Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Newspring Bridge

Newspring Bridge  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What type of bridge do you want to Newspring?

• Flat Stone
    • Flat Marble
    • Arched Stone
    • Arched Marble

I've spoken with Shmeric and expressed my interest in helping move this project forward as many of you have shown a great desire to help as well.  He's agreed to that partnership, so here we are!  Shmeric has already laid a chunk of the ground work as far as planning goes and the dropping of many dirts.  I'm going to be surveying the area as well, just to make clear the plans in my mind.  The way I see it we can split this into three teams, so if you're interested in helping please leave a comment and we'll go from there.

The team focal points would be as follows:

1. Dirt placement/allocation:  this is pretty obvious as the team would mostly be comprised of players who don't mind dropping dirt in marked locations for building the dirt spires to connect bridge segments.  This doesn't mean you have to bring a crap ton of dirt to the project, but if you'd like to that is very much appreciated.  We'd also appreciate anyone who is able to pick-up and deliver dirt to the desired drop points.
  2. Highway routing:  again, pretty obvious--this team would survey the end points of the bridge and design a route to connect the bridge to any main highway in the region, and then build those paths.  Please be kind to your neighbors living in the region in which you want to route the highway through; the best policy is asking permission before putting your shovel to the dirt.
  3. Bridge construction:  if you're interested in helping with the project but don't want to join until the construction bit that is perfectly fine.  This team will be responsible for planning the bridge segments, aqcuiring the materials to build those segments, and then, of course, building the bridge!

Note:  Teams aren't limited to the slots listed below; that's just a placeholder, of sorts.

Terraforming Team:

Highway Team:

1. Veste (Nefer)
  2. Ostentatio

Construction Team:

1. Neenee
  2. Thorakkanath

As far as materials go I'll get a count up here as soon as I can.

Please leave a comment if you're interested in joining the efforts, whether that be to join a team or just to donate materials!  We want to make sure we credit all those who help out as well.  If you have high skills to help out in any of these areas include that info as well!

P.S.  Participate in the poll above to let us know what type of bridge you want to Newspring!

P.S.S.  Keep in mind that flat bridges will require more bricks and mortar due to having support pillars.

Here's a sample of what the bridges might look like if arched or flat.  Both images are of marble because the stone texture was giving me errors in DeedPlanner, so just imagine the white is also grey!

EEBsknP.jpg

8FbBrg4.jpg

Update:  A whopping 58% of the voters would like to see an arched bridge for this project (as of right now) so we're going to go ahead and name that type the winner.  Each type has its own value, obviously, but arched will also make this project less demanding on resources such as bricks and mortar.  Now to determine the material type... :)

Edited by Slickshot
Bold highlighted team leaders

As before mentioned in the older thread I am interested in participating in the road building aspect of the project. I have already started scouting the area on the north side of the proposed bridge for an ideal highway location to attach to other highways. 

So, far I have a few potential routes, some difficult, some easier, some passing no more than 10 tiles from any existing deeds.

What I would really like is someone to collaborate with about the route, as this would only be the 2nd highway I've ever built in Wurm, and back then we couldn't even pave diagonally!

I am ready to start building a highway now, however I wont start yet. Instead, since I have build access to the deeds that Shmeric set up I will build some places for people to do some basic living out (horse park, beds, cooking, etc.).

You can find me at the north side of the bridge on Nefer or Festecles

• Like 3

I'll definitely attach you to the highway team Veste.  The project will likely sit on hold during the holidays, which I'd assume most people expected.  Just wanted to give the heads up!

I could also use experienced players who want to take on the responsibility of  team leaders.  Each of the three teams needs a leader, so if you're experienced with terraforming from water, highway construction, bridge planning, etc, please don't be shy to sign up!  Having leaders will make the job a little smoother so that we aren't relying on project managers (myself, Shmeric) to scramble all over the place approving/designing certain aspects of the grand project any time a question comes up.

*Edited the OP*

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 2

And what are your plans for midpoints?

islands high enough to attach bridge to? or buildings?

If you plan buildings , hope the quality is high unless deeded.

Have seen enough bridges disappear due to buildings decaying away and not set for anyone to repair.

Midpoints are dirt, approximately 90-100 dirt above water (3 stories). This is planned to be a permanent highway.

Current houses on the spires are temporary and will go poof! when building starts.

My official Bridge Engineer is Cevanne with awesome 98.8 masonry.

All she needs are some 93ql bridge tools :ph34r: so if anyone has high QL bronze, please give a shout.

Edited by Shmeric
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Freddykrueger said:

I got 3k dirt on Indy i can donate if someone can pick it up 

I can pick it up.  Thank you!  Message me with your location details.  I probably won't be by today or this weekend, but some time next week.

19 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Midpoints are dirt, approximately 90-100 dirt above water (3 stories). This is planned to be a permanent highway.

Current houses on the spires are temporary and will go poof! when building starts.

My official Bridge Engineer is Cevanne with awesome 98.8 masonry.

All she needs are some 93ql bridge tools :ph34r: so if anyone has high QL bronze, please give a shout.

I've also asked Jberg if he'd be willing to help plan the bridge, as his masonry is top of the line.

I don't have any great skills, but I can help transport dirt from the east coast, and I can definitely help build the bridge when it's ready to be built. I can contribute supplies as well (bricks, possibly marble bricks). 

2 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

I don't have any great skills, but I can help transport dirt from the east coast, and I can definitely help build the bridge when it's ready to be built. I can contribute supplies as well (bricks, possibly marble bricks). 

Would you like to join the construction team? @NeeNee

Edited by Slickshot

Beware that someone can come and make deed somewhere and block project to get finished.... happend to me on exodus....  so deed every dirt support an star end of bridge

Just now, Sila said:

Beware that someone can come and make deed somewhere and block project to get finished.... happend to me on exodus....  so deed every dirt support an star end of bridge

He has temporary buildings set up on the dirt pillars, which will prevent deeding.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sila said:

As Ost said, the dirt pillars have buildings on them to prevent deeding.  If someone were to drop a deed in the middle of the ocean to block that plan there would be a very strong argument for griefing (seen it deemed griefing before).  We should be clear.  Shmeric also has deeds on the mainland landing sections of the bridge.

Speaking of mainland landing deeds... The temporary base camp at the Northern landing for the bridge is now complete: It includes: Workshop, Cookhouse, Bunkhouse (5 beds), Mailbox, Horse Pen, Couple of carts, and a Nahjo Altar (because Nahjo is still the best).

I still plan to add a few lamps, and I will probably make 2 or 3 silver altars for blessing.

I plan to do something very similiar at the southern landing as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Would you like to join the construction team? @NeeNee

Yes! I can lend a hand when needed. 

Hello,

Very fine project I will contribute a lot of my time with the building (this is an alt of Cevanne).

Have 10k marble shards that i can contribute and a lot of veins to cut more.

For planning i can only plan 36 long bridges because of my ql91 dioptra.

So if you know someone with high metallurgy skills that can make me a better dioptra please let him/her pm me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faldor said:

Hello,

Very fine project I will contribute a lot of my time with the building (this is an alt of Cevanne).

Have 10k marble shards that i can contribute and a lot of veins to cut more.

For planning i can only plan 36 long bridges because of my ql91 dioptra.

So if you know someone with high metallurgy skills that can make me a better dioptra please let him/her pm me.

Jberg also offered to help plan the bridge if need be, so that helps.  So far it looks like regular stone is preferred over marble.

21 minutes ago, Finist said:

Can join as Digger (77 skill) How i can find you?

I'll get a hold of you after the holidays to get everything rolling.

Looks like the poll was moved to Xanadu section, meh.

Anyhow, a bump to it, those who care should really vote before the year ends because 2017 we'll start building first sections.

So far it seems to be flat stone. Personally I love the looks of long arched bridges, but looks like I'll be on the losing side :(

Also, as far as I know, ships will get stuck on the bridge supports, but if you want that... :unsure:

To clarify, the dirt pillars are three stories high, bridges will NOT be connected to buildings, the bridge will be 3 tiles wide.

• Like 1

Only problem with a flat bridge is that the dirt pillars will need to be taller in order to fit tall ships underneath.

3 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Only problem with a flat bridge is that the dirt pillars will need to be taller in order to fit tall ships underneath.

The spires are 90 dirts tall which is more than enough. :)  Also, bridge supports are I believe 5 tiles apart, which is plenty of room to miss them, unless you're drunk...and then you deserve to hit them. haha

As for getting moved to this sub-forum I requested to be moved back to the Town Square.  There are dozens of server-specific threads in that sub-forum that are never moved, so I see no reason why this one was.  I put it in the Town Square for a reason.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 3

I'd like to skill my masonry so I guess ill be on the construction team :P

As far as dirt is concerned, I am already zeroed out with the highway that I needed to stop due to lack of dirt lol

Just a note that a flat bridge will cost about 4 times more materials then an arched bridge. This because we need a lot of massive supports in deep sea.

A ship can pass under all the bridges: wurm is 2D it does not calculate height. But sailing through a 10 high bridge with a caravel is not a nice view.

Has anyone thought to ask the residents of Newspring if we actually want a bridge built over to us? D: