Sign in to follow this  
Sila

Chinese language wurm translate

i think what we can do about low numbers of online ppl every night... and i found it!   lets translate wurm into Chinese language, or atlast give option for multi language,   i throw my supreme trowel in wall if that will not works and bring more ppl here...

i m sure we will get 10.000 online ppl every day.+

• Like 1

Great idea, not just Chinese, any language, I'm sure the players would be more than happy to help with the translations, I know I would like to help with that too if I had the chance.

Here are languages and the populations that speak them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

So Mandarin(largest Chinese  language), Spanish,  Arabic, Portuguese, Russian  and Japanese should be a priority.

(Hindi, Bengali and  Punjabi mostly  speak English as a second  language, most Germans speak English too)

Edited by Tovarishtito

if we could export  english txt out of wurm, we could translate everything and put it back for public

Ideally:

Translations? oh yea, lets have 2 billion gold spammers and kids in trade chat and tons of people talking in global in their own language....

Realisticly:

Lots of effort and minimal new customers.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 3

It wouldn't hurt to have the wiki in other languages, or have a forum section for people looking for those who speak their language. I've run into a number of people who speak only or mostly French and Polish as well. 

10,000 non English speaking players in wurm though... that sounds like a lot of misunderstandings

Although Spanish and Portuguese would probably be a better option.

Edited

Edited by Legios

Wonder if maybe this is a great project for Wurm Unlimited.

• Easier to crowd source the effort for any language.
  • Able to create servers that are language specific, or international melting pot, according to preference.
  • No subscription money, but still money in the grander scheme of things.

Doesn't solve low population number in WO if that's the goal though.  Low pop isn't bothering me but OP mentioned that was a reason for doing it.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2016 at 8:47 PM, Tovarishtito said:

Great idea, not just Chinese, any language, I'm sure the players would be more than happy to help with the translations, I know I would like to help with that too if I had the chance.

Here are languages and the populations that speak them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

So Mandarin(largest Chinese  language), Spanish,  Arabic, Portuguese, Russian  and Japanese should be a priority.

(Hindi, Bengali and  Punjabi mostly  speak English as a second  language, most Germans speak English too)

javanese is number 12 :D

its my daily language :P 

On 20-12-2016 at 7:05 PM, Legios said:

10,000 non English speaking players in wurm though... that sounds like a lot of misunderstandings at least for NA servers imo

U know this game is Swedish and not american right?

• Like 2

On 12/22/2016 at 9:13 AM, LorenaMontana said:

U know this game is Swedish and not american right?

I did not, but what does does a country of origin have to do with the language? The game does not seem to have any other option of language as far as I could tell, so the game was made intentionally in English; although I was trying to say servers in general since I'm unaware of where they are located.

Also I noticed you capitalized Swedish but not American, I'm going to guess you took offense to my comment, I apologize if it bothered you.

Edited

Edited by Legios

3 hours ago, Legios said:

I did not, but what does does a country of origin have to do with the language? The game does not seem to have any other option of language as far as I could tell, so the game was made intentionally in English. NA does mean North America; although I was trying to say servers in general since I'm unaware of where they are located.

Okay buddy, english servers does not mean north american servers.

Assuming that all servers utilising the english language are naturally north american is stupid at best.

You americans are a colonial region of the brittish empire that got their independance. There is plenty of other places in the world where people speak english.

Not to mention most games use english as a base language for their games irregardless of server location.

• Like 2

Want no trees, ores, dragons, access to parts of your server, items and gold sales to crash ?

Because this is how you get that.

MR was easy to deal with compared to the shadow that would come.

Edited by paulski

3 hours ago, Zekezor said:

Okay buddy, english servers does not mean north american servers.

Assuming that all servers utilising the english language are naturally north american is stupid at best.

You americans are a colonial region of the brittish empire that got their independance. There is plenty of other places in the world where people speak english.

Not to mention most games use english as a base language for their games irregardless of server location.

In my comment I cleared up what I meant to say, so I don't understand what you're going at.

My comment was about your first comment, Translation would create constant gold seller spam and foreign languages in public chats making it incredibly hard and annoying for does who do not understand.

Edited by Legios

well it could be translated in slovenian language as no.2 :D 

for me

• Like 1

I think it is a great idea to translate wurm to Chinese; however, I am not a fan of machine translation. It is better to have a professional translation to make user experience better. For example, translate shark is really great. I have ordered a translation a few times from this service for my blog and was satisfied.

Edited by Rachu

On 12/18/2016 at 5:15 PM, Zekezor said:

Ideally:

Translations? oh yea, lets have 2 billion gold spammers and kids in trade chat and tons of people talking in global in their own language....

Realisticly:

Lots of effort and minimal new customers.

I usually don't like agreeing with this guy ^

But this time I have to.

