Sign in to follow this  
Stanlee

Rare ovens change affinities

Rare oven:

[02:19:59] You think the yellow mushroom stir fry might give you more of an insight about prayer!

Regular oven:

[02:20:16] You think the yellow mushroom stir fry might give you more of an insight about preaching!

Ingredients and containers standardized (0.200 olive oil, yellow mushroom, chopped carrots sourced from same FSB/barrel, same cauldron used)

Cauldron rarity did not have this effect. Or I chanced out.

Type of cooker does come into effect, it may be that the code considers rarity a different type.

Is this seriously intended?

So if I ever get a rare oven, I have to re-check everything I've made for a completely new set of affinities?

What about rare bowls, pans, cauldrons etc? Do I need to start tracking that too?

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Is this seriously intended?

So if I ever get a rare oven, I have to re-check everything I've made for a completely new set of affinities?

What about rare bowls, pans, cauldrons etc? Do I need to start tracking that too?

Retro's post kind of sounds like it is indeed unintended.

In doing this test, I was actually doing a grid of "rare/non-rare oven, rare/non-rare cauldron", cauldron rarity seemed to have no effect. Or I lucked out. Massively.

My situation is worse. All affinities recoreed using a rare oven which is obviously not present at all my deeds

• Like 2

Same. I'd far rather have a wipe and invalidate all my notes due to this being unintentional rather than having to use a rare oven every time I want one of my notes to work.

So I have spoken with the dev team about this, and initially it was intended mechanics, with the rarity affecting the type, and also boosting affinity timer length.

That said, there has been some good points about wanting rare+ ovens and pans and such, or imping your own rare, obviously longer timers are a bonus there and it seems odd to make getting a supreme oven a downside.

This does raise an issue though. If we change it, it means any testing for affinities done with rare+ containers and cookers would be invalid as mentioned above, so we're left with the possibility of it going either way, and would like your feedback.

I've moved this to the town square to get more feedback on it, and let players share what they would prefer:

a) Keep it as it is, with rarity affecting affinity type, and existing notes remain correct - this means to obtain the same affinity from the same meal the rarity on the cookers and containers will need to be the same.

b ) Remove the rarity affecting affinity type (but still affecting length) and invalidate any notes involving rare+utensils, ingredients or cookers.

• Like 2

a) I like it that rarity levels changes type so same food can have multiple affinity possibilities. I do understand that if I find meal with awesome affinity then I cannot "boost" that meal with rare oven which I think is reasonable sacrifice because I also have the option to only cook in my rare oven.

To explain my side of opinion is that lets imagine I would stick with good old meal I allways had, which is meat+pumpkin. Would I find rarity combination in which such meal would give me "That Juicy Affinity" then I could enjoy allways having that affinity with my most favorite meal type. This as mere example, completely ignoring the facts that most complex meal types I am able to fit inside its cooking container is the best course anyway because it gives almost two hours long affinity for just biting a tiny bit off of the food and the fact that given the number of different ingredients that could possibly be put into such food makes the number of variations in hundreds or thousands so I would have very high possibility to get "That Juicy Affinity" out of a "favorite complex food item" anyway.

So there is no way of naying or ayeing this one with solid argument, its more like a preference, an opinion. I do personally like to go for "more options"-choice rather than "less options"-choice. So, in imaginary situation where I would have normal, rare, supreme and fantastic oven, I could just make same type food by 4x and cook in each, test each for affinity and have alot less effort in theory to find more favorites.

19 hours ago, Jaz said:

My situation is worse. All affinities recoreed using a rare oven which is obviously not present at all my deeds

Same, I have also rare oven, where I have done so far my experimenting. I spend my time on Celebration too at times, where I don't have a rare oven. So technically it would be a fresh start there.

What worries me most tho, is that there is nothing certain in new affinity system of cooking. Every change(even fixing bugs) to the system wipes tens of hours of research clean and means fresh start.

6 minutes ago, rixk said:

What worries me most tho, is that there is nothing certain in new affinity system of cooking. Every change(even fixing bugs) to the system wipes tens of hours of research clean and means fresh start.

Which is why we've raised this, we'd like to avoid it at all costs, but we're also aware that some players may want them, it does seem somewhat backwards to have an oven turn rare be a bad thing.

We're happy to have it go either way, and really just want your feedback on whether you're willing to accept the loss in order to make future cooking easier, or whatnot.

Bear in mind, this only affects those cooking with a rare+ cooker and container, if you use normal common ovens and such you won't have anything change.

