Sign in to follow this  
Lightonfoot

Help me figure out my first trade

I want to sell a referral and 6 sleeping powder.

Some questions:

1. I know that a player can purchase 30 days premium for 10 silver. But does this also grant them 1 hour sleep bonus?

2. Assuming spending 10 silver grants 30 days, and a referral is otherwise equal, is it fair to price a referral by 20/30 = 0.6666 and 0.6666 * 10 = 6.6666 silver--whilst deducting a small amount to make it worth the buyers effort and also to pay for any extra mailing costs?

3a. Do I need a mailbox to receive the payment? How do I do that?

3b. How much does it cost to use the in-game mailing system? What does COD mean?

4. Is there a anti-scamming policy if a buyer or seller cheats the other?

See, I figure nobody is going to bother purchasing a referral for the same proportional cost they'd spend for 30 days, since it requires a few extra minutes and haggling with the seller, so it makes sense to ask something between 6 and 6.5 silver. However, if paying 10 silver for 30 days doesn't grant 1 hour sleep bonus then that means asking 6.6 silver price for referral is more than fair, since referrals have 1 hour sleep bonus.

And what should the price of a sleeping powder be? I read it's 1 silver, but is that a good price?

Thanks in advance!

My in-game name is Prudis.

Edited by Lightonfoot

The referral will give the person a choice of 3 silver in-game or 20 days premium with 1 sleep powder.

You can send your referral in-game by typing /referral

To get the funds you would usually send any item to the person as COD for the amount and when they accept the mail you will receive the funds, If you send an item in-game COD it will charge him for it, 1c per item sent is normal costs.

There is no anti-scamming policy but best idea is to get the funds first then send referral if are unsure.

And they usually sell for around 6 silver.

Hopefully, answers your questions.

Shakys

Edited by shakys

How do I receive mail and how do I send it?

The wiki says I need to make a spirit container: But it also says it needs to be blessed by a priests of Fo, Nahjo or Libila. How exactly do I do that?

And is sending/receiving instant?

1 hour ago, Lightonfoot said:

How do I receive mail and how do I send it?

The wiki says I need to make a spirit container: But it also says it needs to be blessed by a priests of Fo, Nahjo or Libila. How exactly do I do that?

And is sending/receiving instant?

I think I whispered you in game when I saw you offer to deliver because you had some serious trust issue, I tried to reassure you that nobody would risk getting banned over a referral. I will answer some of those questions you're asking here now.

You can find mailboxes in the starting towns, or in a village if you are part of any.

You walk up to a mail box and right click it, click Open, then drop a random item in there that has no value to you, usually a grass or something simple, then right click the box again and click send, this will bring a box up asking for the person name and if you wish to cod the item, make sure to check the box "C.O.D" and then copy the person name by right clicking their name, and pasting it in the box, and then hit send. This will take you to the next screen, in this screen you will input the amount you wish to get, so put a 6 under the "S" and then click send. Wait for the person to get the mail, when he pays the cod you will get an msg in event tab updating the total amount of money you have in your bank account.

Now to give them the referral, type /refer and hit enter, a box will pop up and ask who do you want to give it to, paste the name of the person in the box and click send/okay and done. 

You say thanks and move on.

As for the sleeping powders those are not mailable so you'd have to trade them in person.

PS: Price, 

Referral  - 6s

Sleeping powder - 1s

Edited by Legios

On 12/16/2016 at 9:06 PM, Legios said:

I think I whispered you in game when I saw you offer to deliver because you had some serious trust issue, I tried to reassure you that nobody would risk getting banned over a referral. I will answer some of those questions you're asking here now.

You can find mailboxes in the starting towns, or in a village if you are part of any.

You walk up to a mail box and right click it, click Open, then drop a random item in there that has no value to you, usually a grass or something simple, then right click the box again and click send, this will bring a box up asking for the person name and if you wish to cod the item, make sure to check the box "C.O.D" and then copy the person name by right clicking their name, and pasting it in the box, and then hit send. This will take you to the next screen, in this screen you will input the amount you wish to get, so put a 6 under the "S" and then click send. Wait for the person to get the mail, when he pays the cod you will get an msg in event tab updating the total amount of money you have in your bank account.

Now to give them the referral, type /refer and hit enter, a box will pop up and ask who do you want to give it to, paste the name of the person in the box and click send/okay and done. 

