Sign in to follow this  
Talor

[released] Survival Mod : Temperature, crop seasons & drinking water

Have you ever wanted to freeze to death, or contract waterborne diseases? Now you can!

Things that keep you warm: Summer, daytime, fires (fireplace/campfire/forge/etc.), being indoors, wearing warm clothing, eating hot food and drinking tea
Things that make you cold: Winter, night, strong winds, rain, swimming, high altitudes and standing on snow tiles

Drinking sea water or lake water may give you disease status. This can be avoided by boiling the  water. Water from wells and fountains is safe and does not require boiling. Other safe options are wine, milk, fruit juices, etc.

Each crop has a growing season. These seasons are longer closer to sea level, and if you have north/south mode enabled, then growing seasons are much longer in the south.

There are several configurable options, including being able to enable/disable the temperature, drinking water & crop growth features independently.

Latest release (download survival.zip): https://github.com/modsandstuff/survival/releases/latest

(Requires Ago's server mod loader)

Edited by Talor
  • Like 26

Wow this sounds astounding !

Can you elaborate a little more on what happens as you get cold ? How often does it check, what health does it take from you etc etc ?

Thanks a bunch :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

Edited by Wulfrock

22 minutes ago, Wulfrock said:

Can you elaborate a little more on what happens as you get cold ? How often does it check, what health does it take from you etc etc ?

It checks your temperature every 15 seconds. Each body part (e.g. right foot) has its own temperature which ticks down if you are in cold conditions. Once that temperature reaches zero, that's when you start taking damage. The wounds are light/very light coldburn wounds with some random variation.

• Like 5

Talor do you have a server up and running that we could come see what it is like by any chance ?

We have quite a lot of players on our server, so dont want to just implement it without testing it out.

Thanks.

Valiance and Kaylie.

This mod sounds good but a little question... will new players be save?

i dont know how to tell in english

Eject

add: where can you see your actual temperatur or will you get warnings?

Edited by Eject

Great idea!  Will be loading this on my server ASAP.

Is clothing being taken into account?  Leather protecting against wind, wool against general coldness?  While leather would insulate you a bit more when swimming, drenched wool would actually increase coldness.

I'll make sure to give some feedback after playing around with it for a bit. :-)

i had a mod like this for skyrim

and my suggestion would be to make cloth clothing help with temperature management 

otherwise being outside at night means, making  a lot of campfire to counteract the effects

its fun for a bit but then its just another thing you need to maintain

and turn it of while still in the newbie 24 h fase

also you might want to consider to make its toggle able to turn off with like a 24h timer.

I installed it on a test-server.

Took a character for a long swim...nothing happens. Been swimming for quite some time.

1 hour ago, Wulfrock said:

Talor do you have a server up and running that we could come see what it is like by any chance ?

I just put up a server set to the start of winter so you can try it out. You should see it listed as 'Survival'.

1 hour ago, Eject said:

This mod sounds good but a little question... will new players be save?

add: where can you see your actual temperatur or will you get warnings?

As new players start with a steel & flint, hatchet, etc. they should be able to make a campfire to keep warm in the beginning. Unless it is really cold conditions, such as a stormy winter night, in which case they would need to seek shelter in an established player's house.

You can't see your temperature. You will get warnings when your temperature is dangerously low.

54 minutes ago, Katorone said:

Is clothing being taken into account?  Leather protecting against wind, wool against general coldness?  While leather would insulate you a bit more when swimming, drenched wool would actually increase coldness.

I could put clothing modifiers into a future version if that's wanted? I considered it, but thought the only players without clothing would be those who just died - so it would be a bit punishing to give them a further disadvantage.

48 minutes ago, elroth said:

and turn it of while still in the newbie 24 h fase

also you might want to consider to make its toggle able to turn off with like a 24h timer.

I could put new player protection in for the next version. Perhaps as an option in the .properties file.

39 minutes ago, Jukken said:

I installed it on a test-server.

Took a character for a long swim...nothing happens. Been swimming for quite some time.

Swimming by itself probably won't kill you. If you go for a swim in summer, during the daytime, you should be fine. If you do the same when it is winter/night/raining/etc. it is much more dangerous.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Talor said:

I could put clothing modifiers into a future version if that's wanted? I considered it, but thought the only players without clothing would be those who just died - so it would be a bit punishing to give them a further disadvantage.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered this.  On the other hand, it encourages players to build a safe respawn location before taking risks.  Newbies respawn with their basic inventory intact as well (depending on server settings, I'm guessing?)

My main motivation for asking for clothing modifiers is because it would add an extra layer of tactics to the game.  Hunting a dragon in full plate armour on a cold and rainy winter night might not be the best choice.  It would also give more uses to many of the skills already in the game.  Maybe QL can be linked in some balanced way?  A well made leather jacket is very resistant to wind, thus more insulating against that effect.  I think any mod or enhancement that lets players get more mileage out of skills is good to have.

Thanks a lot for letting us test the mod out on your server Talor :)

Works very well, look forward to the updated version !

Valiance and Kaylie.

Changed to winter, now the character is taking damage.

However, being inside a house - still taking damage.

Standing right next to an open fireplace - still taking damage

Standing right next to a campfire - still taking damage.

Hmm, should I be doing something with the fire to make it warm me up?

I just released an update to the mod with these changes:

• Added a /mytemperature command to check your temperature (/mytemp also works)
  • Increased the penalty for swimming
  • Added an option for new player protection
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jukken said:

Changed to winter, now the character is taking damage.

However, being inside a house - still taking damage.

Standing right next to an open fireplace - still taking damage

Standing right next to a campfire - still taking damage.

Hmm, should I be doing something with the fire to make it warm me up?

If you are inside and close to the fireplace, you should be warming up, even if it is windy and raining. Try fuelling the fireplace with a couple more logs, or standing closer to the fire.

The new version has a /mytemp command to check your temperature and whether you are getting warmer or colder. It should be easier to experiment and find out what works now.

• Like 1

Seems the open fireplace does not work.

Made an oven, that one workes.

Really like this mod. Great idea.

Now all I need is a mod to make it permanently winter :)

One question though, how about ships? Will you freeze to death if traveling on a ship or are they considered warm?

Edited by Jukken

Talor you are our hero ! :)

Great question about the boats Jukken !

Hmm hopefully Fireplaces work :( We use a lot of Fireplaces in our starter deed.

We will wait to hear confirmation from Talor about Fireplaces and Ships before we put this mod on Mystic Highlands. Dont want people out in boats catching their death, and Mystic Highlands is a Roleplay Server, so

Fireplaces would be a must lol.

Valiance and Kaylie.

Edited by Wulfrock

1 hour ago, Jukken said:

Seems the open fireplace does not work.

Made an oven, that one workes.

Really like this mod. Great idea.

Now all I need is a mod to make it permanently winter :)

One question though, how about ships? Will you freeze to death if traveling on a ship or are they considered warm?

I tested fireplaces out with the latest version and they work. I made some changes between versions, so this might have been bugged before.

I hadn't thought about boats. They did count the same as swimming, but I just fixed this with another release. They'll now count the same as being outdoors normally.

• Like 2

Might be interesting to add the same kind of functionality around over heating. Too much time in front of a hot forge while stuck in a cave.....

Perhaps an advantage for wearing cloth instead of steel plate on a hot day....

Talor you rock mate :)

Downloading it now, will implement it on Mystic Highlands in the morning.

Thankyou so much, hit me up on the server at some point.

Ingame name is Valiance.

All the best !

22 minutes ago, Talor said:

I hadn't thought about boats. They did count the same as swimming, but I just fixed this with another release. They'll now count the same as being outdoors normally.

Only problem I see is if you travel say towards a server border, on a big map that will take some time. You can't make a campfire out on the ocean. So if it's winter - maybe it will take too much time to travel and you freeze to death?

• Like 1

Jukken,

A few of us did some testing and it does not happen that fast, will have plenty of time to sail :) Unless you stop and go afk !

Valiance and Kaylie.

@Talorcan you think of a reason why campfires in a cave don't always work?

My previous campfire (on another tile) warmed me as expected. The /mytemp command comfirmed this.

I made a new campfire (about 15 minutes before getting alerted of being too cold), which doesn't seem to be detected.  /mytemp states I'm getting colder, even when the campfire is well fueled.  I waited more than 15 seconds next to it.

The biggest difference I notice myself is that this campfire is hardly visible because of clipping with the floor.  If heat is calculated by the actual light level, I guess that could explain it?

I went back into the cave just now and waited a while next to the campfire.  It seems it did get detected, /mytemp states I'm warm and this is unlikely to change.

7 hours ago, Katorone said:

The whole point of this mod is that you might freeze to death. :-D

Yes, but there should be some way to counteract this. On the sea, you can't make a campfire.

7 hours ago, Wulfrock said:

Jukken,

A few of us did some testing and it does not happen that fast, will have plenty of time to sail :) Unless you stop and go afk !

On a big map, sailing to a border takes much longer than one would think. Atleast 30 min.