Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 20/DEC/16

4 minutes ago, JockII said:

Next change Increase size of buildings based on carpentry buildings to 10 times current and find a way for buildings to be "split" by raiders by removing the plan and it snapping back to the closest wall.

Epic Buildings, No real problem for pvp (if you say but the gap between longhouses  and the tall stone wall, i'll call you a moron Bridges filled that gap)

Ugh. Buildings are the worst during a raid. Some of my most drunken moments have been spent atop dirt walls checking the damage and trying to dodge catapult shots. That's also been how some of my deaths happened. Never by a player though... because I'm that good. :D

On the other hand, they're also a pain to build. It's always a juggle of "should something that takes THAT long to build be demolished by lighting a fart with a matchstick?" And "we've been here so long, I'm seriously going to consider breaking out the matchsticks."

• Like 3

There are plenty of ways to add rewards for attacking or raiding an enemy, destruction to the point of elimination will not keep people wanting to play especially because of how long things take to build and make. 

• Like 1

idk everytime we got raided it was faster to rebuild than for them to take down. Which meant after they left we'd have it rebuilt and improved when they return.

I guess i have a different drive/supportive group of players willing. Idk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mclovin said:

idk everytime we got raided it was faster to rebuild than for them to take down. Which meant after they left we'd have it rebuilt and improved when they return.

I guess i have a different drive/supportive group of players willing. Idk. 

Back before people resorted to unsavory tactics rather than actual skill, we had a fairly good support system as well. I saw some impressive things built fairly quickly. But still, 30 people building longhouses from rock, sand, and clay - vs 10 people - 5 with catapults and 5 keeping the ammo coming from a near-by mine. 

That's always been an issue to me. Yet 10 people with enough bricks can usually keep the walls standing as well, so there's that. To Maurizio's point, I've always thought it'd be interesting to have a different "point" to PvP. What kept me on Chaos for so long were the people I knew there and the closeness of a kingdom. Anything you needed was fairly easily provided and anything you could provide in return was appreciated. It was a good stint while it lasted. Besides that, I'd have to say just knowing you were vulnerable was another point. Bit of a rush, that. Or it was when I first went over anyway. Lost it's edge and my interest when leaving the kingdom took an hour.

• Like 2

I never understood the arbitrary building caps for floor size, max height I can get with structural integrity but look at some of the HUGE insane castles that they built. Looking at how these cultural and world changing things that were built like the great pyramids, or the wall of china beyond imagable the scale that took kingdoms generations to build. What would happen if wurm changed this?

From a PVE point of few

This would open grand community built projects like never seen before, think elevated road or the great wall of "insert name". This would give the world a sense of adventure and fill it with these amazingly grand new structures for people to go out explore and see. The Grand Tour of wurm'S wonders!

Pvp Side/Griefing

The issue comes down to the plan. Players can't break apart or remove another player's planned building, the last thing you want is someone planning a 400 tile long building to build 1 wall and hold the land forever. To fix this either create it as an extension system you can always add to a building up to your current max carpentry or afetr a few days plans go away "snapping" back to their only finished/started tiles.(decaying quick if not finished).

For Pvp the biggest issue to raiding is dirt walls. This is know and is fine. The issue is you can't rip down a dirt wall if it even just has a plan on it. To fix it full stop even before this allow enemies to break tiles of plans forcing them to  "snap" back of that tile.

Economy

Brick and mortar(building mats) the bread and butter of any new players source of income would be enhanced many many times.

Traveling to grand location mean new markets higher local economies would flourish.

Construction of Deeds and protection of wonders. With large scale comes large resp... buying of land and upkeep.

18 hours ago, Keenan said:

Back before people resorted to unsavory tactics rather than actual skill, we had a fairly good support system as well. I saw some impressive things built fairly quickly. But still, 30 people building longhouses from rock, sand, and clay - vs 10 people - 5 with catapults and 5 keeping the ammo coming from a near-by mine. 

