Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Woad Planters

3 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

dont forget that even if you have planters or skill botanizing there are times when you actually want low ql woad.  Personally i think that the cap to skill has broken blue and black (or grey) dyes as the range of those colors/shades are further out of reach than they have ever been

You make a fair point but there are ways (decay, mend and sunder for example) to get lower QL out of your dyes if you want that. Unless a change like this is put in it's effectively impossible atm to get high QL blue dye though. Does anyone have 90 botanising in the whole game? I know 3 people with 90 gardening.

Edited by Nadroj
Woops forgot to quote
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

You make a fair point but there are ways (decay, mend and sunder for example) to get lower QL out of your dyes if you want that. Unless a change like this is put in it's effectively impossible atm to get high QL blue dye though. Does anyone have 90 botanising in the whole game? I know 3 people with 90 gardening.

Your point about the high ql is the biggest and most obvious issue, i was simply adding that the whole process is now more complicated than it really needs to be even if you had 90 bot

• Like 1

As long as people agree the system is derpy as is. I swear at some point white and black dyes got changed to look rubbish, i have a black painted sailboat that used to look awesome and now its cruddy for....some reason. Lets not have blue become crappy too! :(

+1 obviously I have 80 botany for reference.

Would like them to add a red flower and a green flower for planters also, might as well.

Letting woad be planted would not unbalance the game excessively imho or even ruin any color market persay.

Herb ql from planters still derives from skill and the planter ql.

• Like 1

Tbh i made this thread as a hopeful nice QOL suggestion before knowing that 1.3 capped woad at botanisinng skill. Now i know that it feels more like a necessity.

• Like 1

-1,  high QL blue armor would wildly imbalance PvP because people's graphics cards would overheat .... hmm probably not.

+1 I really can't see a reason not to.  It seems incredibly arbitrary that it can't be planted and harvested and as stated above QL would still depend on a skill just a more useful and entertaining one than botanising. 

29 minutes ago, belthize said:

-1,  high QL blue armor would wildly imbalance PvP because people's graphics cards would overheat .... hmm probably not.

+1 I really can't see a reason not to.  It seems incredibly arbitrary that it can't be planted and harvested and as stated above QL would still depend on a skill just a more useful and entertaining one than botanising. 

You actually triggered me for a moment....i realised it was a joke far later than i should have done.

Woad was farmed in southern Europe like you farm carrots and barley. Making it plantable would make it at least more realistic and correct.

Realistic, correct AND a QoL change for players? Say it ain't so!

Please do make change for bettterment Wurm people.

• Like 2

On 14/01/2017 at 8:27 AM, Nadroj said:

Realistic, correct AND a QoL change for players? Say it ain't so!

Please do make change for bettterment Wurm people.

Still want this to happen, even if I have a Botanising affinity on my Priest... 

Spent hours wandering the lands, botanising every tile... I just wanna grow it, or get those nifty gloves someone suggested...

• Like 2

On 1/9/2017 at 6:01 AM, Steveleeb said:

+1

I'll see your bold, and raise you italic

+1

• Like 2

+1 i think that some people with high gardening will get good woad from it.others with botanizing will get from botanizing.so it makes it easier to get.thus reducing my high price for 90ql blu we :P

+1 Because on Affliction in the Land of "Libila the Forsaken" you can't botanize mycellium in any event.  Although I do manage to keep maybe a 1000 tiles botanizable (probably not a real word)  by spending time everyday running through thorn bushes and absorbing the mycellium as it creeps in from the edges.  So using planters is really the only way to have some kind of supply.  Oh and I've given up on Bees ever appearing.

+1 to this. I'd love to be able to grow this for dyes. Would also love to see something like Madder introduced for growing for red dyes.

• Like 1

Is it just me or does Nadroj routinely make super awesome suggestions that never get implemented?

+1 #SavetheBlue

I like that some things can only be obtained by foraging/botanizing, and some can be grown by gardening, and some can be grown by farming. I don't think it's wrong that some are only obtainable with a skill, and not with a choice of skills.

No one would ask that dye require only mats from mining, so why wouldn't it require mats from mining, gardening or botanizing?

- 0 (neutral)

1 hour ago, Anarres said:

I like that some things can only be obtained by foraging/botanizing, and some can be grown by gardening, and some can be grown by farming. I don't think it's wrong that some are only obtainable with a skill, and not with a choice of skills.

No one would ask that dye require only mats from mining, so why wouldn't it require mats from mining, gardening or botanizing?

