Sign in to follow this  
Gaeron

Proper Moats

Its not hard to put a moat around a deed which is what I'm currently doing, placing some bridges for access and its starting to look how I'd like it.

But.

I do have a serious problem in that I cannot think of any way to ensure crocodiles stay in it. They are needed for the ambience which also means no fences otherwise how can I enjoy it when unsuspecting peons fall in?

I'd go with piranha at a pinch if they were in game but sadly they are not.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this artistic dilemma?

• Like 4

i thought rope fences or something made animals not go through them but people still could

it's one of the fences atleast

wiki is clearly saying that the fences that don't stop humans, will not stop animals either :)

Enclosing the surrounding moat with any type of fencing will not prevent the crocs from escaping by climbing up through the bridge ends. To do that you will need to place gates across the bridge ends as well.

=Ayes=

Brackish water filled and polluted by the blasphemous fell byproducts of sorcery and wizardy?

Chain fences or high rope fences I suppose. And be sure to place chain fences either underneath the bridge one edge under the bridge from the start/end, or build a gate as Ayes suggested.

Alternatively you could build a longhouse ring around the moat, and force people to use a bridge onto the second floor of the longhouse. Then make them cross a bridge into your castle/deed, and not have guard fences on the top of the longhouse?

Edited by Xallo

technically, if you build low chain fences at the bottom of the slope, wouldn't you just fall over them, while they contain the crocs at the bottom? need high enough slopes for proper falls instead of sliding down them, though!

The thing about fences is they sort of shout "keep out" and are saying "We are concerned about your safety"

Not the vibe I'd be looking for, I did say this was an artistic endeavour.

On that score, bridges are very nice in a Venice sort of way but I'd give sooooooo much for a working drawbridge.

• Like 2

I am going to necro this, mostly because I only just found it for some reason.

Gates instead of fences would be my approach.  Crocs (and any other non-humanoids) can't pass them, but humanoids could walk through them like they are not there (as long as perms allow).  Have steep slopes and the gates at the bottom, or make sure the slope is at least 2 tiles wide and put them on the slope itself.  A 3 tile steepish slope with a fence on the bottom edge of the top tile would mean sliding down amongst the biteys with a guaranteed slow climb out.

• Like 1

to have a proper castle or fortification, we also need to be able to expand swamps... make swamps great again!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, Rauros said:

to have a proper castle or fortification, we also need to be able to expand swamps... make swamps great again!

Any mention of castle and swamp in the same sentence will make me think of Monty Python.

12 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Any mention of castle and swamp in the same sentence will make me think of Monty Python.

Who you think i am? We don't even have elderberries in this game!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rauros said:

Who you think i am? We don't even have elderberries in this game!

Or hamsters.

• Like 1