Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Enchanted Grass that won't pack

Title covers it.

Anyone working on this by chance?  I'm currently planning on using one of the crop mods that prevent crops from turning to weeds, which should do the trick, but I love me some lovely green enchanted grass and crops aren't so good under a roof.

Are there any other potential features related to enchanted tiles we could add to this? We can't really add more enchanted tile types because there is basicly a hard cap in the code's data storage architecture blocking us.

1. Enchanted trees that don't age beyond very old, sprouting.

2. One can pick sprouts from enchanted trees.

3. Maybe increase the likelihood that a tree with jump from very old to very old, sprouting. This would let users harvest sprouts faster.

3. Increase the harvested yield.

4. Maybe harvest grass from enchanted grass tiles, I'm not sure if this is possible to add it. and increase the rate which it grows.

5. Flowers on enchanted grass tiles (assuming it possible to get them on the tile) are more likely to spread to surrounding tiles.

6. Last but not least, is to add substitute ways to make these tiles that aren't restricted to meditation.

Man, all of that sounds great.  Can new spells be created?  Always seemed like Enchant Grass was an ideal Fo spell.

I would say for grass harvesting, you would get higher QL grass from enchanted and the "cut short" phase would end quickly.

For spawning flowers, higher chance of getting rare flowers?  I never used the flower spawner when I started my server and as a result, it was 3 weeks or so, before any flowers started showing up.  So far, after picking a few hundred flowers and roaming most of my islands, I've yet to see a single white dotted.

Speaking of flowers, I've always wondered why you can't pick seeds from flowers and thus plant more than a 1-1 ratio.  Or at least get more than one "flowers" per tile when picking.

Enchanted trees and bushes could produce more harvest and/or higher QL harvest?  I love the sprouting idea.  I always plant tree farms, just for sprouting purposes.

Another idea would be cool-downs on enchanting, but that (along with adding a Fo spell) are probably more complex additions?  The cool-downs for med abilities would probably better be served up in a med overhaul (my wish list for all med abilities bundled into one, like the spell mod).

The road block with spells is the SpellEffect.class. There is only a Byte sized variable for holding the effect identifier. I'm not sure if the negative side of that byte can be used or exactly how many effects are already employed as some are reused so we can just count spells. Anyway a byte is 255 uniques or 128 if for some reason only positive numbers work. There just isn't a lot of room to add new effects.

I'd have to see exactly how enchanted tiles are made. It could be as simple as FO priest blessing a tile.

I favor ways that don't involve: kill monsters (requiring mats gained from killing them), meditations abilities, or priest spell. I'd go for say strawberry juice used on tree sprouts to make transmutation fluid (unlike WO it would not require blessing). Then the fluid can be used on tree tiles to enchant them. Same thing for bushes and grass except it would be bush sprouts and mixed grass, retrospectively.

Picking seeds from flower should be possible. But growing those seeds is where the problems is. I guess we could imitate what has been done with pottery planters. Farming them is out of question at the moment because additions to farming is getting blocked because of the way data is stored.  This appears to have changed in 1.3 but we don't have the code for that yet. If the farming restrictions have been lifted then we could farm flowers.

Yeah, 1.3 should change a few things.  Looking forward to it with a mixture of dred and anticipation.

Do we really need nerfs to the viability of using enchanted as a grazing food? As far as I can tell packing doesn't happen from movement on this tile. Now for grass, lawn, reed, dirt and Mycelium movement packs it but not enchanted grass.

Every time a grazer eats from a enchanted tile there is chance it packes. Here are the chances for it to pack> 1:20 to check packing every grazing. Enchanted grass as further rolls for packing> 1:80 off-deed, 1:120 deed with bad ratio and 1:240 for deed with good ration.

off-deed (20* 80 is) 1:1600 chance to pack every grazing

on-deed bad ratio 1:2400

on deed good ratio 1: 4800

I'm not sure if these packing chances are here to increase the effort needed to feed animals or to return tiles to a more natural state. I am confident that grass should never pack on a deed with good ratio. I'm not sure if this was created out of necessity or someone's opinion on how things should be. If it's the latter we can definitely remove it all, but it it's the former it would be nice to know what the issues is or was.

Here are some notes I've made about code.

Spoiler

:ENCHANTED TILE CREATION:
new ActionEntry((short)388, "Enchant", "enchanting", Actions.EMPTY_INT_ARRAY)

TileTreeBehaviour.getBehavioursFor() and TileGrassBehaviour.getBehavioursFor() along with logic to verify performer can
enchant adds "Enchant" to the nature sub menu.

TileBehaviour.action() and action #388 calls Terraforming.enchantNature().

:USAGE:
Creature.grazeNonCorrupt() This is where animal grazing can pack an enchanted grass tile.

Zone.createTrack() Every time a creature moves this is called. For grass, lawn, reed, dirt and Mycelium tiles there is a 2%
chance when there are more then 20 tracks on a tile for it to pack.

in WO, I've had my enchanted tiles pack more frequently that I'd like.  My current ratio is good, 1-2 horses per 1x2 enchanted pen and 40 pens.  Only 2 in a pen, when I have a birth.  In those 40 pens, I'll usually have to fix and reenchant a tile every 2-4 weeks.

Okay, taking the 3 weeks...7 days * 3 weeks * 24 hours is 504 hours. 4800 grazes / 504 hours ~ 9.5 grazes per hour. Does that sound about right? A graze every ~6.5 min seems high.

One way to test the packing from movement would be to chase a couple deer or bison around in a smallish pen. Make a couple tiles grass and other enchanted grass.

I suppose the first step here is to release a simple WIP mod that will remove the nerf that packs enchanted grass on deed with a good ratio.

• Like 1

I would love this.  I can't imagine any negative effects to removing the trample/pack completely, on or off deed.  If a settlement is deleted for whatever reason, what's the harm in leaving permanently enchanted tiles, other than letting someone else later on get a bonus for settling there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricowan said:

I would love this.  I can't imagine any negative effects to removing the trample/pack completely, on or off deed.  If a settlement is deleted for whatever reason, what's the harm in leaving permanently enchanted tiles, other than letting someone else later on get a bonus for settling there.

True.  Always felt sad seeing animals die off on a neglected deed, because of over packing.