Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Mega Proposal: Newspring Bridge or Improved Mainland Highways? (Xanadu)

Mega Project  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Xanadu Improvements?

• Bridge from Newspring to the mainland
    • Improve the highway connections between starter towns

So in a recent thread I made about having a mega project several community members chimed in with interest for a bridge connecting Newspring to the mainland.  A few others chimed in for improved highway connections between the starter towns on Xanadu.  Those two ideas pretty much took over that thread. lol  In fairness of that I figured a new project proposal was in order.  So which would you prefer if you had to choose:  a bridge connecting Newspring to the mainland, or improved highways on the mainland connecting starter towns?

Let me know what you think.  If you're excited to help with either project ASSUMING we can get it off the ground without ruffling too many feathers then please chime in!  Either of these projects will require great digging skills.  The bridge will require more dirt than probably exists (who knows?), as well as 29803 tons of bricks.  Sounds fun right!? lol  Anyhow, leave a comment below. 

• Like 1

I'm 100% in favor of a bridge from Xanadu to the mainland, and connecting it to a highway seems rather doable.

The biggest obstacle is the sheer mind-numbing amount of dirt involved, but I would gladly gather and donate what I can.

I also have 92.86 masonry skill, some rock shards I could donate/turn into bricks, and a 90.13QL dioptra. I'm sure other people have better, but even if I can't help plan the bridge sections, I can certainly help build them. I know the area pretty well, so I could also help plan connecting it to an existing Newspring-linked highway and with whatever work would be involved.

• Like 2

Isn't two polling questions two different topics? Can we not have both? 

6 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Isn't two polling questions two different topics? Can we not have both? 

Sure we could.  Just depends on if people want to work on a big project one at a time or not.  Easier, imo, to focus on one before the other.  Resources take a long time to pile up.

• Like 1

I heard through the grapevine that a bridge to Newspring is already in the works...

1 hour ago, Araninke said:

I heard through the grapevine that a bridge to Newspring is already in the works...

I heard someone was planning on doing that project eventually, but not that it had started.  I know you had mentioned it in the other thread.  Wasn't sure if you were going to work on it or not.

Edited by Slickshot

No.

I prefer to finish the project to connect Glasshollow to Linton.

1 hour ago, Slickshot said:

I heard someone was planning on doing that project eventually, but not that it had started.  I know you had mentioned it in the other thread.  Wasn't sure if you were going to work on it or not.

Someone has already built some dirt pylons in the sea, but I believe their source of dirt dried up.

You can see it very clearly in the new map dumps; switch to topographical mode.

Voted for NS bridge. We need a real connection between those. It'll be for the best- profitable and monumental by all means. 

My deed, Moonlight's Castle is fairly close, I can see NS islands from my towers, so I can help with my bare hands.

Newspring is SO far from me, but it seems like a lot of newbs start off there and feel stuck. I could lend a hand in the new year, either building, or sending my priest over to cast Dirt 8 billion times. :D

I do think improving Xan highways should come next though. 

8 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Someone has already built some dirt pylons in the sea, but I believe their source of dirt dried up.

You can see it very clearly in the new map dumps; switch to topographical mode.

Any idea who started?  If they've already begun then it would be best to join their effort.

• Like 1

Glasshollow team can also help with this project when all bridges started... till then we have our big project.

4 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Any idea who started?  If they've already begun then it would be best to join their effort.

I've checked my logs to make sure just now.

Shmeric started them up, planning for 37-length bridges, 3 tiles wide each, but after Nahjo's favor rates were changed his dirt supply has slowed down. I would suggest getting in touch with him and pointing him toward this thread, since he's already got the project started and planned out.

• Like 1

I'm extending my deed a bit more, so will be digging away a fair amount (no idea exactly, but definitely a shipload or two) of dirt. I'll be using some for a road project, but was going to fling the rest off the coastline to get rid of it.

As a solo project, I was just going to nibble away at it, but I'd be delighted to accommodate anyone who wants to help remove it

My place is at o15 on Indy (south coast of Inner Sea), a stone's throw from a deepwater harbour on the coast

Hi.

Regarding the Newspring bridge, here's what I've planned and what I've done so far. 

• Like 2

I've spoken with Shmeric about the Newspring bridge and some of the particulars.  I'm going to survey the area to make sure I have a firm grasp of his plan and then we can get this group rolling!

I have some crates of dirt/sand stockpiled, although a pitiful amount in comparison to what is needed. I can always gather more and see what dent I can make in the supplies, if we're going forward.

I'd also like to help survey the area on the planned Newspring end of the bridge and see how to best connect it to the island's highway system, but obviously that's pretty low on the list of priorities at this point.

EDIT: I would personally prefer flat stone bridges rather than arched bridges, as I think it looks better over such a long span, but that of course assumes the amount of extra dirt needed isn't too prohibitive.

Edited by Ostentatio

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

I have some crates of dirt/sand stockpiled, although a pitiful amount in comparison to what is needed. I can always gather more and see what dent I can make in the supplies, if we're going forward.

I'd also like to help survey the area on the planned Newspring end of the bridge and see how to best connect it to the island's highway system, but obviously that's pretty low on the list of priorities at this point.

If you can bring the crates that would be great.  If you can't let me know and perhaps I can pick them up in my caravel.  If you do drop crates be sure to drop them on the Nsb south deed on the island, or on the Nsb north deed on the mainland.  Those deeds are dedicated to the bridge project.  Go ahead and survey the island highway route.  I'll also be surveying it when I get over there, so comparing notes will be good.  I'm going to try to survey the whole project, highway to bridge to highway, to make sure I have a picture of the entire project, so having second opinions will be nice.  Shmeric is going to continue collecting up dirt and drop a bridge material poll before too long.

My other inquiries for those interested in helping:

1. We could use volunteers with high digging skill for building up the dirt spires
  2. Any blacksmiths with very high skill willing to imp bridge building tools?
  3. Shmeric said he has a high-level mason for planning the bridge segments, but if there are any others out there interested in helping with that part please let me know.  The sections will be 36 tiles in length, so you'll need to have near max Masonry skill.

Here's my most recent skill dump (very slightly out of date, but generally correct): https://niarja.com/skill_compare/Ostentatio

I can't plan that length of bridge yet, and you'd probably want a better digger for those slopes, but I'll help out in any way I can, even if it's just gathering materials, making bricks & mortar, and helping build the bridge itself. I can get the raw materials in pretty high QL, so that may help a bit.

I have a neighbor who's a pretty good blacksmith; I'll have to check with him. My dioptra QL is just barely over 90, which is theoretically enough for a 36-tile bridge, but in practice it might need to be just a touch higher... I can probably get the lumps to do it (it's gold), and can probably find a blacksmith capable of bringing it up a bit. The range pole should be less of a problem, as that's just Carpentry. Be aware we will want someone with high body stamina to do the actual holding of the pole, as it actually takes quite a bit at such length... alternatively, have someone to refresh the holder's stamina during the process.

I think I'll also try to maintain a data log on my pc to keep track of who donated and how much.  Might be fun for putting up signs later along the bridge.

Edited by Slickshot

Okay, I hate making separate topics but to keep everything straight and tidy I'm making an official Newspring Bridge topic in the Town Square as this project is underway.  Shmeric also has such a topic, but it's listed in the Xanadu sub-forum.  To help the project see more growth in the forum I'm making a similar post with some additions in the Town Square.  So, all of you who are interested in helping with the Newspring Bridge, please pop on over to this thread: