header.png

Enki pays a visit

Hi everyone!

Christmas is almost upon us, and I've seen a few Christmas trees floating around already! This week we'll be looking at an in depth interview with Shrimpiie, our Shrimpalong coordinator, but first...

Patch notes:

Spoiler

Patch Notes 15/DEC/16

Changes and Additions:

• Amphora racks and Pottery Planter racks have been added.
  • Applesauce (and other white sauce flagged recipes) are now edible.
  • Picking planted herbs and spices inside a building is now tied to pickup permissions for the structure.
  • Plant/secure options are now available on a number of items as mentioned in the last patch.
  • Removed the chance to create rare liquids via cooking as moving them around causes issues.
  • Removed 100% damage bonus to True Strike hits.
  • You can now load/unload items which are not empty as well as drag them from one vehicle to another as long as they fit.

Epic Changes:

• legendary titles are now available on Epic for those hitting 100 skill.
  • Epic sermons will now reset prayer counter.
  • The one hour cooldown timer has been removed from epic portal usage.
  • Vesseling will now give skill on Epic.

Bug fixes:

• Bugfix: Fix for +10% gathering rune on a pickaxe.
  • Bugfix: Fix for still condenser overfill.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a bug which allowed you to drag crates into inventory.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue where a pottery planter would lose its planted state if planted on the ground empty and a herb or spice was then planted in it.
    If you planted the pottery planter prior to planting a herb or spice inside it, please examine to ensure that it is indeed secured, as they may have become unplanted.
  • Bugfix: Fixed various recipe examine text and information issues.
  • Bugfix: Looting tomes from uniques now follow deed permission settings.
  • Bugfix: Added a check so racks could only hold what they were designed to hold.
  • Bugfix: Affinity message spamming for low quality food consumption has been removed again as it snuck back in.
  • Bugfix: Fix for new picked crops not taking damage on the ground.
  • Bugfix: Fix for not being able to become a champion of a god when your kingdom is favored.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with sealing which caused unintended results.
  • Bugfix: Fixed lore hints for some recipes which were either wrong or too vague.
  • Bugfix: Fog spiders should no longer spawn on deeds.
  • Bugfix: Honey and wax should no longer take decay in wild hives. Honey will only decay if on the ground.
  • Bugfix: Various spelling and text fixes.
  • Bugfix: You can no longer secure barrels while inside racks as it caused them to fall to the ground.
  • Bugfix: You can properly seal (using create – drink menu) a wine barrel while it’s inside a wine rack.
  • Bugfix: Added some items to the decoration list and added a flag for ‘decorations’ which should decay on deed.
    • Tree stumps and corpses will now decay on deeds with over 30 days upkeep.
    • Range poles, the Rod of Eruption, and Wand of the Seas will now be counted as decoation items.
  • Bugfix: Wax sealing kits now damage when unsealed instead of losing quality.
  • Bugfix: Unfinished wine barrels drop to the ground upon creation and must be continued while on the ground.
  • Bugfix: Removed the repeating rarity line in description for forges and ovens.
  • Bugfix: Missions should now respawn on a timely basis.

Client Changes

• Bugfix:  Fixed leading space when renaming pottery planters and trellises.
  • Bugfix:  Fixed the flame size on the brass oil lamp.
  • Bugfix:  Harvest keybind correctly works for tellises now.
  • Pick keybind added for picking potted herbs and spices
  • Tooltip for planted spices and herbs is now visible from a distance. The distance is dependent upon skill.  This is also the same now for harvestable trellises.

Shrimpalong!
The 2016 Christmas Impalong launches this weekend, and our reporter in the field spent some time with Shrimpiie, the organiser to ask a few hard hitting questions:

<Retrograde> *adjusts his microphone and earpiece*

<Retrograde> shrimpiie, time for your interview

<Shrimpiie> oh?

<Retrograde> we're here today with Shrimpiie, Wurms premier crustacean. How are you shrimp?

<Retrograde> Glad to hear

<Retrograde> On with the questions

<Shrimpiie> lol

<Retrograde> What is an impalong?

<Shrimpiie> An event where Wurmians come together to improve and cast on each others gear for free, and generally partake in exciting games for prizes.

<Shrimpiie> Also to get blasted by GM spawns usually as well heh

<Retrograde> and you have built Blackmoor for this specific purpose?

<Shrimpiie> Indeed I have.

<Shrimpiie> I started with the main Impalong structure and planned the deed outwards from there

<Retrograde> And how long has it taken from planning to construction?

