Sign in to follow this  
Tryfaen

Suggestion: Compasses take damage when they settle

Compasses are probably one of the few player made items that do not take damage from use. As a result the market for compasses is rather stagnant since once one is obtained by a player, it never needs to be replaced (other than when upgraded).

I suggest that compasses should take a minor amount of damage whenever they settle. This would give compasses a lifespan and create a vibrant market with sustainable demand.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Compass

I don't use lanterns because they are one of the few items in the game that take damage passively instead of from active use. Instead of buying high quality lanterns, people make do with what they can improve themselves. What you are suggesting would not create a new market, it would create a new chore.

• Like 6

-1 to damage on settle, +1 to damage over time making it damage on settle is going to cause it to punish you for just stopping where a damage over time gives the same effect without punishing you for how many times you start and stop moving.

Edited by Darklords

OK, sure, I'll +1 this if it no longer requires 8 different skills to make a compass.

Water

Brass Washing Bowl

Needle.

Uses blacksmithing.

Otherwise, the dumbest suggestion of 2016.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Darklords said:

-1 to damage on settle, +1 to damage over time making it damage on settle is going to cause it to punish you for just stopping where a damage over time gives the same effect without punishing you for how many times you start and stop moving.

This is a reasonable suggestion. The idea is to remove their overall permanence to have the more in line with every other item in wurm. The method of implementation of course is up to the devs.

Also, I've been accused of attempting to manipulate the compass market already in global chat. I do not make compasses, nor do I sell them. Please keep your knee jerks and conspiracy theories to yourselves and attempt to be civil. Constructive discourse is welcome.

+1 only if enchants decay at a similar rate to improve the dead enchant market ^_^

Seriously though, no-one is going to pay for a high QL compass if it decays since thats the only reason folks invest in high QL ones; you'd just be shafting priests who can't make em.

Another dumb suggestion with only argument being about "stagnant market". What's more important than market in a sandbox, right? Ah, nothing new really.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1 only if enchants decay at a similar rate to improve the dead enchant market ^_^

Seriously though, no-one is going to pay for a high QL compass if it decays since thats the only reason folks invest in high QL ones; you'd just be shafting priests who can't make em.

Many enchants decay from use on most items allowing for a healthy demand for most enchantments.

I was thinking about a stable decay rate instead of a use based decay. at .01 damage per hour, a compass would last 416 days.

Mend removes 20 damage in echange for 2QL, which would extend the life of a compass by 83 days.

13 minutes ago, Tryfaen said:

Many enchants decay from use on most items allowing for a healthy demand for most enchantments.

I was thinking about a stable decay rate instead of a use based decay. at .01 damage per hour, a compass would last 416 days.

Mend removes 20 damage in echange for 2QL, which would extend the life of a compass by 83 days.

Enchantments currently last years.  The last time my fishing rod was enchanted was over 3 years ago (if that!) and its still at 91 CoC despite heavy use (and being left in an off-deed boat) in that time.

To be quite frank I can't see the value in adding another "I must pay someone to repair this for me" chore, especially since all such requests for magic equality in this matter have been met with utter disregard.

Wrong.  Weapon enchants do not decay as the result of fighting.  They tried to change it, we screamed, they reverted it. 

Pretty sure this suggestion is going nowhere too.

So u want to make money with compasses and we all got to pay?

How about the unique compasses that were prizes from treasure hunts even?

big  -1

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tuga said:

So u want to make money with compasses and we all got to pay?

How about the unique compasses that were prizes from treasure hunts even?

big  -1

I already stated that I have no part in compass production or sales. As for unique compasses from GM events, I'm sure something can be done about them.

Thanks, no. Compasses need a lot of high skills to be made, and like that isn't enough already, there's also the RNG involved which makes them end up lower ql than expected, so making them is always a lottery, not to mention the enchanting lottery, where also RNG is involved, and the chance of damaging or shattering them exists even at high channeling.

If you do have no part in compass production, then you should try make some, see how it goes, then suggest a nerf for them.

Maybe one day, when results will be strictly based on skills ( :P ) and not RNG dependant, it could be discussed again; until then, -1.

• Like 3

How about people just pay what they are worth. Requires imping 2 items to 70+ and after the patch 70 beverages and forestry. Oh and you need 90 digging, blacksmithing, mining, shovel and pickaxes to get a decent success rate. Oh and a priest... And peoples still complain when they cost 3s.

I would laugh maniacally every time I shipped one if they decayed in inventory though, lol.

• Like 1

Should take the item at face value without factoring in Wurm economics.

5 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Enchantments currently last years.  The last time my fishing rod was enchanted was over 3 years ago (if that!) and its still at 91 CoC despite heavy use (and being left in an off-deed boat) in that time.

Meanwhile I burn 10 coc off a rake every time i look at a field :(

• Like 5

Uh NO.. -1 even.

It's bad enough finding a seller for a proper compass to begin with.

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

What on earth are you doing to that rake?

• Like 1

No touchy    we need coc and woa on tools to stay as is too

23 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

To be quite frank I can't see the value in adding another "I must pay someone to repair this for me" chore, especially since all such requests for magic equality in this matter have been met with utter disregard.

I had to switch at least 4 times my carp and 3 times my smithing tools and trust me they lose power if you use them frequently. The proposed idea also punishes you for moving and stopping. I will also agree with Thorgot, I never bought a lantern because of their decay and I don't bother imping mine above 60 even though I can get it to 90. At the moment spending 1+s  on a good compass seems reasonable to me (and I have spent even more in the past). If they were to start taking decay I wouldn't bother buying one even if it was for half the price.

• Like 1

I would be in favor of this ONLY if they can be repaired and improved like all the other items they're being compared to. Enchants can be improved. Swords can be repaired and improved. Tools can be repaired and improved. Lanterns can be repaired and improved.

As should baked pottery now that it takes damage upon using for cooking.

• Like 2

Keep your dirty ###### hands off my compass collection.

Wherea this guy live? Sand. Sand for days.

21 hours ago, Retrograde said:

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

What on earth are you doing to that rake?

That poor, poor rake.

Can imp casts. Yuh. Just pm me. I work weird hours tho.