Sign in to follow this  
Shmeric

Newspring bridge

Hi. 

Recently it has come to attention of several restless wurmians that someone has started building a bridge "or something" to connect Newspring hermits to the rest of Xanadu's community. 

With the new map dumps it's even more clear, so here's my confession.

Yes, I've started dropping and shaping the dirt pillars for Newspring bridge system. 

So far I've been doing it by myself and quietly. Not necessarily in secrecy, but I haven't really announced it to public either. But with more people asking around and getting directed to me, here's the public thread. 

Disclaimer. All of this "plan" is just my own thoughts put on digital paper. You have the right to disagree and I have the right to either acknowledge or ignore your opinion. This undertaking is not my main job and not my only current project in Wurm. 

The plan. (may or may not be altered based on anything)

6W9Na1G.png

(click for larger image)

The whole bridge will consist of 9 sections, each roughly 36 tiles long and 3 tiles wide; plus a shorter up'n'down ramp in each end.

The dirt pillars will rise about 3 stories (90 dirt) above water.

Final bridge will not be connected to any building, it needs to get highway protection and not be controlled by me or any other player or closed group.

The type of the bridge (rock or marble, arched or flat) will be decided later based on public opinion.

Done so far.

Math and numbers. I've measured the distances and approximate depth of all the pillar spots. Wish it was easier... 

3 pillars are done and 4th is pretty much done too, just need to find the moment to empty my dirt carriers.

Two deeds at both end of the planned bridge. For reasons.

Talked to a master mason (will be named if they give permission for it) with high enough skill to plan the bridge sections. 

To do.

4 pillars to create. This is the toughest part because so far it has been relatively shallow water, less than 600 dirt deep. The pillars 1, 2 and 3 are respectively 660, 680 and 740 dirt deep under water. Not so bad numbers. But here's the scary part. 

660 dirt under water, on flat seabed, takes about 400 crates of dirt.

680 depth is about 440 crates.

740 depth is 560 crates.

But the ground is not flat and those numbers are actually much higher, I would expect to see 1500 crates of dirt for those 3 pillars total, probably even more. 

The last pillar, number 4, takes only about 40k dirt.

And to be clear, this is just to get one tile to surface, there are additional crates to raise them high and big enough. 

Building it. Child's play compared to what needs to be done before.

After it's done.

I have not made any further plans how or where the roads/highways will run after the big monster is done. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it. 

If you want to join in.

Bring dirt. With the recent favor and priest changes, my Nahjo worshipper's dirt production has slowed down (chopping the onions makes me cry). If anyone wants to take part in this madness, then each and every crate with dirt is very welcome. You can either bring it to the bridge deeds, permissions will be set to unload for everyone) or just ship it to the right spot and throw overboard. The pillar locations are marked by anchored boats. I am not going to boss you around but if you get on my nerves, I'll just have to slap you. 

Now you know, thanks for reading and happy wurming! 

If you feel the urge to contact me, I'm Shmeric in the game, Shmeric on forums. 

• Like 7

I think many people in this group would like to help out, I know I would, especially with the building phase.  As far as the roads are concerned at the mainland junctions I feel we can probably figure that out too, as highway improvements is another issue at hand.

• Like 1

2 wide would be plenty good enough. 3 wide is quite a crazy feat.

This will be a amazing project. I'm quite a miser with my dirt. But can come out to help build later.

• Like 1

I hope I didn't open a can of "wurms" by suggesting this project and then mentioning it was already in the works! No extra dirt atm, but would definitely donate any I come across from here on out. Certainly an epic project that I believe will require server-wide assistance. What a feat it will be to connect the 2 "worlds" of Xanadu :P 

• Like 2

This is an incredible project.

I like the imprint you've already left on the map! Imagine the finished product.

If I can find a way to help, I will do what I can.

Looking at the map, the highway east of you wouldn't be the hardest thing to connect to.

Just need to figure out if the place west of the dirt walls is deeded, and if the dirt walls deed is large enough to block a straight path from the end of the road. Local opinion shouldn't be hard to obtain, and if you develop up to within a handful of tiles from the highway, GM approval seems like a no brainer. (Connecting highway to highway, at this point.)

This may be somewhere I can help, roads are fun projects.

Edited by Makarus
yeehaw

Hi,

I have been living with Shmeric's village for years now and I knew that he wanted to do this project, I knew that he was obsessively collecting dirt, I just had no idea how much other work he had done on it. I feel it's time for me to start helping out. Collecting and dropping dirt is not my cup of tea, so I will start the highway on the north side of the bridge.

My plan is not set in stone, and there is still a lot of surveying to do but I plan to head east-ish from the bridge and connect to the lavender highway that is there. 

I plan to continue the highway north from where the lavender highway ends in the sand pit. The highway should continue North and veer East as some point to connect to the highway in the mountain pass at O11. I don't know much about that highway, but it looks like it connects to Loremere.

If anyone wants to check out the area or help me plan, or whatever, and doesn't want to travel down at this early stage please let me know. I frequently broadcast my Wurm gameplay on Twitch and would be happy to give a tour of the area around the bridge and the area's where the highways need to go. Just contact me in game and I can give you the info: Nefer (priest main) Festecles (builder main) Thewatcher (camera alt).

o/

Edited by veste
Added Char names. Fixed some confusing typo's
  • Like 2

The only thing I'll say to those eager to help out--if you drop crates of dirt drop them on the Nsb North deed or the Nsb South deed (on the island), and if you're wanting to help with highways please be patient on that accord.  The highways will take a decent amount of surveying to find the best routes and get permission from others in the area, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get started on that portion of the project.  Don't worry too much about making bricks/mortar yet, as the bridge type hasn't been decided.

To further this project, I'll also offer my services, not only in dropping dirt and building the bridge itself, but in transporting dirts. I have an empty caravel for shipping purposes, so if anyone out there has dirt they want to donate, but no way to haul it all, give me a shout.  I'll swing by and pick it up (if plausible).  Thanks!

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 2

My Wurm time is limited lately and I'm not very often available; and I'm not the biggest fan of organizing projects with more than 3 people in it. Reminds me of work too much.

Slickshot has offered help in tracking resources and people. To be honest, I don't know him much or his history. But I also know this is a game of pixels and I'm not going to turn down his offer. Nobody has to follow or do anything, but I just confirm that right now he has my blessings to organize and plan along and whatnot. He's also going to make the poll about bridge type because apparently I am not skilled enough to find that option on this forum. 

That said, I still keep ownership of the north and south deeds, those will remain open and public throughout the process (and later and always)

There is going to be some sort of accommodation in those deeds for builders and other participants. Beds, in particular.

I will continue participating in this madness as often as my time allows. 

Shoutout to Veste (Nefer, Festecles, Thewatcher, & thatFeker), go follow his twitch stream if nothing better to do. (shameless village promotion)

Let the dirt flow! :)

• Like 3