That's always been an issue to me. Yet 10 people with enough bricks can usually keep the walls standing as well, so there's that. To Maurizio's point, I've always thought it'd be interesting to have a different "point" to PvP. What kept me on Chaos for so long were the people I knew there and the closeness of a kingdom. Anything you needed was fairly easily provided and anything you could provide in return was appreciated. It was a good stint while it lasted. Besides that, I'd have to say just knowing you were vulnerable was another point. Bit of a rush, that. Or it was when I first went over anyway. Lost it's edge and my interest when leaving the kingdom took an hour.

Failujah was pretty much flattened and next day it be fully built again, ok, some low stone walls where some doors should be but we didn't complain xD

Yet 10 people with enough bricks can usually keep the walls standing as well

Ye, and mine hops to defend from once the long houses drop, then safe mines to fall back to if we're leveling the deed...On chaos, a 5 minute log off timer to log-out pretty quick.
I don't like raiding I rather be raided, although during 2 years I've only been online twice to defend. It's pretty cool feeling wish my deeds were raided more, i just think the attacker is weighed against too much IF players are online to defend.

On 12/19/2016 at 9:21 AM, SmeJack said:

Australians have taken over, it's dec 20 deal with it ;)

When are you time-travelling bastards gonna cut a deal with me regarding lottery numbers ffs?

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

When are you time-travelling bastards gonna cut a deal with me regarding lottery numbers ffs?

We're just on the better side of the world, that's all :)

2 hours ago, Mclovin said:

Failujah was pretty much flattened and next day it be fully built again, ok, some low stone walls where some doors should be but we didn't complain xD

I still cannot understand how you guys rebuilt day in and day out after we flattened there and at one stage Crimea. ( I was kinda only there for a couple of them raids, so not sure how many times it happened) 

• Like 1

The biggest issue I see is the narrow minded tactics in order to gain something (loot). All raiding is about is loot, the claims of wanting pvp is a fallacy when the real want is loot. The complaints about alts, the complaints about main toons only wearing crap gear rather then good gear, the complaints about how hard or boring it is to raid (flatten a deed because we all know that's the only way to actually get to the loot) and how things should be made easier. The issue is none of this fixes the issue with the game where there are not enough reasons to fight. 

Rather then figuring out ways to push people off server (because that is what flattening a deed will do) I never see suggestions given that add more enjoyable pvp content. Perhaps if the devs start seeing some good suggestions for pvp content and not "make destroying deeds easier" we might see some added in game. 

I, like keenan, have always hoped to see more reasons for that community effort that chaos is known for to be grander then it ever was and is now.

• Like 1

Deeds also shouldn't be irredestructable fortifications where everything is safe. go freedom for that.

All raiding is about is loot

not really, Failujah nor Crimea had loot and the enemy knew this.

War deeds should be flattened and can be. Defended deeds simply won't be if the defence is dedicated, you might lose a Battle at a deed and your deed will fall, but eventually the enemy will leave [unless they are more dedicated than the defenence] and you will quickly be able to rush in, set up a simple mine door and transport supplies over, this was done with Failujah, Failujah was a deed that connected 2 land points, having it gone for our enemy was probably a good thing, us keeping it delayed there advance into our lands. It was fun defending/rebuilding. War deeds are hard to maintain [drains means you want smallest size] so you're limited to defence. A bigger deed has more defence, probably more people there and if theres loot, more people willing to defend. 

And theres so many lame tactics to delay the attackers, placing fence gates on tile borders[and locking them] as your house falls around you, preventing them from leveling the dirt wall xD Theres probably more beyond my knowlegde, I don't raid much.

ofc the lame tactic of an attacker is raid when nobody online...urgh.

I completely agree deeds shouldnt have months of work wiped away in a week by a bigger force, but attacking deeds is broken and stacked, just fixing the bugs with catapaulting would be enough, I don't think there should be extra damage vs walls or anything. Mine doors are an issue tho. Kinda think a deed getting disbanded should give back the cost it took to place...Some incentive to keep players who lost  a deed on the map...Even give them a settlement form instead to go plant a new one!

Alts are a big issue in wurm...Should be titles that can be given to 25 players in a kingdom that gives 1+cr - that way players with that title [probably mains] would have incentive to use their mains more for a bonus. If you want to place it on an alt, thats fine, your main would be disadvantaged. give it a 1 month cool down if resetting title/giving new.  

