Sign in to follow this  
Alyeska

Harvesting from carts/horseback

Please remove the feature where we can not harvest trees/fields from carts or horses.

With larger production (multiple crops or fruits per tile) using a cart while harvesting has become a necessity.

It seems like an unnecessary challenge that we have to disembark, harvest a few tiles, and then return to the cart, re-embark it, and move it to the next few tiles.

With the new updates to cooking there is much more incentive to going around and looking for different fruits and growing different crops, and in larger amounts.

This would be a great quality of life adjustment.

If I can butcher a cow whilst mounted on a horse, picking a few walnuts off a tree from a cart shouldn't be impossible.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 4

+1 why not! doesnt hurt and it sure helps.

And if that does not sounds real.. well give us the option to lead the horses hitched to the cart(i used to do that as a kid)

Edited by Jonydowy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jonydowy said:

+1 why not! doesnt hurt and it sure helps.

And if that does not sounds real.. well give us the option to lead the horses hitched to the cart(i used to do that as a kid)

If the cart stays close enough to be open while leading, then that works for me too. It'd also be useful in other situation like getting up a steeper slope

I think that one animal hitched to small cart or some new type of cart that you can lead and it  stays open while leading would be both awesome and realistic

you know a precursor to this would be saddlebags to a horse,  Something you could lead?

As for cart harvesting, you might as well ask for this:

We're getting into mission creep, where people want technology to progress beyond simple hand farming.  The thing every person who suggests this seems to be skipping past is:

1. Get off your damn horse.
  2. Harvest your stuff.
  3. Collect it in piles.
  4. Return with a cart and "Take" bound to a key
  5. There is no harvesting problem.

1 hour ago, Tallios said:
  1. Get off your damn horse.
  2. Harvest your stuff.
  3. Collect it in piles.
  4. Return with a cart and "Take" bound to a key
  5. There is no harvesting problem.

Why tho?

Get off your horse

drop a tent

hitch your horse, because saddles shouldn't magically hold your horse in place

Find a tree that is harvestable

hit climb mode, right click the tree and climb

Like, how can we even harvest trees from ground level anyway

run out of stamina, fall out of the tree and take a 25 damage bruise

heal it

try again

get attacked by a squirrel

contract rabies and die

respawn at your tent

find another tree, repeat

Why does it have to be artifically difficult? To drop a pile of tiny olives, in tall grass, in a forest of dense olive trees and then trying to find them all back while on a cart is just annoying. Yes, you can put them in abarrel to make it easier. You could also just let us harvest on cart/horse to make it easier. It isn't challenging, it isn't realistic, it's just annoying. When I'm picking fruit out of a tree irl there's a good chance I can reach it easier from a cart than from the ground anyway.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

Why does it have to be artificially difficult? To drop a pile of tiny olives, in tall grass, in a forest of dense olive trees and then trying to find them all back while on a cart is just annoying. Yes, you can put them in a barrel to make it easier. You could also just let us harvest on cart/horse to make it easier. It isn't challenging, it isn't realistic, it's just annoying. When I'm picking fruit out of a tree irl there's a good chance I can reach it easier from a cart than from the ground anyway.

I understand your perspective.  It's a balance of what level of realism will this game maintain.  At what point do we keep this game from becoming farmville?  Or do we ask that it become farmville?  No matter which answer is selected, no one will be happy.

8 minutes ago, Tallios said:

I understand your perspective.  It's a balance of what level of realism will this game maintain.  At what point do we keep this game from becoming farmville?  Or do we ask that it become farmville?  No matter which answer is selected, no one will be happy.

Farmville is not a first person medieval style MMO, it's not really like you can compare the two.

With that said, the cooking update has encouraged us to become more focused on farming and harvesting trees; before people could be content with just their meat from horses, nothing but corn (and grapes and maples for the hardcore that cared about wine). Now there's a desire for all the different meats, crops (some of which got increased in weight), and more different fruits from trees; many of which means traveling off-deed with a cart; thankfully we do not have to leave our cart for each animal we kill to butcher it.

I love it, but it did make it clear that even with decent body strength slowing down after filling two barrels with lemons gets annoying pretty quickly.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alyeska said:

Farmville is not a first person medieval style MMO. With that said, the cooking update has forced it to become more focused on farming and harvesting trees; before people could be content with just their meat from horses, nothing but corn (and grapes and maples for the hardcore that cared about wine). Now there's a desire for all the different meats, crops (some of which got increased in weight), and more different fruits from trees; many of which means traveling off-deed with a cart; thankfully we do not have to leave our cart for each animal we kill to butcher it. I love it, but it did make it clear that even with decent body strength slowing down after filling two barrels with lemons gets annoying pretty quickly.

