Sign in to follow this  
Batta

How to start a Local server

I've followed the videos and double-checked my IP address. I'm able to go through all the steps of setting up my own Local server, but then cannot connect. One person suggested it's probably a firewall issue...but I don't really understand what that means, or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

In case I haven't used the correct lingo, what I mean by "my own Local server" is one that I play by myself so I can try out new ideas.

Edited by Batta
clarification
  • Like 1

the Server is Starting up OK right?

If it is it might be a case that your ISP has been Blocking the ports the server use to send info on connections, have u tried direct connecting to your machines IP?

I'm unable to start up my own server at all.  I just get the welcome screen, then a notice to retry in xxx minutes or quit now.

I don't see my new server in the LAN list, so I try connecting by IP address.  But no go.

do you have a "dedicated server" software, which you download from steam, (under the library/tools) menu within steam.

with this you can set it up the way you want, it has an offline and online set up.

you will find the firewall under control panel, system and security, windows firewall, this is for windows 8.

hope this helps.

Yep, 

Firewall = make sure the ports are allowed (in windows, start -> run -> type firewall (then look for windows firewall) - you can disable it temporarily, to check if the issue is firewall related.

I don't use windows/local pc firewalls, as I am behind a NAT and feel fairly safe on my network :)

Then make sure the server (whether by launcher or dedicated) is started and running. (I only know the headless mode, as we run it on unix), but check for some logs, etc.

Also:

Are you running it truly local (on your same, local machine) or local as in, on your local network, on another machine?

Try also Moot's youtube guide, sometimes watching someone go through the steps makes it easier.

Wurm Unlimited Tutorial - Creating A Server and Playing Offline

Moot has a number of tutorials and guides so if this one helps, check out his youtube channel.

Other guides on setting up your own server:

Unfortunately, Wurm Unlimited has probably the WORST design I have seen in any indie game, for just allowing "your average player" to set it up and play. i am not much good at networks. ports, firewalls, or IT stuff, but I like to think I am better familiar with computers than your average joe (jane). Yet getting my small family server going took me two frustrating days, which including needing to set firewall exceptions and access modem/router software to open ports for my kids to play with me. Then Comcast came knocking on my door one day, took my old modem away and replaced it with a new one, and I was back to square one. Threw up my hands, decided I had no interest in repeating all the frustration, and instead joined one of the public megaservers. And I was determined to play since i knew i liked the game. I can only imagine how many people simply had it "recommended," tried it, quit in frustration and got a refund from Steam that same day. My guess is the number is in the thousands. I am sure many people will tell you how easy it is because they know a 7 year old who did it, but it's clearly not that easy for everyone.  Many end up renting a host and paying monthly fees to an outside company simply to play by themselves or with friends. 

My number one christmas wish from the WU dev staff -- please please please look at how OTHER small indie games have successfully done this. No other game is a mess like this one, just to simply play.

And now for the Cooking Update, they decided regular personal servers are more or less on their own with 85% of the recipes simply stripped out, and told they can "mod it back in." How kind.

Sorry as I am sure my surliness abnd ill temper on this has hurt some feelings  and made no friends, but no one seems to listen to polite suggestions.

You have finally made Wurm's wretched UI & "tutorial" system   look marvelous in comparison.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the great help.  I'm printing it off right now so I can make a new attempt.  I have already watched the videos you mentioned, but didn't get the result shown.  I'll keep at it.  Thanks again!

PS - I did NOT have dedicated server software downloaded, assuming this is something that doesn't download automatically when you install Steam or Wurm.  I'll look into that.

Edited by Batta
PS

I didn't have Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server installed!  Yay!  I bet this will fix things...

On 12/19/2016 at 6:39 AM, Marlon said:

Are you running it truly local (on your same, local machine) or local as in, on your local network, on another machine?

I'm not sure...I have my main computer directly connected to my modem, but the laptop I use for WU is connected wirelessly.  Is this what you mean? 

I think he means, are you running the client and server all on the same computer, or on different computers on the same network (or maybe i misunderstood him)

ie, Is the main desktop computer running the server, and the laptop running the client?

You might try running them both on the desktop (my deskyop is 10 years old and did fine so long as I ran smaller sized maps)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

when you run the dedicated server software you will need to start as an online server, I recommend to password it, if that's the case, like brash, mentioned I would run them both on the same device, in this case your laptop so you can run it offline, without getting any "unexpected visitors" lol,

if you need any further help don't be afraid to ask, we all were newbies at one point lol, I refunded the game when I first got it because I couldn't get past the server screen, like you I didn't knoiw about the dedicated server, but I repurchased the game after seeing a mootred vid on youtube, and haven't looked back lol.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll keep at it. It's going to be a happy day in the Batta household when I finally figure this out!  Next step will be (eventually) figuring out how to add mods. But I'll leave that for later!

Obviously your on steam, if you give me your steam name, i will hit you up on steam and go one on one support with youbif you like im pretty tech savvy lol, self taught

5 minutes ago, ozmods said:

Obviously your on steam, if you give me your steam name, i will hit you up on steam and go one on one support with youbif you like im pretty tech savvy lol, self taught

Thanks, I'll definitely let you know if I still need help after trying all of the above. Much appreciated!

that's quite alright, I am here if you need help, with it, these things can be pretty scary when you don't know what your doing lol... i'm only self taught because I have learned through trial and lots of errors, oh and expletives and coffee lol.

Once you load the server software, and you have pressed start server offline. start the game with the 'wurm unlimited.exe from the desktop or your steam library, now assuming your running it offline. You click connect and then another box comes up and press connect to ip. And it should be good to go.

I'm now able to play via LAN, but can't convince it to go live so my friends can join me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Batta said:

I'm now able to play via LAN, but can't convince it to go live so my friends can join me.

More than likely if you have all your Port open and forwarded properly, your ISP may be block one, have they tried to connection via the direct connect option.

On 12/29/2016 at 5:59 PM, bigsteve said:

More than likely if you have all your Port open and forwarded properly, your ISP may be block one, have they tried to connection via the direct connect option.

I'm not sure what the direct connect option is. However, I ended up just giving up and hiring a server host.