Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Poll: should rarity of cooker/container change affinity of meal?

Should rarity change the affinity?   

180 members have voted

1. 1. Should rarity change the affinity?

• yes (keep current system as is)
    • No (invalidate all current affinities found via rare+ cookers)

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:28 AM, Retrograde said:

This will remain open over the weekend, with the result being taken as feedback before any decision as made

Has almost been a week, any news on when we will know the outcome? Things are kinda on hold in limbo until we know which way it goes.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 10:52 AM, Wurmhole said:

Don't reset all recipes.  Only the rare ones = fewer upset people over time lost again.  I've not cooked at all, so I'm not impacted either way.

I like you Wurm, but you need to stfu if you havent spent 3 solid weeks cooking in a rare forge and cataloging affinities for 3 toons.

Vote yes! More options!

On 2016-12-19 at 7:20 AM, Stanlee said:

I hope this goes through regardless, because currently 42% of the players don't want something that the other 58% can get just by trying a different herb.

13 hours ago, Corwen said:

I like you Wurm, but you need to stfu if you havent spent 3 solid weeks cooking in a rare forge and cataloging affinities for 3 toons.

Vote yes! More options!

I think if they want to do this, they should just reset affinities for every toon in the process.

Wonder what that 42% would look like if they had the same at stake as you do

:lol:

Oh wait, we already know that since they're voting to make you do exactly what they don't want to do.

Still think there's legit gameplay reasons to keep it as is, if the humanitarian reason of not screwing you over isn't enough for them. 

"Just change an herb" is selling the whole system so short... let's just put affinities up for sale on the cash shop for those folks.  If all it comes down to for them is just changing an herb, then yeah, that sounds pretty horrid.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2016 at 2:00 PM, Alyeska said:

The main problem lies in that it will simply make me hesitate to upgrade my cooker, since it'll make it to where I will have to start from scratch in discovering affinities. I shouldn't have to be hesitant when I can get a rare, supreme or fantastic oven (or forge, or still, or whatever). It should be a nobrainer that I would want to have and use it.

So wipe out weeks of work for people with rare ovens because you "may" get one in the future?  

If people are worried about their ovens turning rare on them, make a normal oven. All your work we still be valid with the normal oven and you will then be able to cook in the rare oven at your leisure to find new affinities. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corwen said:

So wipe out weeks of work for people with rare ovens because you "may" get one in the future?  

If people are worried about their ovens turning rare on them, make a normal oven. All your work we still be valid with the normal oven and you will then be able to cook in the rare oven at your leisure to find new affinities. 

Well, you can blame that one by now on the time they took to report and explain this. It's been a long time since I posted that - since this poll was made for that matter - since this information came out - but still there's no confirmation. If you leave something running long enough more and more people will be affected, to a point where you will really royally screw them over when you do change it. But this is the team that left SotG untouched until loads of people had spend months if not years reaching it, only to change it. The same team that let people buy fountain pans and said " we wont remove them!" then remove them years and years later.

Had they addressed this the moment it came out and made a decision, there would be far less of a problem. My point was if you get the option to use a supreme or bless, use a fantastic oven - wouldn't you feel bummed that you're going to stick with "the previous, lesser variety" until you learn to use the new one at your leisure, when in ANY other case in the game, upgrading would be obvious? This is based on the day it came out, not now, after nearly two months of having this system ingame.

At this point resetting them will suck bad for people who use rare cookers, but I think the original idea behind it when it was first added was unnecessary. Having played with the cooking system there is endless and endless varieties on these affinities to the point where you have to use precise spreadsheets to keep track of them. We're talking about fresh vs binned herbs, type of milks, type of butter, cheese, dough, meat, spices... Even the simplest basic recipes have multiple options. The infamous Herb Dumplings I cant even start to imagine how many possible varieties exist when you don't even think about rare ovens...

8 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

Well, you can blame that one by now on the time they took to report and explain this. It's been a long time since I posted that - since this poll was made for that matter -

This is a good point. I play Wurm everyday, I don't go to the forums unless I'm buying or selling something and I go straight to those forums. Why the in-game poll system was not used on something of this magnitude is beyond me. If it wasn't for this being brought up in a conversation in game with Explora about a recipe, I would never had known.

40 minutes ago, Corwen said:

This is a good point. I play Wurm everyday, I don't go to the forums unless I'm buying or selling something and I go straight to those forums. Why the in-game poll system was not used on something of this magnitude is beyond me. If it wasn't for this being brought up in a conversation in game with Explora about a recipe, I would never had known.

not that great a point.

Poll went up on the 16th.

Retro intended for it to be over by end of the week-end, but any week-end isn't very long for feedback much less the week-end before Christmas when people are gathering last minute gifts and what not.

So a few more days.

By that Friday, it's now the 23rd.  Some countries celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, not the day of, so the 23rd is the day before Christmas.

Followed by the week between Christmas and New Year's.  A ton of companies aren't very productive during that week.  A lot of people are on vacation, and due to seniority, a lot of them are the decision makers.

This past Monday was New Year's Day Observed in the US.  Other countries?  Entirely possible.

So now it's this past Tuesday, as in less than 48 hours ago.

Far as the in-game poll, no idea if Retrograde has the rights necessary for that.  A forum poll?  Sure.  An in-game poll might require a little more clout.

It has definitely been confirmed in Retro's very first sentence that the devs told him, confirmed to him, the current mechanic is how they coded it.  They've obviously already put thought into it without needing a poll to begin with.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corwen said:

They really need to start using ingame polls, I've been trying to say that for years to the DEVS and staff. Really though, most people don't use forums and people that do in the minority. We need more communication so that everyone can chime in, hell even if you posted a login message with a thread that would suffice.

I really hate to state the obvious maybe they'll agree with us this time.

Sorry about the delay, Christmas and new years tends to fragment things.

Ultimately, there are obvious and valid arguments for both sides and it does somewhat confuse upgrading a cooker but also many have put in a lot of work.

We've decided to go with the majority in the poll and allow it to continue as is, rarity of cooker will change the affinity.

As for using the ingame poll, for this it was decided against as it is often skewed by players with multiple alts, and a message upon logging in becomes kind of spammy, there was a lot of discussion about it both ingame and on the forums, and it has been raised in many area, the result is a pretty clear majority.

• Like 1