- 0 (neutral)

My issue is with the vast difference in difficulty. Having woad capped at botanising skill is a LOT of work to skill up and get 90QL woad. Leagues more work than skilling mining, butchering or gardening which are all skills that are useful for a vast number of additional reasons.

Edited by Nadroj

Mining is awesome... well okay the concept of mining is fun. Tunneling around, creating caverns, ship grottos, etc.

In practice watching the timer till next mine, sucks.

+1 to allowing Woad to be planted in Planters in addition to it being available as a Botanized herb. Some Player's deeds are no where near areas with Steppe and time is even more a precious commodity in Wurm than it was before with all the new content/features added recently. Why not allow both botanizing and gardening for Woad?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Woad is probably the rarest resource in Wurm with the recent changes.

Reasons :

1) Mining (as a comparison) is something that basically any settlement must do in order to function. It is one of the three basic resource gathering skills and if you do happen to have an account that doesn't mine, you either know someone that does or have an alternate account. Therefore, through trade, getting access to high quality resources for mine skill based dye components is only a matter of networking.

2) Farming is also something that basically any settlement must do in order to function. Beyond Farming there is also Forestry, or the transplanting and maintenance of tree stocks in order to get access to wood/fruit/harvestable resources on a wurm-annual basis. You can also plant as many, or as few, of these resources as you desire and with general maintenance receive a crop of any size you desire (in general).

3) Tile specific resources like Clay, Tar, or even Moss are easy to locate because of there visibility on the map and now the ability to create those tiles using special potions. Even if you do have to travel to these locations to secure these resources, you then are allowed to dig as much of the resource as you desire with a near infinity availability to resupply or harvest (in general).

4) Although Steppe is also a tile type that you can either transplant or travel to it would still require either of those actions... and then you have to use a skill which is not terribly easy to level up because of inconsistent availability of botanize options (ie "this area is picked clean"). If the tile has an available botanize action then you still have to deal with the random table of options available under this action which has been vastly expanded with the new update. Even when using more specific botanize options.

5) As a comparison, the new cooking update gave a vastly more significant role to Salt. And it was obvious from the way the old system functioned that new system of generating the Salt resource was needed. It was (I assume) for this reason that the Rock Salt resource was added to the mile layer. So Salt is more widely available and in greater quantities. Woad on the other hand has become drastically more difficult to find under this new system because it requires so many different things to locate. And then even when you do locate it, the quality (which previously had a wide randomized component) is entirely dependent on your skill.

The significance of Woad in the Wurm world should not be downplayed here. Every dye in the Wurm world has a Blue component to its nature. There is a literally one third of the color spectrum which requires blue as a component in order to make. And because of the extreme measures now required for it, high quality woad is basically impossible to get in large quantities for these dyes. If you had the Steppe tiles available, and if you had a high botanize skill, and if those tiles had available botanize actions you would still have to deal with the random nature of the loot tree. As a result it can take a full day (6-10 hours) to acquire enough woad to fill one small barrel with high quality blue dye.

By comparison it would take maybe 10-30 minutes to acquire the exact same amount of components for either red/green dye (assuming either bugs or copper are available).

That is insane.

(In My Humble Opinion)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It's much easier than mining, mining sucks!

Sure, mining is twice as difficult as botanizing but at least I can just sit in front of a vein an not have to worry about moving to another tile every action and the possibility of no action because the tile is picked clean.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2016 at 6:11 PM, Retrograde said:

If you botanise steppe for woad, it has an increased chance there

also, with the 1.3 update botanizing now works similar to farming, forestry and foraging. The resulting ql of the items will be closely bound to your skill, meaning high quality woad is incredibly easy to find with high botanising skill.

The issue is someone with low botanizing can now never get high ql woad or acorns, and they are still very valuable and people need heaps of them and use them so you will never get say a thousand high ql woad for sale.   This is as opposed to cochineal where you have a chance of getting high ql any time, and with cave bugs can get up to 9 per bug.  With regards to copper, zinc and iron, you can ask a miner friend to mine you a thousand and sort them from 70, 80, 90 etc. and have a lot to use.  With woad or acorns, you get your skill level, a few at a time, and that is it.  I would support planting woad so we can get more of them more often. 

(...and I know for a fact someone wanted high ql yellow made to paint a knarr, before these changes, and the painter gave up on making the dye due to the mats being so difficult to obtain.  It is not easy to get the mats, and now, even harder.)

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2