Sign in to follow this  
Erlindur

Keep items safe (from me)

Now that we have the secure option on all those items, can we please extend the functionality a bit? I can't remember how many times I've chosen take instead of open or something else in the item menu. No big deal but sometimes we simply take items that we pushed/pulled into position and we have to start all over.

So, we now have secure. Well, when I secure something, I usually do it when the item is in place. So, there is no need for the take option. When the item is secured, simply remove the take option from the menu. Instead add something like the item unlock submenu. Something like <item name>->unsecure or unplant or a more appropriate word. Taking it will become a two action procedure, so no accidental furniture rearrangement from now on.

What do you think?

• Like 7

yish yish yish, obvious +1 from me since i do tend to pick the items instead of opening them or whatever i want to do with them. Which is even more annoying when said items are full and you have the strength to lift them.

I always pick them up then spend time positioning. Sometimes it is a lag click or the menu options 'change position" as I am moving closer (suddenly the third option down becomes the fourth option or something something something.)

Option: Fasten

Only available after securing with pliers activated. Prevents taking, moving, or rotating the item.

Option: Unfasten.

Only available when pliers are activated.

• Like 2

+1

It seems logical that securing something would keep it from moving.

In the meantime, I mapped take as Q, drop as Z, open as F and close as Shift-F.

Don't remember the last time I took something by mistake, so maybe that might help a little.

• Like 1

I would like this, but please make the "unfasten" a timed action..... the whole point of this is that this ###### is instant, and gives us no time to correct a mistake.

I don't think unfasten needs to be timed. It simply "enables" moving. Moving is already timed.

I like this idea though. The worst is when I make dye, and i have carefully placed jars all over the place(because I can't put them on a table, I like working on the floor), then accidentally something else comes into the picture and turns it into a Pile Of Items :(

Edited by Marlon

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, Erlindur said:

Now that we have the secure option on all those items, can we please extend the functionality a bit? I can't remember how many times I've chosen take instead of open or something else in the item menu.

I will give you a tip that can help. In settings there is an option to remove *Take* (and other actions) from that menu that opens up when you click on something like that. Then you can make a keybind for *Take*, which helps in picking up multiple things anyway.

I have even removed *Examine* and some other things from that menu as well and replaced them with other keybinds. Keeps down the long list of clutter there for actions commonly used that keybinds work well for instead.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

I will give you a tip that can help. In settings there is an option to remove *Take* (and other actions) from that menu that opens up when you click on something like that. Then you can make a keybind for *Take*, which helps in picking up multiple things anyway.

I have even removed *Examine* and some other things from that menu as well and replaced them with other keybinds. Keeps down the long list of clutter there for actions commonly used that keybinds work well for instead.

=Ayes=

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I may try it but on first thought though, I'm not too sure about it. You see, after a year or so in the game, I still feel like a newbie. That menu is the way I interact with new stuff. You right click on an item and see what you are allowed to do. I'm still finding new things and I will not feel comfortable to disable it just yet. Plus after many years of using a keyboard, my left hand is a bit sensitive and I prefer not to overwork it with lots of bindings.  Maybe I'll try your tip in a year or so. And if a flag check before a menu add is too much of work, I can live with with rearranging furniture all that time.

Edit: Of course the fasten/unfasten option has a more complete feel to it and it could work even with items that are not secure-able so it would be a better overall solution. It just needs more dev time

Edited by Erlindur
  • Like 2

+1,  While i already use Ayes suggestion it does still happen as i have meant to cast a spell but accidentally hit the take button instead because there are soooo many things to bind.

I would love to be able to permanently plant things, along the same lines as wanting my purely decorative gates/portcullises to not open every time i get near them i.e. permanently shut

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Erlindur said:

Maybe I'll try your tip in a year or so.

Yes, yes of course. No need to rush into these things and make rash decisions regrettable a year or two later. Careful deliberation is always the best approach, I find. Unless I am lost. Then what? The yellow brick road always awaits to follow, in these instances.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

14 hours ago, Tallios said:

I would like this, but please make the "unfasten" a timed action..... the whole point of this is that this ###### is instant, and gives us no time to correct a mistake.

Well, the point of requiring a rarely used tool is that you are highly unlikely to do it by accident.

4 hours ago, Ayes said:

Yes, yes of course. No need to rush into these things and make rash decisions regrettable a year or two later. Careful deliberation is always the best approach, I find. Unless I am lost. Then what? The yellow brick road always awaits to follow, in these instances.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

I don't get this mentality. You had to make that comment?

So, it's my way or the highway, isn't it? Well, your way isn't good enough for me. I have a minor but chronic problem with my left hand, after decades of computer use. I cannot avoid being in front of a keyboard all day for work. When I log to play, I just try to avoid tiring that hand. Even the movement keys strain it. If I spam the few keybinds I've set for 5-10 mins, it starts to pain. So no, your way isn't good enough as long as I still explore the game mechanics. Spamming right mouse clicks with my good hand is my way. The alternative, doctor's orders, is to avoid playing.

You've made a very nice comment. I've learned something I didn't know, I've liked it and I appreciated it in a post. On the other hand, I simply suggested a way to avoid a minor problem for players that don't play the way you do. Is there a reason for the quoted post?

I don't know but when you start to see everybody else like a snowflake, sometimes the real snowflake is you.

For me the issue of take comes more when I am imping things in a pile/wagon/forge.

Do they really have to be next to each other in the menu?

I also have issues with my hands and try to avoid to many key binds.

I've been setting up a horticultural building on my deed, with a lot of painstaking PUSH_GENTLY actions involved. I live in minor but persistent fear that I'm going to misclick with a keybind or menu command, and either take, push/pull, or otherwise goof up something meticulously placed at some point in the past.

+1 to some option to further secure planted items, in a way that requires an explicit 5 or 10 second "unfasten" command in order to take or move in any manner.

22 hours ago, Erlindur said:

I don't get this mentality. You had to make that comment?

Sorry to read that you took my *mild* jest in an offensive manner.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:16 AM, Erlindur said:

Maybe I'll try your tip in a year or so.

It's just that your comment here I found to be so amusing that I did a takeoff on it. Of course everyone has a difference sense of humor but I still chuckle when I read your above statement. Really, no offense intended but then again I won't retract my comments either. Well, maybe in a year or so. Just have to wait and see.

=Ayes=

11 hours ago, Ayes said:

Sorry to read that you took my *mild* jest in an offensive manner.

It's just that your comment here I found to be so amusing that I did a takeoff on it. Of course everyone has a difference sense of humor but I still chuckle when I read your above statement. Really, no offense intended but then again I won't retract my comments either. Well, maybe in a year or so. Just have to wait and see.

=Ayes=

OK, I'll think about it for a couple of years and let you know if everything is all right. :P

• Like 1