Sign in to follow this  
SallyIronside

Clarification on Snowballs

Can we get some clarification on snowballs from the devs possibly?  They seem to be very hard to find right now, granted it is late fall and snow tileset hasn't loaded in yet so that may be why.  But mainly would like to know if snowballs are really supposed to decay so rapidly in a larder?  I have found 11 so far and put them right into the larder.  They had no damage when they were put in.  About an hour later, all but 3 had damage.  The worst two were at 10 and 22 damage.  At this rate snowballs will decay before winter even ends let alone have a prayer in hell to last thru the spring, summer and fall.  My larder is on deed in a building also.  Any feedback is appreciated.

• Like 2

wait, so you just don't go out and use shovel on a white tile to get snowballs? How do you go about finding them?

Just gathered 11 on various grass and tree tiles around my settlement.

Edited by Aeryck

As winter draws closer bee hives go dormant and snow starts being collectable on tiles.

that said, it is not fully winter yet!

Snow will become more abundant over time as winter sets in, and will be much easier to collect.

To collect, just right click a tile and "gather snow"

• Like 2

They might be "easier to collect" once it is winter, but if they do not last any more than a few days as OP reports, and can only be collected during winter (the game's shortest season), it really sounds like they are of extremely limited use.?

I guess we will know in a few days.  Hopefully they are an actually useful item. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyIronside said:

I have found 11 so far and put them right into the larder.  They had no damage when they were put in.  About an hour later, all but 3 had damage.  The worst two were at 10 and 22 damage.  At this rate snowballs will decay before winter even ends let alone have a prayer in hell to last thru the spring, summer and fall.  My larder is on deed in a building also.  Any feedback is appreciated.

it wouldn't surprise me if quality plays a big role in these. A lot of the new content is aimed at high skill/ end game players (imo anyway).

I wonder if you can find snow sooner at higher elevation. I know the client side snow creation stuff in WU has code to take into account elevation.

Two hours later and my snowballs have not decayed any further in the larder.  It may be that they were damaged on collection and I just didn't notice it at first.  Has anyone else experienced this?

They will decay fast in inventory it seems, so do keep that in mind

It took ~8 minutes to get first decay tick on snowballs in my inventory.  97ql took ~1 dam, 20ql took ~2 dam.   The ones i had put in larder about the time of my post still have not taken any damage, including the ones already damaged.

I have 2 larders.  Each has 11 snowballs.  The first has the damaged snowballs from earlier.  The second has newly collected snowballs with no damage.  I will check them in the morning to see what the damage is then.

I was like 30 tiles from larder, on deed, for about 7 minutes, in that time I collected 22 balls and the average decay when I put them in larder was 2,51.

I could see the ticks on the pile in inventory at about every tenth second (spread on the 22 balls).

This is way to extreme.

I'll not pick more snowballs today and hope this get reduced.

Or I will really need that Ice Box I asked for in suggestions, so I can box them as soon as I roll them.

Edited by Cecci

~12h passed. Larder-90ql, snowballs ~85-95ql. No damage. However, inventory ones have 15 damage after like 1 hour of holding them. 

I have just put 2 in my wagon, will see how they decay in there :) 90ql oak wagon, ~75ql snowballs. 

I collected around 60 snowballs in around 5 min, with a low skilled alt. I used the hand activated, and I got snowballs from 60+ to 99 ql. I found them on grass and tree tiles off deed. In about 5 -10 min a few of them got some decay ticks in inventory.

They don't melt in five minutes thou. Trust me I grew up in Lappland.

Five hours have passed and no damage in either larder.  I have no idea how the ones have 10 and 22 damage respectively.  Maybe it was late fall and the snowballs were mostly slush when I collected them? lol

The decay occurs from gathering the snow till they are put in larder.

In few minutes.

I doubt it is intended that we go bin each snowball before we make a new.

40 minutes have passed and snowballs have 0 damage in the wagon, so it seems they only melt while in inventory. We just need to drag small cart and once picked drop them there :) 

My findings are about the same.  Driving around in a large cart and throwing snowballs in backpacks in the cart and no decay at all.  Snowballs collected later in left in inventory already have decay.

I also note that collecting snow from pavement is consistently low ql ~30 (3/5 tiles seem to have snow), from trees is ~70 (3/5), from grass flowers I get them in ~90 (4/5), grass i get ~40 (2/5).  

Cannot gather snow from enchanted grass, dirt, under/over bridge, crops, buildings....anyone disagree

Edited by ClericGunem
Corrections