<Shrimpiie> I originally made the plans for the deed in December last year, but I planned it with surface mining a huge area, which failed, so I gave up and replanted this deed here in April.

<Shrimpiie> So from April to now really, about 8 months.

<Retrograde> Do you have any events planned?

<Shrimpiie> Plenty! I've got a pure scavenger hunt event where I scatter several keys randomly across the island, and let players try to find them.

<Shrimpiie> The keys go to one of a few prizes like a JK wagon, Knarr, Rare Corbita ect.

<Retrograde> That sounds like fun

<Retrograde> Have you had help in building this project?

<Shrimpiie> I've got a roundup where I drop 100 or so needles in a pen area, and let players try to collect as many as possible without making item piles; I've got an archery contest, a fighting contest, many

<Shrimpiie> other misc. events as well.

<Shrimpiie> I've had an incredible amount of help with this deed, I really couldn't have done it without everyone.

<Shrimpiie> My co-host Theredreaper has dedicated a lot of time to working on the deed, these fellows Abbynormal and Damminson here in local as well.

<Shrimpiie> And many other folks who I have named in my thread(to the best I could recall!)

<Retrograde> And what do you have to say about the accusations of using illegal newbs to build in hazardous environments and situations?

<Shrimpiie> I would say they are entirely accurate and true of course! Building on a deed without guard protection has actually killed many folks trying to help on deed.

<Shrimpiie> many of them unregistered Wurmians.

Tarlcabot leads line of newbs behind the inn…

<Retrograde> what has been the most challenging aspect of building this?

<Shrimpiie> I would say all the planning and logistics really.

<Shrimpiie> I wanted this Impalong to be an accumulation of the knowledge I've gained from attending other Impalongs, I wanted it to have everything thought out.

<Shrimpiie> The logistics was really a mess, as I didn't keep good records of who I ordered what from, so I was getting delivery after delivery and man times I'd forgotten I'd ordered!

<Shrimpiie> It's why I have 6,000 70ql copper >.>

<Retrograde> Not to mention the bribes to the Wurmian Impalong Committee, of course

<Shrimpiie> That was several gold in itself!

<Retrograde> Why did you choose to do this? Many theories have floated around

<Retrograde> From you being Santa himself, to the lucrative under the table merchandise deals

<Shrimpiie> Hahaha

<Shrimpiie> I've attended a great deal of Impalongs, 11 to be exact, and at each I had such an amazing time helping folks, getting to know the community, I felt it was time to try my hand at hosting one.

<Shrimpiie> Felt it was time to really give back for everything that I've gained over the years.

<Shrimpiie> As for under the table merchandise deals, I can say there were many, many high value deals brokered in order to get this thing fleshed out.

<Retrograde> Is there anything you'd like to say to people considering coming?

<Retrograde> or the undecided folks?

<Shrimpiie> Always; it doesn't matter what your skill is in anything, if you have a priest, all are welcome. You don't have to improve if you don't want to, you don't have to play the games(but they are fairly

<Shrimpiie> lucrative in their prizes), you can come just to enjoy the atmosphere.

<Retrograde> What should an attendee bring?

<Shrimpiie> A big thing with Impalongs is you can have even just sub-20 skill and you can still help out; just improve to what you can, and then someone with higher skill takes over from there. This was how it

<Shrimpiie> was put to me for Willow's Last Impalong in 2012, my first one I attended, which made my love for Impalongs.

<Shrimpiie> An attendee should bring themselves! After that really whatever tools they may want improved or casted on, anything special that might've been a gift they wanted imped is always a big one.

<Shrimpiie> For those competing in the Archery tournaments or Fighting tournaments, gear will be provided.

<Shrimpiie> So really just themselves I would say, is the biggest thing to worry about bringing haha

<Retrograde> And last but not least

<Retrograde> There has been concerning reports about the lack of homeless Wurmians in the area, have you deported them all?

<Shrimpiie> I've actually been fairly lucky in being a hermit, here on well, Hermit Island. I do my best to demolish old roads, fencing and items, to keep the island pristine and able to be hunted on easily.

<Shrimpiie> That has been my goal for years, keep the island as well preserved in a natural state as I could, and thankfully lack of deeds has made spawn rates usually very nice.

<Shrimpiie> Though in reality, I simply wizkilled all of the homeless Wurmians and tossed their corpses into the volcano out back to hide the evidence.

<Shrimpiie> Much much easier.

