Sign in to follow this  
Sila

palm trees in sand

i +1 but only if the density is very bare..like..1 every 10 tiles lol

• Like 1

In keeping with my biome-having wishes, +1, but definitely with a large, large kill zone, and no spreading unless there's a large expanse of sand (so it doesn't ruin the knowledge tiles)?

One way to control the spread would be to make them non-naturally spreading. Since we can make coconuts, simply having palm trees never sprout or spread naturally would let people make resorts or farms without them turning deserts into forests or wiping out PoK tiles.

Edit: If we ever do get biomes, I'd recommend that for all non-native plants. You can plant them and harvest them, but they will not sprout or spread in the wrong biome.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

+1

On 12/20/2016 at 6:59 AM, Marlon said:

I don't think palms/cactii actually kill stuff around them though, so just doing that for the sake of balancing... nah. A better approach would be to make them plantable only, or something like that.

The idea itself, +1 all the way.

Well what if instead of that, they randomly drop coconuts, or other fruit based on the variety they are, and when said fruit "rots" it will seed a new tree, within a number of tiles from the tile the fruit rotted on?  But to stop them from spreading very fast, the fruit could take very little damage over time? Just ideas for balancing, and somewhat realism :)

-1 if there is any risk to ruining desert and beach visibility.  I LOVE when I exit a forest and have many KMs of visibility in a desert.  1 palm every 10 tiles will still ruin our deserts.  I'll only +1 if they do not spread on their own.

If it were me, I'd make the requirement for a palm to grow something like this:  Must have a dirt tile to actually grow.  Must have several sand tiles within 10 tiles of the dirt.  This will allow palms to grow in clusters along the edges of deserts and beaches, without spreading into the desert/beach or into the forest.

Boo for cactus!  I have so many bad memories of getting stuck in a cactus patch as a kid and believe me, it is no fun!  I'll just ride around the deserts all day killing cacti to eradicate it!  However, if it is potted, I'll say yes.