Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Less randomness where it's unnecessary

I suggest to improve our gameplay with removing or decreasing random factor in certain game aspects, such as:

• crops growth - a big (enough to see the patterns) field on small servers takes a little short of 6 days to ripen, on bigger servers the time increases, because (as i see it) all the tiles need to be checked in order; of course, i am most concerned about Xanadu, where it used to be almost exactly 7 days, now it's... bad; You could make growth progress every 24h (and 48 or 72 for rotting), without any inconsistency, any complex checks. That's pretty much how it happens in real world. (Potential problem is a lagspike every 24h however).

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/147558-farming-on-xanadu-is-broken/

• mining forward - with every tile mined forward one corner  can go up or down, which leads to either using concrete or mining up and levelling the floor; So our characters use pickaxes to manually mine out 64 m3 of rock, they can tell a perfectly flat cave floor from non-flat and yet they make mistakes when mining it. Why?

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/148575-remove-the-randomness-with-mine-forward/

• snowball quality - while the answer to "what exactly is a low and a high quality snow when you gather them meters away and how could their quality ever affect the melting speed?" could be wogic, in this case random ql serves no purpose. No skill is involved, no profit can be made, 99ql snowballs are rather easy to find, albeit more time-consuming. Do we really need this or you could just let everybody get 99ql snowballs to quickly fill the icebox and be done with it until the next winter?

• decay rates - those "missed ticks" that aggregate and unleash all their power on poor low-ql items when you least expect it; also, snowballs! I mean... it's just snow.

All of these measures could also decrease the number of calculations on server-side. Or could not, depending on how it's made here :)

Add your ideas!

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 2

Personally I'd throw the randomness of meditation skill gain into the list. I'd rather have guaranteed and reduced skill gain per action than the current randomness, so you're guaranteed a bit of progress every day. In essence make it like praying.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 4

randomness of casts

I understand having truly random casts at low chanelling skill, but high channeling skill should not only increase the average power but should also reduce the randomness of the casts. Honestly it sucks when due to a streak of good luck a priest with 30 some channeling that only did light tokens can beat in a series of 50 consecutive cast a 85+ chanelling priest doing the same series of 50-some casts...

and to think that channeling is amongst the most expensive skills in this game to skill...

sometimes I wonder why did I even spend all that time and $$ to skill that...

frustrating, really frustrating...

5 hours ago, Ecrir said:

Personally I'd throw the randomness of meditation skill gain into the list. I'd rather have guaranteed and reduced skill gain per action than the current randomness, so you're guaranteed a bit of progress every day. In essence make it like praying.

this please! now please! go on do it now, PLEASE!

P L E A S E!!!!

4 hours ago, Thorakkanath said:

randomness of casts

I understand having truly random casts at low chanelling skill, but high channeling skill should not only increase the average power but should also reduce the randomness of the casts. Honestly it sucks when due to a streak of good luck a priest with 30 some channeling that only did light tokens can beat in a series of 50 consecutive cast a 85+ chanelling priest doing the same series of 50-some casts...

and to think that channeling is amongst the most expensive skills in this game to skill...

sometimes I wonder why did I even spend all that time and $$ to skill that...

frustrating, really frustrating...

i dont think a newer priest needs more bad casts, but the chance to get the good ones needs to be increased quicker and needs to be way less random and high end channeling skill

kinda like metallurgy.

+1 to the OP, not the channel one. Meditation could be done much better, but since most wurm players don't like moving around, its best the random tick was removed

• Like 1

+1 to the op

+1 to the channeling too really.  I still land 13 casts at 67 channeling, thats just wrong.

Low casts provide higher bonus and thus higher possibility to land a 100+ on the next try, right?

1 minute ago, zigozag said:

Low casts provide higher bonus and thus higher possibility to land a 100+ on the next try, right?

That's what we've been told. But, trying to improve a 60ish power cast with 92 channeling can be an outright nightmare, which seems totally counter any other skill that involves improving anything. With 92 blacksmithing you wouldn't fail 30 times to improve a 65 ql anvil.

• Like 1

However improving a low power is the only way to get a 100+, which we all love so much. I am all for raising lower cap with skill, if this becomes accessible somehow else.

Bit torn on crop growth and mining.

On one hand, regularized crop growth would make planning so much easier.  Pretty nice for people with busy schedules, very nice actually.  On the other hand, I was thinking it might be interesting to link growth rate with QL of soil and seed some day.  If it becomes too regular, might begin to feel like auto-pilot... "time to make the donuts" kind of deal if anyone remembers that commercial.

Mining... Used to be we didn't have concrete to level things out.  Was a nice addition, even if a painful one.  Personally, I like that it's a bit more challenge to reach my goals in a mine.  I don't want to say more work, because it's a game.  It should be fun.  Just that for me, having a bit more to things keeps me interested and tuned in when I play.  Otherwise, my mind is free to wander to all the things I play the game to get away from, and it makes the game less worthwhile in the long run.