Sign in to follow this  
Alyeska

Flowers and honey production

I placed an "optimal scenario" on deed. There is a single, 95 ql hive, which is active, locked and secured, in the centre of a 23x23 area consisting of purely flowers. Every single of the 529 tiles is planted with flowers; no grass, no trees, no dirt, just flowers. There is a stack of 10x 91 ql sugar placed inside the hive for the bees to prevent them from consuming their own honey. I expected because of the sheer amount of  flowers I would be seeing a very good production of honey. In 12 hours, they have produced a measly 0.01 kg of honey.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q_KTdf2Oc_HiMtPobQhfn5fJorkP9BdY0ekLq2AyROY/edit#gid=0

I've kept a spreadsheet with info on the hives, with their quality info, location, and twice-daily production. The hives placed on crops are overlapping. The hives placed on flower, trees, and grass and trees do not overlap. The numbers for crops, grass, and trees seem pretty good keeping in mind slight randomness. The production on flowers seems almost like the bees are not able to find anything at all for production.

JrsCN5K.png

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

I get .03 from 31x53 from 70 ql hive every 24 hours

Keeping sugar as well for them not to use their own honey.

Edited by bangzuvelis

Just checked my wild hive and found .32 generated in the last 48 hours. Wild hive has only trees around, only few tiles of grass/flowers.

Can you show the setup of hives and tiles, please? i.e. a diagram showing exactly where the hives are in relation to each other, and what tiles are surrounding each.

Just now, Pandalet said:

Can you show the setup of hives and tiles, please? i.e. a diagram showing exactly where the hives are in relation to each other, and what tiles are surrounding each.

Will take a little while, but I can.

Ive been watching my hives religiously since they were released and i can say without a doubt something happened to flowers in the last few days that turned production to .02 in 24 hours if im lucky. I was getting around .5kg's a day from the same areas. hives one crops are producing 4 times the amount of honey than those on flowers and anything off deed in the woods produces considerably more. Something in the patch messed with the flowers is my only guess.

I saw Retro posting in the bee topics that its "the same as the altars" in terms of radius, maybe altar-radius-code is messing with the bee-radius-code? Since I see an altar standing really close to your flower beehive.

All my "flower" hives have different altars closeby, and the last 4 days none of them produced wax, honey goes up slow (but havent keeping an eye on the amount of honey, atm I'm more interested in wax).

I have altars  near mine as well, still doesnt explain the  sudden drop in production.

6 hours ago, Lycanthropic said:

I saw Retro posting in the bee topics that its "the same as the altars" in terms of radius, maybe altar-radius-code is messing with the bee-radius-code? Since I see an altar standing really close to your flower beehive.

All my "flower" hives have different altars closeby, and the last 4 days none of them produced wax, honey goes up slow (but havent keeping an eye on the amount of honey, atm I'm more interested in wax).

The other hives I have tested with also have altars nearby, but it's anyones guess :)

as a side note, it seems that ripe crops give less honey than halfway crops do.

Mid crops were said to give most honey yield, as of now its the only thing giving me yields. Other option is to  put the hives off into the woods until  flowers  are fixed.

Bump, hoping for input from a dev; the spreadsheets are updated twice daily so please look into this.

Edited by Alyeska

I haven't done much with hives yet, but here is some information derived from the real world that might help.

Sugar in the hive is a feeder for when there is not much food about, bees will feed from the unprocessed pollen collected, so if you are providing sugar you will discourage them to forage.

The amount of honey produced should be based on the season, the "honey flow" is normally in the spring.

The bees will unlikely create honey from sugar, they will eat the sugar there isn't enough other compounds in the feed to make them see it as a reserve that can be used to feed pupa.

I was thinking that seasons  might change honey production but we are being told a 100% drop in production isnt suppose to happen. I am wondering why others haven't  reported this or if its only effecting certain  people?

5 hours ago, morlan said:

I haven't done much with hives yet, but here is some information derived from the real world that might help.

Sugar in the hive is a feeder for when there is not much food about, bees will feed from the unprocessed pollen collected, so if you are providing sugar you will discourage them to forage.

The amount of honey produced should be based on the season, the "honey flow" is normally in the spring.

The bees will unlikely create honey from sugar, they will eat the sugar there isn't enough other compounds in the feed to make them see it as a reserve that can be used to feed pupa.

I used information derived from what the devs told us. The sugar is placed in hives to prevent bees from eating their own honey, not to have them turn it to honey. This practice is advised so your hive does not starve while you are taking their honey from them if they get a feeding tick.

The production does change with the season, but a 95 ql hive should not only produce .01 to .02 kg per day when surrounded by flowers unless they are dormant in winter...

2 hours ago, JudusX said:

I was thinking that seasons  might change honey production but we are being told a 100% drop in production isnt suppose to happen. I am wondering why others haven't  reported this or if its only effecting certain  people?

Perhaps other people have not taken the effort to really investigate beehives with their entire radius surrounded by purely flowers :)

Any chance that your bad-performing hives are on deed, and the well-producing ones are off-deed (just like sourcestones/fountains are working)?

6 hours ago, Kianga said:

Any chance that your bad-performing hives are on deed, and the well-producing ones are off-deed (just like sourcestones/fountains are working)?

All hives are on-deed

The only producing hives are  on crops, grass, and trees. Off deed hives produce because they dont have many flowers.

I have a source stone on deed that works just fine, not sure what you mean by that.

Updating once every 24 hours now and the number is still garbage. Apparantly not fixed in todays update and still no response from any staff.

Apologies for a lack of response - it's been a horribly busy week, and I've barely had time to sleep, much less get useful things done.  Please be assured, this is something I'm looking at, and your really detailed observations are super-useful for that.

• Like 1

Just a hunch but when wax production was messed with a little while ago is it possible that  caused something to break since its about the only thing that was changed that would effect honey production, not to mention wax production wasnt increased. Its all i can think of that could tie into the drop.

there is a very obvious variable, the hives on my flower fields were producing .5kgs of honey a day and then dropped to .01 after the update that was suppose to fix wax production. without moving them it changed. the hives on crops and the hives in the woods are still producing the same.

have to agree on everything else you said.

Just wondering if this has been looked into as flower tiles still do not yield  honey.