I would go with option a. Rarity affecting affinities is great as it gives people even more options. All they need to do is to make sure that they keep their normal oven/tool so that they can still get the affinities which they already found. The rare oven/tool simply allows them to easily access even more affinities with the recipes they know.

I do agree it is more work to find out your affinities again after upgrading one or more of your tools to a higher rarity, but in return you are rewarded with a boosted affinity timer length, so this is effort vs reward. You can also skip a large portion of the effort by investing in rare stuff at the beginning.

So I'd keep it as is, people who don't want to put in the extra effort for longer affinity timers can simply continue to use normal tools/containers, while people who do want to put in the effort have the choice to do so. All things considered nobody is forcing you to start using rare tools for cooking, it's a choice.

Option b can also invalidate a lot of notes as mentioned, people already complained heavily about this after it happened with a recent update, so lets not invalidate them again.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Which is why we've raised this, we'd like to avoid it at all costs, but we're also aware that some players may want them, it does seem somewhat backwards to have an oven turn rare be a bad thing.

We're happy to have it go either way, and really just want your feedback on whether you're willing to accept the loss in order to make future cooking easier, or whatnot.

Bear in mind, this only affects those cooking with a rare+ cooker and container, if you use normal common ovens and such you won't have anything change.

My choice is: "b ) Remove the rarity affecting affinity type (but still affecting length) and invalidate any notes involving rare+utensils, ingredients or cookers. "

Same affinities from all ovens, just longer affinity from rare one. There are already so many possibilities to every meal - different meats/veggies/herbs/spices.. Let at least this be certain, that when I use oven, it is still an oven, whether it glows or not.

• Like 2

After quite a lot of thinking about it I finally decided to support option a).

In the "unlucky" case someone imps an oven to rare a fast resolution is to make another normal one next to it.

I will live with the fact that my current affinity records are valid on a rare oven - I may still do research using normal ones and the even wider range of options seems tempting to get long timers on desired skills.

• Like 3

keep as is..you have rare and reg oven double the fun is the way I see it.

• Like 3

I am in support of option B, someone posted the math on affinites for just one food, there is about 100x more possibilities from foods than there are affinites :D The options are almost endless as it is.

Rare + ovens still will be valuable for the longer timers :)

Edited by Kardiwen
read a good substantiation, changed my mind for the option with less problems :)
  • Like 3

I am not in favor of option B, because it removes any benefit to having rare+ ovens. I would vote for either option A, or ideally for making the affinity itself the same from all ovens with a longer timer gained on rares, supremes and fantastic ovens. The last option would be the easiest for both notekeeping and consistency in foods in a trade environment. Having to re-note all the foods currently learned would stink but in the end it would be better and easier to maintain and use the info going forward, and the update is still new enough that some patience in getting it optimized is warranted IMO. I would prefer not to have to keep my notes on wurm food affinities in a book the size of war and peace and there is a huge amount of variation already without adding oven types to the mix.

My rare oven sits unused in another building accessible to the public for cooking because I don't like the throbbing/pulsing effect disturbing me in my main house where I live and cook meals. Either way it will remain there and I won't be using it for the many new possibilities of effects with the new cooking update.

Just another perspective on this issue where some people don't care about this issue either way. Why comment then? Hmmmm....

=Ayes=

Just now, Ayes said:

My rare oven sits unused in another building accessible to the public for cooking because I don't like the throbbing/pulsing effect disturbing me in my main house where I live and cook meals. Either way it will remain there and I won't be using it for the many new possibilities of effects with the new cooking update.

Just another perspective on this issue where some people don't care about this issue either way. Why comment then? Hmmmm....

=Ayes=

you know, GLSL shaders being disabled will fix that!

• Like 1

with option B rare+ cookers will still give longer affinities than their non rare counterparts, it just means if you do turn yours rare, or obtain a rare+ one, you do not have to completely start your collection of affinities over again (you just have to do it after this change)

• Like 1

First of, This should be re-posted as a poll  So that people understand what the hell this all means.

Secondly, please don't make rare items make entirely new things..... there is already a considerably large amount to absorb with the cooking update.

I already have enough issues with my bear burger having bison cheese vs. cheese vs. feta cheese.    I don't need two separate notes for rare, supreme, fantastic's.

I fully support that these objects help make a higher quality and longer lasting buff and food.  This will only complicate trade and usage down the line since you will not only have to write down if it was done in a normal or special cooker, but also potentially a special cooking device.  

I know people want variety but this is a terrible way to get it.

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tallios said:

Secondly, please don't make rare items make entirely new things..... there is already a considerably amount to absorb with the cooking update.

just to clarify, it currently is this way, changing it for rarity not to count would invalidate any recipes found via rare+ cookers.