You say thanks and move on.

As for the sleeping powders those are not mailable so you'd have to trade them in person.

PS: Price, 

Referral  - 6s

Sleeping powder - 1s

This is exactly why Wurm is screaming out for some type of auction house based on major settlements as the hubs that share listings between hubs were players can list offers and other as buyers can purchase.  You'd still have to travel to the major hubs to list, fulfill, deliver and pickup items/services and these hubs would become major centers of commerce.  I'd envision the ability to go to one of these hubs and list your property for sale, services, items for sale or any other thing folks can think of selling in game.

The listing of things in a game chat window completely killed the immersion for me and had me give up on Wurm. I check back every now and then to see if something has been done to improve this.

This is an excellent example of how even long time players such as myself don't fully understand the system.  Never realized when you took the 20 day option you actually got a sleep powder as well.  Just assumed it was an hour on the sleep bonus clock.  Never assume.

As to the OP's point why someone would "overpay" by buying a referral, there are a number of reasons why one may only want to be premium on a second character for only a few days, and buying a referral is a cheap way to do that.  Even cheaper now that I know about the sleep powder.

As for myself, I keep my character funded for a year at a time and that works out to even less cost than buying referrals, but of course no option to take a month break or so and not pay for it.

To answer your question of what COD means, it is "Cash on Delivery".  Receiver has to pay to get the item. 

3 hours ago, balthasar said:

This is exactly why Wurm is screaming out for some type of auction house based on major settlements as the hubs that share listings between hubs were players can list offers and other as buyers can purchase.  You'd still have to travel to the major hubs to list, fulfill, deliver and pickup items/services and these hubs would become major centers of commerce.  I'd envision the ability to go to one of these hubs and list your property for sale, services, items for sale or any other thing folks can think of selling in game.

The listing of things in a game chat window completely killed the immersion for me and had me give up on Wurm. I check back every now and then to see if something has been done to improve this.

I'm well against any type of automation when it comes to business. I feel that it eliminates the the sense of community and immersion in games in general. Wurm is a very community and social based game, and turning the already player made and controlled economy in for an NPC would be disastrous for the rest of the players that still love and enjoy Wurm as it is.

Also being able to post your items up for a set price means that people will have to undercut each other continuously in order to make a sell, right now you just need to wait for that seller to be offline to begin advertising. Although it's convenient, Wurm is not suppose to be a convenience, it's suppose to be an experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legios said:

I'm well against any type of automation when it comes to business. I feel that it eliminates the the sense of community and immersion in games in general. Wurm is a very community and social based game, and turning the already player made and controlled economy in for an NPC would be disastrous for the rest of the players that still love and enjoy Wurm as it is.

Also being able to post your items up for a set price means that people will have to undercut each other continuously in order to make a sell, right now you just need to wait for that seller to be offline to begin advertising. Although it's convenient, Wurm is not suppose to be a convenience, it's suppose to be an experience. 

No NPC's involved.  It's nothing more than a board per say that lets you list what you have for sale and you can see what is for sale.  The channel for listing things that are for sale is a mess.  Competition is what drives any economy and Wurm could certainly use some of that to help the economy feel alive.  

But the old hands are pretty much not going to accept any change to bring in fresh blood to the game.  Eve's economy should be the gold standard folks strive to match.  I tried really for six months and did farming and in the end I felt like I was watching scrolling credits on the screen and gave up.

6 Silver has been the standard rate to sell a Referral for for some time now. As for me, I never have sold them to unknown forum posters without a good reputation since there is little assurance that you will actually get paid because they want to receive it before they send payment.

=Ayes=

22 hours ago, balthasar said:

No NPC's involved.  It's nothing more than a board per say that lets you list what you have for sale and you can see what is for sale.  The channel for listing things that are for sale is a mess.  Competition is what drives any economy and Wurm could certainly use some of that to help the economy feel alive.  

But the old hands are pretty much not going to accept any change to bring in fresh blood to the game.  Eve's economy should be the gold standard folks strive to match.  I tried really for six months and did farming and in the end I felt like I was watching scrolling credits on the screen and gave up.

The way the economy works right now is fine, there is no need for change. If you want to sell then put effort into it, evolve around the market, don't try to evolve the market around you because that will not work for everyone.

