Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Woad Planters

Always found it odd that blue dye is so insane to get made.

red - cochinaels are easy to come by and everyone skills butchering

green - just mine it, easy

white - just mine it, easy

black - we can harvest acorns now

but....blue - You have to scramble around botanising for ages, rarely getting woad, getting lots of random other junk and the chance its good QL is reaallllly slim.

Couldn't we allow Woad to be put in planters and use similar code to herbs?

Edit for important information - You can no longer botanise high QL woad without the skill. It is literally capped with your skill since 1.3. If you ever want to be able to make 90QL blue dye you need to find a person with 90+ botanising. Does anyone in the whole game have that!?

Feb 9th Edit - Today the devs decided that Forestry, Milking and Botanising being actually slightly reasonable to grind for the first time in 10 years needed nerfing, so now it's even harder to get woad.

Edited by Nadroj
Additional information
  • Like 22

If you botanise steppe for woad, it has an increased chance there

also, with the 1.3 update botanizing now works similar to farming, forestry and foraging. The resulting ql of the items will be closely bound to your skill, meaning high quality woad is incredibly easy to find with high botanising skill.

• Like 1

With high botanising skill >.<

Even with a difficulty decrease thanks to 1.3 it's still very much unbalanced compared to the extreme ease all the other colours can be made with.

edit ^ I was totally wrong its tonnes harder now.

Edited by Nadroj
I was wrong

31 minutes ago, Chakron said:

Only if I can plant cave bugs.

well you -could- breed them :P

12 hours ago, Nadroj said:

With high botanising skill >.<

Even with a difficulty decrease thanks to 1.3 it's still very much unbalanced compared to the extreme ease all the other colours can be made with.

To be fair, the other colours also require high skill - the exception being cochineal because butchering isn't capped by skill. But you do need high mining (or a really good pickaxe) to mine high ql ores for all the others. Or high bot/forestry for high ql acorns. I'm getting a butt-load of woad botanizing but its all 50 ish ql - which is still better than before the update, - with woad planters you would need to get high gardening instead for it. But Im all for more stuff in planters so +1 regardless

Edited by Alyeska

+1 to woad in planters.

Not seeing any issue it would create, and it would certainly solve one.

Easily implemented given code already exists, to a large extent anyway.

Nice QoL for folks who like to stay close to the stead and tool around.

Edited by Reylaark
*and
  • Like 3

Isn't a perfect solution but it would close the huge effort/difficulty gap that currently exists between getting decent QL woad and the other dye materials.

+1 Not because blue dye is difficult though, just because it makes sense.

I actually find white dye and green dye more difficult, practically impossible. But thats only because I'm a Fo priest atm :). I get my woad easily from steppe tiles and make dye there. Botanize skill usually goes if you use that to grind alchemy/NS skill (Idk of a better way). I would prefer all dyes made from plant-like materials now that you mention it.

It used to be random (you could get 90+QL woad by luck even with like 20 botanising) but a friend claimed to me today that since 1.3 it's capped with your skill. If this is the case then we really definitely need woad to be plantable.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 2

If its capped with skill... then yes, +1 for planting it, because maaan... I don't want to grind Bot skill just so I can get high QL blue dye :(

• Like 1

On 26/12/2016 at 7:11 AM, Retrograde said:

If you botanise steppe for woad, it has an increased chance there

also, with the 1.3 update botanizing now works similar to farming, forestry and foraging. The resulting ql of the items will be closely bound to your skill, meaning high quality woad is incredibly easy to find with high botanising skill.

Realising now i should have read this post better at the time. Have you ever tried ot skill botanising!? This is not something you should be saying to me and telling me "it means its easier" No it now means noone can ever make 90+QL blue dye without skilling that horrendously terrible slow skill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Realising now i should have read this post better at the time. Have you ever tried ot skill botanising!? This is not something you should be saying to me and telling me "it means its easier" No it now means noone can ever make 90+QL blue dye without skilling that horrendously terrible slow skill.

