Sign in to follow this  
Alyeska

Harvesting from carts/horseback

18 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Who is this anti-butchering guy anyways, I want to drop off random bits in your area.

That would be griefing, which should not be a result of honest discussion on the forums.

It takes a special kind of person to make such a threat, so let me assure you that in the future, I will refrain from saying anything contrary to your beliefs.

11 hours ago, Alyeska said:

No, but maybe that's because I'm playing on Xanadu and there's literally endless and endless forests with nobody anywhere remotely nearby, so it is really of no concern here. The same thing on my deed on Inde. On the smaller servers, I don't know if it would be an issue. But, people who would want to grind woodcutting would do so without worrying about picking up their logs, I believe, so this wouldn't affect it. I understand the concern but maybe there's just smoke, and no fire. I really don't think it would be a problem that people can harvest more efficiently to the point where one would simply run out entirely of trees to harvest, especially now that it's possible to harvest more from a single tree (which is wonderful!)

But keep in the back of your head the suggestion is also for crops, which are usually planted by the person harvesting them, so they're not exactly a public resource that would be depleted. Harvesting wemp or pumpkins is super annoying because of the weight and how quickly you slow down if you get 6 or more per tile.

Already tossed this a like last night soon after you posted it, but thank you for taking the time.  Good point on harvesting crops, I've seen some truly impressive fields out there over the years, this would help those folks I'm sure.

Though I've been left rather bruised for daring to bring up a concern, and apparently now have people wanting to grief me in game for it :rolleyes:  I appreciate you taking the time to assuage it.  I'm sure this will prove a popular suggestion and wouldn't be surprised to see it implemented.  At least we can be sure it has garnered attention ^_^

I'm sure you don't remember, but I've complimented you on your paints long ago after sailing by one of your deeds.  Hope you know I would have had the same concern, and expressed it with the same vigor, regardless of who made the suggestion.

1 hour ago, elroth said:

+1

if you want the garantee to be the only one that harvest a set of trees, build them on your deed or fence in an area.

saying making it easier is bad because people can then even easier do all the work quicker and therefor others do not get the resource is not a good argument.

a good way to do this is to make deals with your neighbors and fence in the perimeters between your deeds and share the resources.

No idea where you got the notion I was remotely interested in being the only one harvesting anything.  Complete opposite of what I was saying.

I've always adapted to changes made, every time, no exceptions.  Perhaps my lack of complaints over the years is why most of you seem to have never noticed I exist.

The concern I had would have affected not just myself.  If it was just myself, I would not have bothered mentioning it as that would not be important enough to warrant the inevitable target on my back.  If there's a chance that the smoke could turn into a fire that affects a lot of people, though, then it would be really bad of me not to mention it and just watch it burn.

Been mentioned, been addressed.  Feel free to move on.

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

+1

I can pave and reinforce from the cart/horse, makes perfect since to snatch pinenuts off of tree's as I ride past them!

Who is this anti-butchering guy anyways, I want to drop off random bits in your area.

Well I mean if this is the way the argument is going to go, we might as well petition to not allow paving from carts.  Or better yet, ok, you can harvest from carts, but lets get rid of butchering, burying, paving because these things obviously couldn't be done in a cart.

Edited by Tallios

2 hours ago, Tallios said:

Well I mean if this is the way the argument is going to go, we might as well petition to not allow paving from carts.  Or better yet, ok, you can harvest from carts, but lets get rid of butchering, burying, paving because these things obviously couldn't be done in a cart.

no worries man ;)  But thank you nonetheless.

Bothered with a quick report on JakeRivers as I don't really think people should be silenced by others threatening action in-game over something said on forums.  Something not even of a personal nature, mind you, just an opinion the fellow doesn't like.

I don't expect anything to come of that report, but I would hope his behavior is not considered acceptable.  I've had a much higher opinion of those who participate in these forums than to have something like this be deemed acceptable.

• Like 1

Just now, Reylaark said:

no worries man ;)  But thank you nonetheless.

Bothered with a quick report on JakeRivers as I don't really think people should be silenced by others threatening action in-game over something said on forums.  Something not even of a personal nature, mind you, just an opinion the fellow doesn't like.

I don't expect anything to come of that report, but I would hope his behavior is not considered acceptable.  I've had a much higher opinion of those who participate in these forums than to have something like this be deemed acceptable.

There is always the issue of "mission creep" when you start making changes or pushing for new things.  Everyone is always about the next "improvement" but whenever any kind of resistance is put on it for even reasonable reasons.  You get the hatred.

3 minutes ago, Tallios said:

There is always the issue of "mission creep" when you start making changes or pushing for new things.  Everyone is always about the next "improvement" but whenever any kind of resistance is put on it for even reasonable reasons.  You get the hatred.

Yes, and some of that is to be expected.

I hadn't really noticed threats of in-game retribution as we're seeing from @JakeRiversover a civil discussion regarding mechanics.  Maybe the lad takes pride in setting new lows.  Who knows, and ultimately not the most frightening threat I've ever faced.

It would, of course, be a problem if forum moderators or community managers felt this was perfectly acceptable behavior.  I've never thought that to be the case, but then I'm seeing all kinds of odd behavior lately. 

I'll go ahead and suggest you stay a safe distance a while.  I'll likely be radioactive until they find a new target.  ;)

• Like 1

Bump,let try some more!!

I really wish one of thee methods will be added.

Bump and switch of vote to +1.

I was reminded of this thread in a recent convo on one of the Valrei International threads.  I remembered it as including sprouts.

Either way, I've had a chance to think on it further, as well as seeing the effect of this on Wurm Unlimited.

I think my initial concerns were unfounded, so I'd like to change my vote to +1

If by some strange turn of events, we start seeing new players complaining they can't find the fruits they need as a result of everything being denuded, that can be addressed at that point in particular.

Judging by what I've seen on Wurm Unlimited though, the likelihood is low.