2 hours ago, Legios said:

The way the economy works right now is fine, there is no need for change. If you want to sell then put effort into it, evolve around the market, don't try to evolve the market around you because that will not work for everyone.

The economy limps along but I understand some like it that way.  It's just a shame because back in January when I was subscribed the game struggles to get a couple hundred players and this is one of the glaring problems with Wurm.  I'll check back in another six month's and see if there is any difference as it's not worth the pain(effort) in its current form.

6 hours ago, balthasar said:

The economy limps along but I understand some like it that way.  It's just a shame because back in January when I was subscribed the game struggles to get a couple hundred players and this is one of the glaring problems with Wurm.  I'll check back in another six month's and see if there is any difference as it's not worth the pain(effort) in its current form.

Too many people look at this game as some sort of investment instead of what it actually is... a video game, a video game full of amazing people that make it fun to log in. I personally can buy all the silver  and membership I'd ever need from the shop it self. Establishing my own empire or business is not a priority for me. I will admit the few people who are very economy/"Need to pay for membership with silver" kind of people have not been the most fun people to hang around and it saddens me some people forget to have fun like that and just like being under the impression they could make money from the game. 

In the end, to each their own, hopefully you'll play the game for what it's worth now before it's too late :3

• Like 1

7 hours ago, balthasar said:

Have you considered that others that have been here for much (much.... much) longer have grown into the way things work for the reason that they are this way. There was a plan, and it was followed well. In the last few years, there was so much crying, that a lot of "easy buttons" were added, which saw many leaving (thank heavens we could go back to actual wurm with WU). But your post in general, seems like a butt hurt "im not here, but i feel the need to post something"... Let it be. Wurm isn't a 7000 player game, and it would suck if it was.

OP:

Apart from some serious over-complexity and trust problems that you are showing, i think your math is about right :-)

You will learn in time, that there are signs when it comes to tradings, signs that give people's intentions away, and also that you will learn the frequent flyers. It becomes easier, and quicker.

Oh and COD is not a wurm term, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_on_delivery 

I forgot to actually post this post, because that one led me to supply & demand, which was a relevant read for wurmian traders.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2016 at 10:15 PM, GoldFever said:

This is an excellent example of how even long time players such as myself don't fully understand the system.  Never realized when you took the 20 day option you actually got a sleep powder as well.  Just assumed it was an hour on the sleep bonus clock.  Never assume.

As to the OP's point why someone would "overpay" by buying a referral, there are a number of reasons why one may only want to be premium on a second character for only a few days, and buying a referral is a cheap way to do that.  Even cheaper now that I know about the sleep powder.

You don't receive a sleep powder, you receive an hour of SB on the toon that gets the referral, so that's not something that you can resell.

The base price for referrals has always been 6s since it's a good compromise for both buyer and seller, since most will buy a referral without even caring about the SB, or with already 5h SB on the bar.

If you go purely on calculations you can also say that you can sell the 10s, and get 10e (standard market price) for them, that you can use to buy 1 month of prem + 1 silver, so you only pay 9s for the prem for 30 days, so that would make a referral be worth exactly 6s for 20 days...

Edited by faty

On 12/18/2016 at 0:15 PM, GoldFever said:

As for myself, I keep my character funded for a year at a time and that works out to even less cost than buying referrals, but of course no option to take a month break or so and not pay for it.

To answer your question of what COD means, it is "Cash on Delivery".  Receiver has to pay to get the item. 

When using a referral the person doesn't get a sleep powder.  It is 1 hour on your sleep bonus clock.  If yours is full, that hour is lost.

17 hours ago, Marlon said:

Have you considered that others that have been here for much (much.... much) longer have grown into the way things work for the reason that they are this way. There was a plan, and it was followed well. In the last few years, there was so much crying, that a lot of "easy buttons" were added, which saw many leaving (thank heavens we could go back to actual wurm with WU). But your post in general, seems like a butt hurt "im not here, but i feel the need to post something"... Let it be. Wurm isn't a 7000 player game, and it would suck if it was.

It really doesn't bother me one way or another since I no longer have a subscription.  Just trying to relay what had me stop playing since the aspect of the game that I though looked interesting fell way short of my hopes.  Was hoping that the robust crafting would have an in game market/economy that complemented the crafting, but found that not to be that case.

Butt hurt? I assume your in your early 20's.  That said I'll take my leave since it seems the discussion is headed in the wrong now.