Sign in to follow this  
Bix

Decrease Lock Picking Timer Cooldown

To like 5 minutes or something.

Get rid of cooldown.

Discuss.

Edited by Bix
  • Like 1

...and then some period of time later, after five minutes seems too long, lets get it shortened again.

• Like 1

Why is there even a cooldown for lockpicking skillgain in the first place? Rather see it removed completely.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Worksock said:

Why is there even a cooldown for lockpicking skillgain in the first place? Rather see it removed completely.

This.

People are already vault shadows etc on both clusters.

The cooldown that seem to have been implemented to slow down progression (yea, there wasnt a CD pre-epic) and to keep "the evil blacklighters from stealing everything" in the early days of epic (there was threads about this where that was the concern raised...) isn't needed.

People are using 90+ ql locks on all clusters and its the norm, thus progression doesn't need to be artifically slowed down.

The effort involved in leveling lockpicking would pretty much remain the same if the cooldown is completely removed and would make it easier for newer players to go raiding.

without high lockpicking a locked ship, cart or chest would stop a raid force in its tracks.

Later on limitations were put in place to prevent multiple people lockpicking the same target at once and therefor all the more reason why i see no reason why the skill should be timelocked.

All it does atm is limit proper use of the skill to older accounts and "the elite" rather than making it a common utility skill in pvp.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

This.

People are already vault shadows etc on both clusters.

The cooldown that seem to have been implemented to slow down progression (yea, there wasnt a CD pre-epic) and to keep "the evil blacklighters from stealing everything" in the early days of epic (there was threads about this where that was the concern raised...) isn't needed.

People are using 90+ ql locks on all clusters and its the norm, thus progression doesn't need to be artifically slowed down.

The effort involved in leveling lockpicking would pretty much remain the same if the cooldown is completely removed and would make it easier for newer players to go raiding.

without high lockpicking a locked ship, cart or chest would stop a raid force in its tracks.

Later on limitations were put in place to prevent multiple people lockpicking the same target at once and therefor all the more reason why i see no reason why the skill should be timelocked.

All it does atm is limit proper use of the skill to older accounts and "the elite" rather than making it a common utility skill in pvp.

+1, Couldn't have said it better TDLR:Current lockpicking good for us existing pvpers, bad for the new guys

Edited by Darklords

If there's anyone to blame for the current skillgain cooldown, its the idiots who exploited and cheated on the old system.

After a few of the more notorious large scale groups were caught, Rolf did a complete overhaul of how lockpicking worked in general, rethought the probability algorithms, and slapped on the skillgain cooldown.

Happened to be in IRC at the time, and ended up volunteering to help a bit with the testing along with a couple other players.

• Like 1

Is there still a cooldown? I only ask because it seems most of my skill gains come just after logging in. Well the first or second attempt at picking a lock.

Seems there is a cooldown. For my level it seems I can get a skill gain of .1 every 10 minutes. It only takes one attempt to pick a lock to get that skill gain. Its important to set in settings the frequency of showing your skill gains to always or 0.1 else you wont see the skill gain. Also skill gain may depend on you current skill, quality of lock pick and quality of lock. Not sure about the last two. In order to pick a lock every 10 minutes I set a timer to beep at 10 minutes and carry a small chest to pick whenever and where ever I happen to be. Experiment and tell me of any updates you have to this.

Edited by lowborn
update timer

complicated. point is mute as your skill grows it becomes more difficult to gain skill growth takes more hits. So what is learned must be relearned and adjusted. Good luck

Edited by lowborn