Guess I can just spend days and weeks and months and years on Bot... That sounds fun...just to get high QL blue dye... yeeeepp... I wouldn't mind just having more planters for things, and of course, having them appear different. Then I can use them for decor pieces aswell, gotta get more decor items to prettify the place I'll be mooching at.

Edited by Jotz

If it's plantable, you'd need to have high gardening though. Planted herbs get the ql of your skill. How many people have high gardening vs high botanizing? Dye is kind of a pain all around. 

Just FYI, capping to skill would be the same for gardening from planters, this suggestion just swaps botanizing being the needed skill to gardening.

52 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Just FYI, capping to skill would be the same for gardening from planters, this suggestion just swaps botanizing being the needed skill to gardening.

Gardening is leagues easier to grind and far more reasonable.

I myself grinded to 60 gardening over the last couple weeks with the usual kind of effort expected for most skills, it's something you can choose to focus on with items in front of you.
Botanising isn't just slower it involves wandering around outside and hoping for luck, i gave it a shot trying to grind for a bit and gave up at barely over 20...it's horrible

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

Gardening is leagues easier to grind and far more reasonable.

I myself grinded to 60 gardening over the last couple weeks with the usual kind of effort expected for most skills, it's something you can choose to focus on with items in front of you.
Botanising isn't just slower it involves wandering around outside and hoping for luck, i gave it a shot trying to grind for a bit and gave up at barely over 20...it's horrible

Not to mention gardening is by far more appealing... Gather the lovely flowers! Make some pretty decor... 

Though I guess I am going to have to grind Bot until they implement Woad Planters, they will...right? See how far I can get before needing to face plant the keyboard...

23 minutes ago, Jotz said:

Not to mention gardening is by far more appealing... Gather the lovely flowers! Make some pretty decor... 

Though I guess I am going to have to grind Bot until they implement Woad Planters, they will...right? See how far I can get before needing to face plant the keyboard...

We can dream! However you are braver than I. No way am i ever grinding botanising...i'd rather eat drywall.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

We can dream! However you are braver than I. No way am i ever grinding botanising...i'd rather eat drywall.

Nadroj, my friend, I think you'd still be the one having more fun than I in that scenario...

Edited by Jotz
  • Like 1

+1 one for planting woad. That would just make sense.

or an idiotic idea of making a shaft into the tool for botanizing. so u activate it and use it to move weeds and vegetation out of the way when looking for Bot items. Not to mention that finally u could put coc on that shaft.

Either way it would make that high skill reachable a lot more than how it is now.

Edited by bonefly
could work just as well for Foraging....

dont forget that even if you have planters or skill botanizing there are times when you actually want low ql woad.  Personally i think that the cap to skill has broken blue and black (or grey) dyes as the range of those colors/shades are further out of reach than they have ever been

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ClericGunem said:

dont forget that even if you have planters or skill botanizing there are times when you actually want low ql woad.  Personally i think that the cap to skill has broken blue and black (or grey) dyes as the range of those colors/shades are further out of reach than they have ever been

what are you talking about? you can always "abuse" low skilled no prem alt for your low skill gathering

33 minutes ago, Zakerak said:

what are you talking about? you can always "abuse" low skilled no prem alt for your low skill gathering

ya, and?  Is it really a good thing to spend extra time ruining good woad just the right amount?  

The old way i could spend 2-3 days gathering acorns/woad and sort them in their respect qls, then could mix the qls and bump the hue up/down.  

New way, first skill bot to 90 (haha, not for most people), but lets say i have so now it is matter of 90ql woad and garbage woad (from an alt), which requires 3x times the number of calculations and measurements either calc and mix the woad in bsb (accounting for the ql mixing bonus/penalty in bsbs) and then have high enough skill to get the respective ql dye every time (good luck on large batches) or create a lot of high and garbage dye and spend time mixing until the right color (the measuring jug helps for that luckily) and pour out the leftovers (wasting mats).

Basically before anyone could potentially get enough high ql mats (takes more time than those with skill) to make nearly any color, now...  

I may skill botany one day, but it is way down my list, i mean wandering around and staring at grass tiles for ~250 hours sounds like fun and all, but there are a few things i would rather do

• Like 1