<Retrograde> There’s the confession we want

<Retrograde> So there you have it folks

<Retrograde> Shrimpalong 2016, triumph of goodwill? or a show of corporate greed and noob labour? Only time will tell

<Retrograde> This is Retrograde, on location, signing off

the impalong runs from the 18th of December through to the 1st of January, so make sure you stop by, check it out, and make a seafood joke or two!

Full details about amenities, events and services can be found here:

Rarity and cookers
We initially designed the cooking system to take the rarity of the cookers (forge, oven, campfire) into account when calculating what the affinity would be, this means the same meal cooked in a rare oven will give a different affinity vs one cooked in a normal oven. Some players raised how this can seem a bit backwards, given turning a normal oven rare or better would mean having to start the collection of affinities all over again, or getting rid of it.

We'd like your feedback on this, as to whether you'd like to see rarity affect the affinity, and the system stay as it is, or remove the rarity affecting the outcome. This option would mean that all recipes currently tested using a rare+ cooker would be incorrect, and you would need to start again.  

In both cases, rarity would boost the timer length compared to a non rare cooker.

Read through others opinions and vote in the forum poll here:

Fountain pans Being removed in 4 days
Fountain pans are due to expire just under four days from now, so please make sure that all contents are stored appropriately, when they expire the items will move into the next container they can fit in, if they cannot fit or go over the 100 item count, they will pop out onto the floor.

Racks and racks!
They're updating quicker than I can tease in the news! This week saw the release of the awesome amphorae and planter racks, some of the cooler storage options, as well as allowing the loading of full items and transferring them between containers that can fit them! I got so excited about this i blew up a building in anticipation of a new greenhouse!

Community Content

This weeks content is of course, the impalong! Some beautiful shots of the deed custom designed for the impalong, can't wait to see lots of corpses, i mean, players!

screenshot.png

That's it for this week, enjoy the weekend, and as always, Keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 12

I as a concerned wurmian would like to inquire about the amount of shrimpiie gumbo that has been prepared for the wurmians attending the shrimpalong.

• Like 6

From x to y, does that mean from 18 December to 1 January :P

Also, people, make sure to bring a few newbies from your servers, many can't sail!

For you new people, make a full tool set and come get it improved to around 70 for free!

And for the chefs: maybe bring paper and dye so you can exchange receipts :D

Edited by Cecci

My wife made Shrimpiie Gumbo one night, I woke up to that in the night when she was laughing maniacly while adding more ingredients in it and then resulting with bursting laughter when recipe name was popping up.

Shrimpalong might be as much fun. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Fountain pans Being removed in 4 days
Fountain pans are due to expire just under four days from now, so please make sure that all contents are stored appropriately, when they expire the items will move into the next container they can fit in, if they cannot fit or go over the 100 item count, they will pop out onto the floor.

So no replacement items to exchange the pans for like LMC?  This has been one of the biggest cluster F of wurm and has to be one of the dumbest decisions made by the staff.  Removal of the pans after being allowed for so many years to be freely sold and traded (Bought with silver from the shop which Codeclub profited off of lol) blows my mind.  These type of actions make your consumers weary of putting money into the game.  I know this incident has changed alot of peoples opinion about how stable this games economy really is.  There is still time to fix this and exchange the pans 1:1 for another item.  Its great we have all these storage features now but that did not prevent many people from buying these items that they will not get their return on.  Our investment in your game is literally going to expire and poof due to a poor decision.  

Protip:  People who bought these are people who dump tons of money into your game..  Repeated decisions like this tank businesses.  There is still time

[11:32:39] A black hole with shimmering edges. It is unstable and will disappear in about 3 days, 16 hours and 27 minutes. Ql: 24.7279, Dam: 0.0.

Edited by tgod
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, tgod said:

So no replacement items to exchange the pans for like LMC?  This has been one of the biggest cluster F of wurm and has to be one of the dumbest decisions made by the staff.  Removal of the pans after being allowed for so many years to be freely sold and traded (Bought with silver from the shop which Codeclub profited off of lol) blows my mind.  These type of actions make your consumers weary of putting money into the game.  I know this incident has changed alot of peoples opinion about how stable this games economy really is.  There is still time to fix this and exchange the pans 1:1 for another item.  Its great we have all these storage features now but that did not prevent many people from buying these items that they will not get their return on.  Our investment in your game is literally going to expire and poof due to a poor decision.  

Protip:  People who bought these are people who dump tons of money into your game..  Repeated decisions like this tank businesses.  There is still time

[11:32:39] A black hole with shimmering edges. It is unstable and will disappear in about 3 days, 16 hours and 27 minutes. Ql: 24.7279, Dam: 0.0.