I would surmise at this point that the intention was to encourage a market, and trade.  Seeing as it is now significantly harder to "do it all yourself".

if i can perform a sacrificial ritual at a chunk of stone to send something up to god land while riding my horse that's literally on fire

i think harvesting some nuts while embarked is ok

• Like 5

dont forget we can pave while on a cart, now thats some futuristic ###### right there

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, elroth said:

dont forget we can pave while on a cart, now thats some futuristic ###### right there

Especially when we pave the tile underneath our carts! Can you imagine? We somehow have to levitate while paving a 4x4 meter square area with a disproportionate gigantic rectangular square. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xallo said:

Especially when we pave the tile underneath our carts! Can you imagine? We somehow have to levitate while paving a 4x4 meter square area with a disproportionate gigantic rectangular square. :D

surface mining while climbing a 90 + slope being out of stamina without a rope, i would pay to see that in real life.. specially its like on a xanadu sized mountain side. that will be a Darwinistic youtube video.

• Like 1

We can butcher from horseback.  As a result, some areas are completely littered with corpses from people grabbing a bit of butchering skill and not bothering to bury.  QoL for one person on horseback, annoying for lots of other people. 

While I think this suggestion would be convenient, it will largely serve to let a few people completely butcher entire swaths of olive trees, or whatever else they might have been forced to share due to time constraints before.

This will only make it easier for people to lower other people's quality of life.  Unfortunate, but likely.

Edited by Reylaark
nope

Well, if we can make snowballs while driving the cart we ought to at least be able to harvest and take sprouts from trees/bushes.

How bout cutting down trees and chopping up the logs from horseback?

5 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

How bout cutting down trees and chopping up the logs from horseback?

Especially from a wagon, that'd be great. Although I'd be content with the pickup box being larger for felled trees. When you fell a few hundred trees to build palisades, it is very challenging to pick them up from a wagon afterwards because they overlap and make it near impossible to find the end of the stump.

13 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

Especially from a wagon, that'd be great. Although I'd be content with the pickup box being larger for felled trees. When you fell a few hundred trees to build palisades, it is very challenging to pick them up from a wagon afterwards because they overlap and make it near impossible to find the end of the stump.

Okay, and I can see how it might even help with the piles of logs sometimes left all over the place.  I've lost my cart entirely gathering wood out there so I'd sure benefit but here's my concern:

Wouldn't you be at all concerned that cutting down trees from horseback would lead to massive deforestation for the woodcutting xp?  It would be that much more efficient, and that much quicker.

That's the general idea of my worry across the board. Same goes for olives and whatever else.  I'm just worried it's all going to wind up taken by a few, on a large scale, so much quicker.  Seeing as how we can't put the genie back in, it freaks me out.

Maybe I'm just yelling fire in a movie theater, I just honestly think I smell smoke is all.

7 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

Okay, and I can see how it might even help with the piles of logs sometimes left all over the place.  I've lost my cart entirely gathering wood out there so I'd sure benefit but here's my concern:

Wouldn't you be at all concerned that cutting down trees from horseback would lead to massive deforestation for the woodcutting xp?  It would be that much more efficient, and that much quicker.

That's the general idea of my worry across the board. Same goes for olives and whatever else.  I'm just worried it's all going to wind up taken by a few, on a large scale, so much quicker.  Seeing as how we can't put the genie back in, it freaks me out.

Maybe I'm just yelling fire in a movie theater, I just honestly think I smell smoke is all.

No, but maybe that's because I'm playing on Xanadu and there's literally endless and endless forests with nobody anywhere remotely nearby, so it is really of no concern here. The same thing on my deed on Inde. On the smaller servers, I don't know if it would be an issue. But, people who would want to grind woodcutting would do so without worrying about picking up their logs, I believe, so this wouldn't affect it. I understand the concern but maybe there's just smoke, and no fire. I really don't think it would be a problem that people can harvest more efficiently to the point where one would simply run out entirely of trees to harvest, especially now that it's possible to harvest more from a single tree (which is wonderful!)

But keep in the back of your head the suggestion is also for crops, which are usually planted by the person harvesting them, so they're not exactly a public resource that would be depleted. Harvesting wemp or pumpkins is super annoying because of the weight and how quickly you slow down if you get 6 or more per tile.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

+1

if you want the garantee to be the only one that harvest a set of trees, build them on your deed or fence in an area.

saying making it easier is bad because people can then even easier do all the work quicker and therefor others do not get the resource is not a good argument.

a good way to do this is to make deals with your neighbors and fence in the perimeters between your deeds and share the resources.

+1

I can pave and reinforce from the cart/horse, makes perfect since to snatch pinenuts off of tree's as I ride past them!

Who is this anti-butchering guy anyways, I want to drop off random bits in your area.

+1 on this. I love the chabge where we can reinforce from cart and picking fruit is more realistic, in fact you are closer to the top of the tree.