Sign in to follow this  
Andromas

Surface Mining

10 hours ago, Nappy said:

I think one of the most loved and used mods on WU is the surface mining mod primarily because it makes surface mining alot better. People miss not having it the mod when it is taken away.

There is no point in comparing what works in WU and what works in WO. While both are Wurm, they are in essence completely different games and use different approaches to part you from money. In WO you can get the game for free, that is only the beginning, now the devs have to make you hooked, so you start paying and they have to give you motivation to play, so you keep p(l)aying. In WU on the other hand the game has a pricetag and after you purchase game, the deal is done. Whether you even boot up the game after the purchase, that doesn't matter.

Using the monster projects as a measure is also not exactly right. If we take a project at a magnitude of Mag Scar, then even plain digging is a ton of work. But I think this doesn't mean, that surfacemining should become same as digging, where you just swap your shovel to a pick, when you hit rock(just an example, not claiming, that smining is now as digging). So technically making huge project easier, can take the challenge completely out of smaller smining projects.

It makes sense now.

I mine corner. Corner drops.

Why is this bad? I  have done extensive shurface mining but I feel good about this change.

Consider it a technological advancement...

Modders? Idea...

A large cart with or without modified model which uses a dredge like tool to remove tiles adjacent to position of material. Would not dig self tile.

Call it an [excaVator]

I really like this change. Quite a lot of surface mining behind me,also done some since the change. There is visible diff mining with a 96 and 83 skill toon, also it still takes effort. To my feeling the balance is right here.

Concrete is a safety measure for sure - unless your mistake is next to 40+ slopes.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rixk said:

There is no point in comparing what works in WU and what works in WO. While both are Wurm, they are in essence completely different games and use different approaches to part you from money. While both are Wurm, they are in essence completely different games and use different approaches to part you from money. In WO you can get the game for free, that is only the beginning, now the devs have to make you hooked, so you start paying and they have to give you motivation to play, so you keep p(l)aying. In WU on the other hand the game has a pricetag and after you purchase game, the deal is done. Whether you even boot up the game after the purchase, that doesn't matter.

This isn't so black and white. While the games are quite different, they are also very similar in many aspects. Good QoL improvements introduced in WU through mods should be investigated to see if they have any merit in WO in either their current form or in a modified form. Ignoring which mods work in WU, or what works in other games because those games aren't WO is shortsighted. One should study what works well in other games, determine which of those things would work for WO and then, depending on priorities and available time, add the most promising things to WO in order to improve upon WO. Don't ignore the competition just because they have different business models, you need to both innovate and learn from the competition. Else you will be left behind in the dust.

In the case of surface mining I think they did it right. Even with the small projects I did in the past it used to be incredibly boring to surface mine (while I love digging). I was generally spamming one button to mine while watching a movie because surface mining was one of the most mind numbing activities in the game since ~9 out of 10 times absolutely nothing happened, the game gave no feedback towards your activities. Now you get feedback a lot more often at high skill and you can do a lot more creative things in the same amount of time as before, without it feeling like there is no challenge/achievement. It still takes effort and I must say after trying it that the difficulty feels quite right between my different toons with different mining skill. I feel that the difficulty of this activity is in a much better spot now, while the difficulty before felt detrimental to player retention.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Ecrir said:

In the case of surface mining I think they did it right. Even with the small projects I did in the past it used to be incredibly boring to surface mine (while I love digging). I was generally spamming one button to mine while watching a movie because surface mining was one of the most mind numbing activities in the game since ~9 out of 10 times absolutely nothing happened, the game gave no feedback towards your activities.

This is why I prefer WU in many ways, being that the timers are fast enough on *some* servers that you can actually play the game attentively. Meaning that yea, you need to pay attention to what you are doing rather than spending half the time in game doing something other than playing it because of the slow WO timers and mechanisms, of which surface mining is a prime example.

Also, the Dev's have indeed added some things to WO specifically because they saw then first being implemented in WU. So I agree also with your statement that positive aspects there should be examined to determine how they may fit into and benefit WO as well. Since this is actually happening there is hope that it will continue on into the future as WO wanders on down its meandering path into the unknown.

=Ayes=