I understand your dilemma and frustration, but I just have to laugh a little bit.  After all, it is because of players who manipulate the market that prices get so ridiculously high in the first place.  If you wheel and deal (read gamble) in Wurm commoddities, don't cry when the house decides to change the rules.  It is the players' fault NOT CODE CLUB that players choose to invest in something and hype the markets for those same items in hopes of making a profit.  I dare say any person who owns one has probably made much more money from other investments to more than pay for these.  Bottom line, CC never asked you to buy them, never established a price for them, never promised to keep them, and never claimed they were eternal.  Look at it another way, rather than banning you for exploiting a bug, they quietly and generously let you have your economical fun, for years...

just saying...

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, tgod said:

I've only played for about a year and I have heard people complaining about this bugged item for the entire time. It is bugged, it was known to be a bug for a while. Whose fault is it when someone buys an item that CC openly has said ( for at least the year I've been playing ) that they are getting rid of?  It was a known bug that they ALLOWED to be exploited after it was discovered. Honestly, once it was listed as a bug, they every right to blanket remove them all but they didn't until they had a replacement. They also made it clear, from what I've seen, that once there were items that could be used to replace the pans ( in spirit, if not exact ) that they would be REMOVED.

Why are you still upset over this? Because you spent real money on something CC had openly said was going to vanish some day? From all the complaining I have seen regarding these, CC should have just made them all poof the day they discovered the bug. At least then this mess would have sorted itself out before I started playing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zethreal said:

I've only played for about a year and I have heard people complaining about this bugged item for the entire time. It is bugged, it was known to be a bug for a while. Whose fault is it when someone buys an item that CC openly has said ( for at least the year I've been playing ) that they are getting rid of?  It was a known bug that they ALLOWED to be exploited after it was discovered. Honestly, once it was listed as a bug, they every right to blanket remove them all but they didn't until they had a replacement. They also made it clear, from what I've seen, that once there were items that could be used to replace the pans ( in spirit, if not exact ) that they would be REMOVED.

Why are you still upset over this? Because you spent real money on something CC had openly said was going to vanish some day? From all the complaining I have seen regarding these, CC should have just made them all poof the day they discovered the bug. At least then this mess would have sorted itself out before I started playing.

Its bull that's why, and its a dumb thing to do to your player base who has spend tons of money buying these items only to have them removed from their graps because one PR guy said it was unintended relayed from the DEVs. These items that have been in the game for years and became known as a intended feature before even Rolf said it was ok.

I'm tired of you players who think taking them away is fine, you're wrong, and you make me so upset! Why even buy legacy items, why buy anything, so many of my friends quit because of these changes. Rip fountain pans, rip nahjo, whats next seriously?

Edited by Niki
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

I understand your dilemma and frustration, but I just have to laugh a little bit.  After all, it is because of players who manipulate the market that prices get so ridiculously high in the first place.  If you wheel and deal (read gamble) in Wurm commoddities, don't cry when the house decides to change the rules.  It is the players' fault NOT CODE CLUB that players choose to invest in something and hype the markets for those same items in hopes of making a profit.  I dare say any person who owns one has probably made much more money from other investments to more than pay for these.  Bottom line, CC never asked you to buy them, never established a price for them, never promised to keep them, and never claimed they were eternal.  Look at it another way, rather than banning you for exploiting a bug, they quietly and generously let you have your economical fun, for years...

just saying...

They let the items remain for 8 YEARS after creating them was fixed and allowed the sale of them on the forums. All silver used to purchase was profited on by code club.

50 minutes ago, zethreal said:

The 8 years before you played they were allowed and at some point staff said they would remain.  Only in the last year has this been hyped up for removal due to someone complaining because they could not afford one and thought it was unfair.  Well whoever complained got the staff worked up and a certain staff member spearheaded the removal.  And here we are.  

Ive never heard of a profitable company discontinuing an item because someone could not obtain one.  Im sure whoever sparked it is long gone most likely due to not wanting to pay premium.  The staff thought it would be a show of good faith towards new players to remove.   In reality all it did was piss the people off who have multiple deeds, multiple chars (mains, few priests, batteries),  the people who buy resources from new players and keep the economy moving.  Most of the cheapskates have moved onto Wurm Unlimited.  CC will never see another dime from them and is also rapidly working towards removing the other end of the spectrum.  

Its a shame big business decisions can be swayed by peasants and volunteers.  This my friend is the sign of a kingdom in decline.

• Like 4

Were you the one buying up all those fountain pans when people were dumping them left and right?

Enjoy them for 4 more days then they revert back to there natural state. I don't expect compensation for mine, I don't think anyone else should either.

The dev's have addressed the issue of bigger containers for liquids, better storage solutions to reduce decay on liquids and foods, Interesting runes that reduce decay or change size, not sure what more you can ask for. 

I think the dev's have done an excellent job in addressing the removal of these items, they had a year to do it and they did it.

• Like 4

side note.. what's a fountain pan eh?? and what's wrong with Nahjo..Niki??? just trying to get back up to speed mean no offence!!!

ialways put fish in my fountains.. can't eat em all seems to make sense.. they can obviously hold something...

Edited by Psalamon

Its crap about the pans because the word of rolf in his damn 1.0 wurm release was fountain pans were legacy items and would remain in  game. Crying about an item just because you  dont have one is not an excuse. How about all valraie sorcery powers are unfair  so lets remove them from everyones accounts. Sounds about how this went down. Do a one day poll on the forums and winner gets there way.

If that doesnt sound  familure its a summary of how the decision was made. Its funny becuase all these items that went into the  game to offset the fountain pan functionality  were nice but that begs the question of why the item needs to be  removed in the first place? 

Also have to  wonder if the devs made profits from the  items themselves. Would be hypocritical to call it a bug and profit from it at the same time. Oh thats why it was called a legacy item, almost forgot.

15 minutes ago, JudusX said:

Its crap about the pans because the word of rolf in his damn 1.0 wurm release was fountain pans were legacy items and would remain in  game.

At one point, Rolf told me personally that he would give me 500 gold of in-game funds and a fantastic gold tool set.

I mean, as long as we're saying things that cannot in any way be substantiated, I might as well make it fun, right?

• Like 2

Mmm, loving the new racks.

Shame I can't make them, or a pantry for that matter.

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

At one point, Rolf told me personally that he would give me 500 gold of in-game funds and a fantastic gold tool set.

I mean, as long as we're saying things that cannot in any way be substantiated, I might as well make it fun, right?

I take it you weren't  around for that or didnt read the question and answers posted at the time. If you had taken the time then you would have read about legacy items. That included many items still in game that are broken or different from the current equivalent item. Would love for someone to post that, since it was done off the forum site im sure someone still has it. Btw don't  forget the forums got wiped a few years back so good luck in finding anything of that nature on the forums.

And yes i love the snarky comments.

7 minutes ago, JudusX said:

I take it you weren't  around for that or didnt read the question and answers posted at the time. If you had taken the time then you would have read about legacy items. That included many items still in game that are broken or different from the current equivalent item. Would love for someone to post that, since it was done off the forum site im sure someone still has it. Btw don't  forget the forums got wiped a few years back so good luck in finding anything of that nature on the forums.

And yes i love the snarky comments.

I wasn't around. I have no idea what Rolf said back then, if anything. All I know is that people are claiming he said something specific, but I have no idea if they're telling the truth, embellishing a little, mistaken, outright lying, misinterpreting what was said, or are completely and 100% right about it. There's no way for me to tell. I have heard from staff that backups of the old forums were searched for it, but that's also just what I've heard. Point being, at this point it's not really going to be convincing to bring it up when there's zero evidence for it.

Getting mad about fountain pans going away and stating that it's F'd up because they didn't fix it in game is about the same as taking advantage of tax breaks or a system you should not have had access to anyways.  You figure this out and then start a service and charge others some money to help them take advantage of stuff they shouldn't get access to while you are cheating the system.  Then years later they fix the system.  You going to complain that they allowed you to cheat the system and make money off it so they should keep allowing you to do it?

• Like 1

Any news on Wurm Unlimited and when the update is coming our way?

The 1hour timer is still in when using portals.

+1 on the racks and transferring, nice.

Edited by Omar

49 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Getting mad about fountain pans going away and stating that it's F'd up because they didn't fix it in game is about the same as taking advantage of tax breaks or a system you should not have had access to anyways.  You figure this out and then start a service and charge others some money to help them take advantage of stuff they shouldn't get access to while you are cheating the system.  Then years later they fix the system.  You going to complain that they allowed you to cheat the system and make money off it so they should keep allowing you to do it?

They fixed the system pretty soon after they found out.  At which time the existing pans should have been removed.  Not 8 years later after profiting from them by selling silver from the shop for their purchase.

4 hours ago, ozmods said:

No news on WU? Update

1 hour ago, Huntar said:

Any news on Wurm Unlimited and when the update is coming our way?

Soon, we're aiming to get it through beta and live before Xmas still. Beta time might be a bit less than the usual week to make that happen though.

• Like 5