Hota tho is a weird one...There really should be some kind of reward for a chain-cap of pillars now that /Rank was removed. I think if you get x caps you should be rewarded. X-wins if you particapated in a kill during that or capped a pillar should give better titles/rewards too. Just more than what the standard loot is. I think more is needed to urge players to use and dedicate more achivements to 1 pvp account than using alts. 

I'm gonna leave a quote here from a friend who was recently part of a group chat talking about alts. Sums up perfectly good intention and bad intention and counters arguments to those who try to say "my alt has 70 fs" or something... Gonna rename the accounts to "alts" and main accounts since the convo was private :]

Using alts is a slippery slope and if you don't understand how using An Alt on a boat in PVP is different than trying to solo cap hota with an alt this conversation won't go anywhere. The Alt lowers the overall effectiveness of your 5 man team so there's a trade off of risk vs reward. You put your kingdom more at risk by not being as strong as your main. Because you're too selfish to risk your stuff be it gear or affinities or ego or whatever you make your group overall weaker and less likely to succeed. That's the risk.

Sending a single alt to hota to try to steal a win doesn't lower your kingdom's chances at victory so there's no trade off. Risk free. If that same alt was at hota with say 9 other people and there was a fight no one would think twice about it being there because you increased the risk of every other person there. It's like the difference between my BL priest sitting in a cave casting botd or rt or whatever vs my BL priest being buried in a fully reinforced 1 tile mine stealthed outside of CZ so I can log in and see who you guys are bringing to hota(just an example my bl priest is at below the belt).

No one cares what gear you are or aren't wearing until it gets brought up as an excuse of why you don't win fights. It's not that you don't have the gear, we brought in tons of drake and scale and moon metal for the Kingdom while we were a part of it, it's just that you're scared to use it or it gets allocated to people who take it to freedom for their third backup set. Respect is important and I gained a lot of respect for mainsaccount wearing his drake even though no one else had the balls to. Respect is what keeps deeds standing. You're never going to win a fight against us half assing things in shitty gear.

When I first joined the Kingdom somesomeyears ago hota was decided by 2 naked dudes with longbows. Whoever got their horse shot out first suicided to try to prevent the other side from getting a tab even though there were 20-30 people in alliance tab. Let's not slide back into that hole.

Would love to see MORE reasons to raid and more reasons to defend deeds. More reasons to use a Main over an alt and reward a Main with chain-caps or chain kills.

Gonna leave a video here to sum up events at failujah.

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 1

Personally love raiding deeds always more lucrative than pvp. I can say that very few people have raided as many deeds as i have over the years, even breaking down deeds solo on many many ocassions big and small. Personally the reason deeds are so easy to rais has nothing todo with raid mechanics ect.

Its people they all want to have their own solo or small group deeds. Personally their needs to be more insentive to group up together plus alliance anouncements for when a deed has been drained(only drained!) Would help. To counter this once a deed is drained it should not spawn guards for 1 hour. 

So drain a deed no guards but the alliance knows it was drained. Drain at the end gives money, drain at the start gives money and no guards.

Also glad that they removed the cap on draining limit. Deeds where invincibile form that aspect.

And I disagree as I believe capital deeds should be stronger then they currently are to raid. They should take an entire server to band together to remove a kingdom.

The necessity of chaining guard towers for influence to plant a deed could be a good answer to many problems but this could also pave the way that the further expansion from a kingdoms capital the easier deeds are to raid. If that is the case more banding together would end up being the end result and you wouldn't have as many spread out deeds all over the map. 

One big issue is without a new server or a wipe this is hard to accomplish, unless the devs finally come to their senses and make HOTA dynamic spawning just like RiFTS. They clearly have the capability. 

Kingdoms would rule over regions clustered near where ever they placed or have their capital area. Now that you clustered kingdoms you can easily add in some other type of capture the flag mini game within kingdoms regions... Gives attackers something to do and defenders to have to defend. 

Moral of the story think of ways to gain loot and get kills without having to destroy what sometimes takes a small group years to build because all that will do is make them quit just so you can be happy walking away with some loot that will most likely sit your storage knarr in a safe mine.

• Like 1

honestly if it takes something like losing a deed to quit, they'll quit over any loss. Capitals are harder to raid, they normally sit deed in enemy territory and can have many templars cheaper, and size. Plus the amount of players to live here, wow

. They have half price cost too. Your ideas seem personal focused, i don't want to see capitals grow stronger and i defend 2, both have alllllllll my gear in. Guess that's why they'll be defended. Don't rely on pve or mechanics to defend your deed, wont end well. Making capitals stronger is game breaking..

Edited by Mclovin

Leaderboards with kills/death ratio and hota wins/losses (or how many pillars capped by you) with bonuses of some sort that can be rewarded in some way at certain milestones

I only say that because if left without rewards, only ego is left in its place as a reward.

So on top of having locked mine/gate/house hops around every corner to defend from that you can hop in and out of at any time and we cannot enter without great effort, 20 templars spawning every few mins because there so cheep from capital bonus and you can have a million like you and other capitals do, hours of longhouses, gates, stone walls and dirtwalls to break through plus bashing minedoors or denigrating into mines which both take ages and have limits, than you need to pick into all the boats and carts with loot in them which takes ages since 1 person can have a go at a 1% lock, or 0.05% chance with 60 lockpicking on a rare sailboat with a fantastic lock at a time what else do you want to defend a deed they take large groups hours and hour and if we leave for even a couple hours you can fix most of it quicker than we could break it not to mention you can repair while we try to break in. Your asking to be spoon fed because your scared people will play the game and attack you, its a kingdom vs kingdom land control game on pvp servers and your asking them to remove the basis of the entire pvp game if a kingdom can just 100% turtle inside a single deed and hide behind insane pve defenses and not even have to try and defend a deed because the mechanics take care of it for them because they founded a pmk to put capitol on 1 deed to play safe on and not because they built a good deed and are willing to defend it and the land they tried and failed to stake claim to that was apparently wanted by another group in a sandbox game with raiding and drain/disband mechanics put in just for that reason.

If some one managed to drain a capitol the multiple times it would take to disband all while the people living there are not even repairing it between raids or trying to defend than you obviously should concede that land to the people willing to fight for it and found a better capitol that is not located in your enemy's line of sight.

After 3 repairs rome gave up on failujah because we defend it and rebuilt it when they got in everytime until they realized we had it way easier repairing and the didn't want to spend 10 hours for us to fix it in 3.

Edited by Darklords

1 hour ago, Darklords said:

After 3 repairs rome gave up on failujah because we defend it and rebuilt it when they got in everytime until they realized we had it way easier repairing and the didn't want to spend 10 hours for us to fix it in 3.

Well said. Hard to Convince people to raid the same place for the same amount of time daily with the same effort if a dedicated group just rebuilds and repairs all that damage so quickly compared to the time spent wrecking the place. I always enjoyed seeing what the place looked like the next day after repairs. That time you guys put a huge stack of felled trees in the center was quite hilarious. Annnd the time reevi fell off a ledge and died to that spike trap... Oh man we still remind him of that almost every time we see him online.

• Like 2

Does the epic body stam adjustment apply to accounts that were non prem at the time of the patch as well?

Thinking outside the box and making comments that add content that would overall bring more people is pointless towards some of you narrow minded players. I continue to say stop thinking about yourself, and the comment is made that it sounds like I have a personal focus. Guess what i got enough money to make sure you can never break into any of our deeds, this isnt personal focused as we have no problems defending. But again i am thinking outside of the box unlike some of you. 

You want more reasons to fight and get fights and get loot, so instead of making something that takes groups years to build easier to raid, think of ways that make them fight over something directly affecting them. HOTA doesnt directly affect anyone so not everyone will feel the need to die over and over to fight for it, while if you make new mini missions or HOTA type capture the flag games directly within the region of a deed, and make it where its important to actually defend it or if not it somewhat affects you in some way then you might get some more reasons to get fights. This shouldn't always be about making destruction easy because THAT IS a personal focus vs my suggestion which is to bring in more content to promote fights. 

Guess what i got enough money to make sure you can never break into any of our deeds

welcome to part 1 of why raiding sucks

You want more reasons to fight and get fights and get loot, so instead of making something that takes groups years to build easier to raid, think of ways that make them fight over something directly affecting them

It shouldn't be "easier" to raid, it should be more fun - players should just be Encouraged to raid more by fixing the bugs/lameness a deed defense has, reffer to part 1.

fight over something directly affecting them

I think your deed being raided is affecting you, you should probably fight.

This shouldn't always be about making destruction easy because THAT IS a personal focus vs my suggestion which is to bring in more content to promote fights.

Destruction should be fun. It's fun to defend, you can only defend if destruction is fun and attackers want to raid. 

HOTA doesnt directly affect anyone so not everyone will feel the need to die over and over to fight for it, while if you make new mini missions or HOTA type capture the flag games directly within the region of a deed, and make it where its important to actually defend it or if not it somewhat affects you in some way then you might get some more reasons to get fights

Theres a battlecamp in ebos "zone" and im pretty sure you run alts down to cap it whilst others use their mains hoping to get a fight. I feel like you know will happen if a "game" spawned within region of your deed. Alts. I won't say any more.

Thinking outside the box and making comments that add content that would overall bring more people is pointless towards some of you narrow minded players.

Tbh, your ideas for me just aren't good or appealing. You want [like always] an event/pvp to come to your deed local. I don't know why any enemy would want to come sit outside another persons local to compete in something where one side can fall back to infinite horses/respawns/armor whilst one side gets none of that. I mean look at how you play the game, literally the only pvp you get is when my kingdom or other kingdoms decide to get off their bums and visit you. Otherwise you aren't getting any pvp because you never leave deed. This sort of update where an event comes to you/your deed is probably perfect for you. A safe fall back whilst the enemy are at a disadvantage. Perfect for you. Great idea!

Now you can excuse my narrow minded in the box thinking, but I tend to think away from deeds and more reason to leave them is better. If players want to coupe up in their deed which they "have enough money to stop raiders" then there is a clear problem. Look at any game with raiding; Rust, Ark. Sure, they're "faster" games, but WO pvp was NEVER meant to have what you call a unraidable deed; not through money and the mine doors and other mechanics around raiding taking HOURS upon HOURS for the attacker and minor hours to repair for the defender, with the attacker being stacked against...Sorry, but you care more for the items you have than core gameplay elements. I don't care for your loot. When I get loot I'm happy to roll for it and have everybody in Kingdom win/use, I'm rarely selling loot so the value of loot you keep trying to apply to people is false, you kinda forget it's a 2 way trip. If raiding becomes easier thats easier for my enemies to steal my stuff. I'm totally fine with that. I want to see more deed building, more deed raiding and more deed defence. If you think otherwise you lost sight of wurm and gained sight of the items you have. 

Whilst nearly every complaint from all sides is "raiding is too hard, long and boring" you say "destruction is bad" - yet people wonder why the chaos map becomes stagnite, when all it takes is a big pocket to stop the map from changing at all. 

Do you actually think raiding as it is right now is fine?

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

Thinking outside the box and making comments that add content that would overall bring more people is pointless towards some of you narrow minded players. I continue to say stop thinking about yourself, and the comment is made that it sounds like I have a personal focus. Guess what i got enough money to make sure you can never break into any of our deeds, this isnt personal focused as we have no problems defending. But again i am thinking outside of the box unlike some of you. 

You want more reasons to fight and get fights and get loot, so instead of making something that takes groups years to build easier to raid, think of ways that make them fight over something directly affecting them. HOTA doesnt directly affect anyone so not everyone will feel the need to die over and over to fight for it, while if you make new mini missions or HOTA type capture the flag games directly within the region of a deed, and make it where its important to actually defend it or if not it somewhat affects you in some way then you might get some more reasons to get fights. This shouldn't always be about making destruction easy because THAT IS a personal focus vs my suggestion which is to bring in more content to promote fights. 

