Sign in to follow this  
enoofu

Asheron's Call is Cancelled

looks like one of the longest running game is no more, I use to play  Asheron’s Call 2 which was a OK MMO which came out around WoW

"It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the end of our support for Asheron's Call and Asheron’s Call 2, and will close both services on January 31st, 2017.

This decision did not come easy, and we know this is disappointing for many of you. This game is a labor of love, and it's not easy for us to bring it to an end.

We have had a phenomenally long run; one of the longest in the world of MMORPGs, and that in and of itself is a spectacular feat. We are proud of our legacy, and the entire Asheron's Call team has been honored to adventure with you for nearly twenty years. We thank you very much for being a part of it.

It’s been an amazing run. You’ve done Asheron Realaidain proud.

Between now and January 31st, 2017, the game will remain available to play, completely free, for any player currently with an account. New account creation will be disabled.

If you have any questions, please visit support.wbgames.com"

yep.  I have a lifetime membership or something, but not really played much in the last few years.  Started in 99.  Was my first graphic MMO.  Gemstone was where I got my start, before that.  Sad news.

Why close it are they not making money? Seems odd to just cancel a mmo these days.

I used to play Asheron's Call back in 1999, it lured me away from Everquest because of its open free sandbox style (versus grouped guild raids and leveling treadmill focus of EQ. 

I played it for years. it is one of my fondest memories but just not able to compete with "modern" graphics and MMO gaming styles.

asherons-call-player-character.jpg

What ever happened to them releasing the server code to the playerbase to create free community run servers?

edit: Hmmm this does not sound good:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

WB is a Movie Conglomerate, not a MMO Publisher. They're in it for the IPs of the MMOs, not the genre or the games themselves.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, geode said:

WB is a Movie Conglomerate, not a MMO Publisher. They're in it for the IPs of the MMOs, not the genre or the games themselves.

Well I guess that explains what happened. Maybe that is why some of the devs were trying to rush the abanoned game into pubic domain a few years ago, then ... WB said nuh nuh?

Turbine which is owned by WB sold its MMO's of DnD and Lotro to  Standing Stone Games which appears to be ex staff of Turbine

Turbine wants to focus 100% on App phone games and I Don't think either wanted AC

its pretty much garbage. They spent six months transferring the server to a life long membership server only to cancel it four months later.

My father called me this evening on my way to work and said, "welp, Joe, it looks like they are finally cancelling Asheron's Call. Do you have any other of those EM PEE OH JAY PEE GEES (He means MMORPG but didn't remember the acronym) that I could play."

I told him about the Calysto Server for Wurm and my recent return to Eve Online.

Needless to say, he is very sad. We started AC in '99 together.

Moot, your dad might also be interested in a "new but oldschool" MMO called Project Gorgon, run by a couple of early AC  devs (Sandra Powers & Eric Heimburg). It's a little quirky and offbeat but that tends to appeal to longtime AC players :D

On 12/21/2016 at 6:58 PM, Wurmhole said:

yep.  I have a lifetime membership or something, but not really played much in the last few years.  Started in 99.  Was my first graphic MMO.  Gemstone was where I got my start, before that.  Sad news.

Gemstone was my first start as well.

Oh damn. I played AC back in 2000.

That was a cool game. Too bad about its shutdown.