Sign in to follow this  
Yiraia

How Long Furnaces Last

"The fire burns steadily and will still burn for a long time."

These messages are very vague, a fire could stay at this stage for 20 mins and then suddenly go through the other messages very quickly and its a matter of time till you see your tools are hot and you have to add more fuel. Rather than a message saying "this is probably gonna last a long time, idk how long", have a message saying "This fire should last about # mins". This could be exact.

Sidenote: If you like this idea but seems too easy, I also like the idea of having it so you can tell how long it will last based on firemaking skill. 0-20 giving the default message we have. 20-30 giving us estimates by 5 mins (about 5/10/15/20/25mins), and then 30-40 precision by minutes, and 40+ down to exact seconds.

• Like 19

i like the idea of firemaking skill having an effect on seeing how long it will last ;P that would be really nice

• Like 2

I like the fire making skill idea too!

Kind of like ore quality/quantity was added to prospecting.

Another thing would be an advanced fire-making skill.  To place wooden objects within furnaces, kilns, campfires and maybe ovens and "pull ash" with a poker or shovel.  Make it require like 30 or 40 skill to start.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Tallios said:

Another thing would be an advanced fire-making skill.  To place wooden objects within furnaces, kilns, campfires and maybe ovens and "pull ash" with a poker or shovel.  Make it require like 30 or 40 skill to start.

thats a lot better than what i was thinking... for high fire-making skill.. I wanted the ability to burn wooden/timber/rope stuff to the ground with a torch and a long timer...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

thats a lot better than what i was thinking... for high fire-making skill.. I wanted the ability to burn wooden/timber/rope stuff to the ground with a torch and a long timer...

glad I could make a good suggestion.   I would add that the quality of ash pulled off the burning items should be based on skill and quality of the item as it burns.... thus it would almost be a mini-game that requires skill and a touch of finesse.

• Like 1

+1 to more details and... 

PvP'ers torching each other's long houses based on skill? (.. and Freedom mayors clearing old fences on perimeter?)

Stone houses can still be weakened as the timbers would catch fire eh :3

Maybe some firemaking-based tar and booze mixtures catapult munitions/arrow tips?

Maybe I just want to watch the world burn, maybe it's Maybelline.

• Like 2

Last mentioned in late December 2016, Really wish this was a feature. It sucks seeing that my furnace will burn for a long time for the majority of my furnace being on, and then quickly go through several small stages like "fade" "hot coals" "unburnt materials". Real numbers with accuracy based on Firemaking skill would be nice

Bump

I like this idea, would be nice for stills too.

Bumpity bump, My forges seem to last so long when i leave them, but seem so short when im working in them. I wanna see it!

Come up with a better way to grind firemaking around this if it gets implemented.. afaik atm there's only CoC flint&steel + lighting things up... or making torches

both are ... :wacko: to grind that way

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Finnn said:

Come up with a better way to grind firemaking around this if it gets implemented.. afaik atm there's only CoC flint&steel + lighting things up... or making torches

both are ... :wacko: to grind that way

Speaking of, i always believed coal making should be a subskill of firemaking. But the way to grind firemaking isn't that bad. Just like lock smithing

• Like 1

i like those ideas. would bring in a new breath of life into a skill. +1

and perhaps could also say how much more we can add in a forge/ oven before its full and fuel is wasted? "it appears the fuel compartiment is almost empty / nicely filled/ competely full and anything else added would be wasted as it falls out" ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekib said:

i like those ideas. would bring in a new breath of life into a skill. +1

and perhaps could also say how much more we can add in a forge/ oven before its full and fuel is wasted? "it appears the fuel compartiment is almost empty / nicely filled/ competely full and anything else added would be wasted as it falls out" ?

Yass, I just shove in like 13 or 12 woodscraps everytime

Bump, turned on my smelter and not sure when to refuel it so I gotta keep checking over.. and over.. and over. for the love of firemaking skill, make it wurk

• Like 1

+1, it goes from "burn steadily" to cold quickly and you never know when...

• Like 2

I suggested something like this years ago, so you get a +1 from me