Where is all this raiding and looting going on since we kicked MRC off the map? I feel like your getting really upset over a non existent issue we even started leaving all the plate and stuff we didn't need behind for people who die recently.

Defending a deed is so easy, you can push of a 15 man force with just 5 easy if your not retarded the defender has all the advantages already I am not sure where your getting all this idea that its harder to destroy than to build its the total opposite actually Rome stopped raiding one of our war deeds for just that reason they would put 10+ hours digging down walls, removing long houses griefing mines.

Guess what? We took our extra supply's that we had stashed around and rebuilt 10 hours of griefing in just 3, than spent another 2 hours adding more obstacles and they just gave up and left after we did that 2 more times of them removing it and up replacing it in no time. 

MRC did the same to us at Bad Move, we spent 20-30+ hours griefing that deed over like 3 days with tons of people came back after a night and it was all rebuilt lol. MR was defending for large parts of it and we exchanged kills on both sides, they got an artifact from us in the process and in the end we could not push them off when they where defending it so we had to concede it to them for the time. This was them defending with like 5 vs us raiding with like 12+, its kinda hard to level a deed when there is mine hops next to every place we need to be with people popping in and out trying to stop us like people who want to play the game and not sit on a mountain talking about how they only want to help the game by making everyone turtle in a deed and never come out in a game that was built around deed raiding and looting.

So tell me again how easy it is to level a deed, because I've been apart of multiple deed disbanding raids to take control of enemy wardeeds/land how about you Maurizio and it takes dozens of hours with no enemy defending.

• Like 1

Also, Dark, remember BM didn't have many templars to stop your progress.. Imagine raiding a capital with 20-50 spirit templars, your progress would be ALOT slower. I think mister ebo-deed sitter needs to go raid in 2k17 and not think back to how it was in 2k10 or something

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 1

Also, Dark, remember BM didn't have many templars to stop your progress.. Imagine raiding a capital with 20-50 spirit templars, your progress would be ALOT slower. I think mister ebo-deed sitter needs to go raid in 2k17 and not think back to how it was in 2k10 or something

Oh I remember the like 3 they had, every 10 mins you stop work for like 2-3 mins because you get messages that the guard is watching you till the Templar run out to some one and they kill it this is with 3 Templar and 12 people raiding don't get me started on the 20+ wave Templar spawns capitols can have we flat up left ebos deed when trying to skirmish with them one day because we would spend 2 mins fighting with them and 6 mins fighting Templar backed off and the spawns are on a static respawn cycle so the 1 min it takes them to run to us on huge deeds like ebos capitol, and the 5 mins it takes for us to kill 20 templars all count to the respawn timer, so like 2 mins after we kill them they are respawning already.

20-50 spirit templars

Chaos isn't capped at 20?  I could swear Epic was capped at 20 but who knows

guess it more belongs in suggestions but make guards the same price everywhere so die-to-troll guards don't cost 3s on epic, and cap the total allowed at 10 everywhere.  probably wont affect anyone on epic and barely anyone on chaos, but i'll be content with my 1 guard that doesn't cost 3s a month ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Chaos isn't capped at 20?  I could swear Epic was capped at 20 but who knows

guess it more belongs in suggestions but make guards the same price everywhere so die-to-troll guards don't cost 3s on epic, and cap the total allowed at 10 everywhere.  probably wont affect anyone on epic and barely anyone on chaos, but i'll be content with my 1 guard that doesn't cost 3s a month ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Defiantly not capped on chaos like it is on epic it feels bad man. I think gratsalot capitol has 50? It was crashing people there was so many.

8ab5c0421db61be56545ae27cbf5316b.jpg

Those where just the like 18 following 1 guy

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 1

Code time, couldn't help my self seems 20 cap on epic and challenge and 50 on freedom and chaos with the limiting factor being diameterx * diametery / 49 to find the max upto 50 you could hire due to your size.

maxGuards = (Servers.localServer.isChallengeOrEpicServer() ? 20 : 50);

public static final int getMaxGuards(final int diameterX, final int diameterY) {
    return Math.min(GuardPlan.maxGuards, Math.max(3, diameterX * diameterY / 49));
}

Sign in to follow this