Sign in to follow this  
Clasin

Become The Environmental Hero!

Become The Environmental Hero!

Mother Nature helps us by giving wood, ores, food and home. But how can we help her?  Answer is easy; by destroying unwanted tiles!

Look at that amount of unwanted tiles disfiguring our beautiful lands

http://maps.mvcomputing.co.uk/Deliverance/

We have to get rid of them! 

What we have to destroy: 

*Slabs

*Plank floors

*All kinds of cobblestone

*Packed dirt

Rules:

*Take screenshot of area before and after

*Count how many tiles you destroyed and post it here.

*Be honest

*Don't destroy highways or used roads(if you're not 100% sure that roads is unused, leave it alone)

*Make sure that area is abandoned

*Make sure it isn't historical place

*Remember to pray to retrive eventual faith losses 

List of Deliverance Ecologists:

The Environmental Hero! 1000 tiles+

-Stevelee 1706

Nature Lover 500 tiles+

Ecologist 200 tiles+

Koroth 350+

Little Ecologist 50 tiles+

- Clasin 87 tiles

-Bakeruss 153 tiles

-Fescue 103 tiles

List will be updated up to date

Edited by Clasin
  • Like 14

43 tiles

2RlJTUl.jpg

u1wRW25.jpg

37 tiles

BUqEOaP.jpg

AGODq5y.jpg

7 tiles

b46GsuS.jpg

dS3SW7W.jpg

Edited by Clasin

127 tiles 

Before:

Spoiler

bV8UeIG.jpg

qXRgxaP.jpg

G31wOch.jpg

After:

Spoiler

i2mJuyN.jpg

gWm0W5j.jpgvG2Nqt8.jpg

48 tiles

Before:

Spoiler

3iK6HCS.jpgzrCUtWI.jpg

After:

Spoiler

T1uHfsT.jpgBlDUZxD.jpg

• Like 1

lol love this idea. Might have to go dragon hunting and tile destroying :)

I'm all about restoring nature on Deli, but have my deed to work on first. will take it into account when I go out hunting on occasion.

• Like 1

I would go even further - make abandoned flat areas uneven and natural again ;)

• Like 2

A good idea. I know Deli is infested with abandoned road sections and big paved areas.

How do you know if the road is used or not?  I get taking out the pavement from long abandoned deeds, but please leave roads out of this.  I spend a lot of time traveling the back roads of Deli.

P.S. I think you should award bonus points for eradicating all off deed hedges.  ;)

A nice idea but yea don't destroy functional backwoods roads. It is not too hard to tell whether to destroy some roads when they just dead end but if they are interconnected within some area they should be left alone. Then there is the big difference when they are just pavement sections where deeds once were. Again not too hard to figure that out.

Same with off deed hedges. I have planted a lot of those around my area but they are alongside roads and keep the mobs from wandering down the mountain or other areas onto them and harassing passers by. Yea, there are some random ones planted by people that serve no purpose such as that and could be removed.

The title of this post though brought to mind more the Rift destruction of forested areas, flattened land and roads. Repairing and replanting those messes would be more in line with an "Environmental Hero" in my view. This is now a seemingly never ending pattern of destruction that will eventually make all the servers seem as if some plague is intent on destroying any natural or improved beauty they possess. You could spend all your in game time going around repairing these areas and doing nothing else. Tragic really, this wanton destruction.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Nm the counting, I'm restoring where I see the need :)

(The main reason why I have so many big deeds is that I am a nature hugger)

• Like 3

In my understanding unused roads are those not connecting highways or inhabited areas. If somewhere was deed, there was probably short road leading to it. Destroying hedges and big flat areas could discourage ppl as it takes alot of time. 
The purpose of counting is intended to encourage Wurmians to take part in fun :)

//Added correction to rules ,,If you're not 100% sure that road is unused, leave it alone" 

Edited by Clasin
  • Like 1

I sort of agree with ayes here...... feels like a waste of time...... those slabs arent hurting anyone, snd in all honesty when i was a noob those kind of places would have encouraged me to settle there, or maybe nearby ("ooooh look, its all flat and paved already, that looks safe")  dont let me discourage you though, its not my island :P

Tbh, I've been doing this for years in my alliance's area. Whenever a deed disbands due to players leaving us (as many did during the last 3 years, unfortunately) I usually make every effort necessary to restore the natural landscape. I try to restore natural slopes and remove all signs of human interference, which involves removing pavement and ugly dirt walls.

I usually do not destroy any roads, though.

• Like 6

*agrees with Yaga*

Since few players settle around my immediate area I also keep an eye out for any pavements or deforested areas that they leave behind. Then after they depart to greener(?) pastures I restore them to their previous state. So all in all this is a good thread to encourage players to do and exhibit the same concern for their own Local areas. Only takes a few in those areas to keep them in harmony with the natural beauty that these lands all possess.

Rifts though, too much repeated damage to devote all that time continually to repair. Not unless they are adjacent to my deeds will I do much about the destruction/deforestation that they create.

=Ayes=

i'm going to have a go at re-nature-fying bachus vineyard and maybe sloppy hollow, least till the snow falls.
thanks for the inspiration ;)

edit ;
250+ so far. (if you don't care about your faith points, this gives pretty good digging skill, along with the inevitable cultivating)
having a break, I'll update in a few days time :ph34r:

Spoiler

ISgp9g0.jpg

A poor preview of actual work involved;

Before:

vpQXloM.jpg

After;
ZOlx8ga.jpg

Before;

5gC59fJ.jpg
After;
Sx4LRWc.jpg

edit; done more work around north mystic lake, will update in a week.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

I still have some decayed deeds close to my place which i still need to clean up. Haven't gotten a chance to work on it yet i'l probably just post here once i get the chance for it or more probably once i am done with restoring nature.

love the idea, will work on that too, but i will not touch existing roads.

• Like 2

another 300 tiles done, the following area is completed (north mystic lake)
RHvs275.jpg
there was alot to do following the fall of sloppy hollow although about 30% has been untouched because of Vagabonds Rest.
i took no screenshots, woulda had to take too many but it's easy to check and will definately be apparent on the next map dump.
In total, bachus vineyard and sloppy hollow have been cleaned up. throughway roads and highways untouched.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

there's two 2-tile wide highways at north west mystic lake, just past ruffus hut, heading west.
they go up for about 15 tiles then just stop in the middle of the rough.
all these years ive passed them assuming they went somewhere. 
I'll be focusing my efforts around north mystic lake when the mood takes me.

I'll use a word processor and the log file to count the tiles i get done. 
have removed a couple of spiderweb paths and paved plateaus already, also reconnected part of the shore-road that had a joint missing. 
I wonder when the next map dump might be.

EDIT: updating through private message from now on, i don't want to spam the thread with my presence

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

I can see the idea of hedges controlling mobs, but I can remember popping into Xan up somewhere near Glasshollow (I think) and it was nearly impossible to get there because some had walled it off with hedges for hundreds of tiles.  Every time I thought I had a way through, it would dead end and I would have to go back... I tend to dislike hedges for the same reason I dislike tall stone walls... they block the views.