinda logical to think that maybe..just maybe the settings are a little borked huh. I'm looking around the neighborhood here with everyone doing every day things...and no campfires...and its winter here....hmm. So if your looking for realism from the mod (maybe your not) then you shouldn't even need a campfire unless its actually winter or perhaps early spring/fall at night.

Anyway all that's all beside the point. We are just saying that in our tests we have found some problems that we would like checked out by the creator of the mod. Maybe its not the mod at all, perhaps its some weird WURM glitch...cause that never happens ;)