Also: while I am very much pro translate, there's two issues that go with it:

1. it's really not a bad idea learning english a little

2. all chat and local will be flooded with people who simply will not speak english. In games where that has happened before, it started sucking quickly.

But if they go ahead and do this, i won't mind contributing for home language.

• Like 1

I lived in Hong Kong for 6 years and have known many Chinese people since leaving. 
Coulda learnt Mandarin at school but stupidly chose History and got an F. (i chose a topic we hadn't studied because i didn't care about the Russian Revolution)
From experience, I think only the Japanese are more keen to learn English.

Some might consider it strange that the cultures that are most driven to learn the language are the ones that don't even use the same alphabet as us. 
I enjoy speaking to people who don't know English very well.
you boil your comms down to logic words and simple associations. there's a pleasure in that. in `keeping things simple`
The only Far Eastern i've met in this game was SiGhx and i haven't seen him for a while. 
i've already +1'd this topic. 

Edited by Steveleeb
typo

On 7. 1. 2017 at 9:22 AM, Marlon said:

I usually don't like agreeing with this guy ^

But this time I have to.

Also: while I am very much pro translate, there's two issues that go with it:

1. it's really not a bad idea learning english a little

2. all chat and local will be flooded with people who simply will not speak english. In games where that has happened before, it started sucking quickly.

But if they go ahead and do this, i won't mind contributing for home language.

I don't agree with the guy in this case, but idk about usually :) And your 2 arguments made me comment,  I just  had  to.  

1. Whole world is  learning English, a lot, and I would really like to see British/American people  learning other languages "a little" :D , or at least tolerating them. 

2.  Started sucking? Why, cause you didn't understand  them? So what, you just don't, why is that a problem? They still have to learn English to communicate with most people, but they could at least talk to other ppl  from their country and play the game at least.

And Zekezor:

- I think it's minimal  effort (volunteers would translate) for maximum effect (many people would love Wurm, but they never even heard about it).

- Kids don't play Wurm, it's too demanding for most kids.

- Foreign languages wouldn't hurt global chat as far as I'm concerned  (don't worry, English would still dominate there, cause the British and Americans usually don't speak other languages, so everyone would slowly adopt)

On 11. 1. 2017 at 11:46 AM, Steveleeb said:

I lived in Hong Kong for 6 years and have known many Chinese people since leaving. 
Coulda learnt Mandarin at school but stupidly chose History and got an F. (i chose a topic we hadn't studied because i didn't care about the Russian Revolution)
From experience, I think only the Japanese are more keen to learn English.

Some might consider it strange that the cultures that are most driven to learn the language are the ones that don't even use the same alphabet as us. 
I enjoy speaking to people who don't know English very well.
you boil your comms down to logic words and simple associations. there's a pleasure in that. in `keeping things simple`
The only Far Eastern i've met in this game was SiGhx and i haven't seen him for a while. 
i've already +1'd this topic. 

You lived in Hong Kong, not a very good example for China as a whole, Hong Kong was a British colony, of corse they are keen to learn English.  Everywhere except Hong Kong is another story though, people usually don't speak English in Beijing for example, so I'm sure such translation would make a huge difference.  Another question is, how many people can the servers even support? That's another subject, but I guess, not that many.

-1, all the Wurm's population must speak English, unless separated in different server clusters.

Edited by zigozag

I think the only concern about multiple languages in global would be from a moderation point of view.  Even separated in different clusters, you would still need moderators for every language which I'd imagine is logistically more difficult than focusing on a single language.

Cool with me if they want to make that Swedish.  ^_^ What better motivation to learn.

Had a Prof who specialized in Viking Sagas tell me Icelandic was probably the closest language to what they would have spoken in the 900's-ish.  I've also read that Sami (which I think is a language local to Lappland cultures?) would be even closer... and hence imho even more authentic.:ph34r:

Still think Wurm Unlimited is ultimately a more suitable platform, realistically.  Not at all because of any xenophobic tendencies, but simply for logistical reasons.

Come to think of it, if translation flushes out the xenophobes, that's reason enough to do it. :lol:

• Like 1

Translating the game into Mandarin Chinese is a great idea and I am sure that would attract a huge number of new players, as we can see with the "Clash of Clans" and "League of Legends" - and in-game communication could be another issue then. Separation of servers by languages?

But in case the Chinese translation will finally be in demand, a handy team of CN translators will be on stand-by. :) 

Edited by wurmone

That would all be fine and dandy but iirc from another post on simmilar topic i don't think Wurm even has support for multilanguages as lot of strings are hardcoded in code so there isnt "wurm.txt" to be exported for volunteers to begin with. It's a lot of work imo. And there is also issue of communicating with new players that don't speak english at all, this is mmo after all.