Sign in to follow this  
Andromas

Surface Mining

I'm an old time surface miner, spending many hours failing most attempts.

I am concerned about about how easy surface mining has become.

The dedication to a project in the past with little skill gain is the only thing that kept me going.

It seems too easy now and I worry about some of our great old land marks(Mountains) being sliced and diced :(

• Like 1

How high is your mining? the chance of succeeding at surface mining now increases with mining skill, it didn't used to before. Depending on how high your skill is this could very well make it look easier to you than it actually is for most of the players.

Ah ok 83 + rare pickaxe. But I still think it should be a little harder.

Really? Why on earth are you complaining about a QoL change? They made it easier because the skillgain sucked and surface mining is a chore, people in the past have probably quit over how bad it was. People wont slice and dice, it's still pretty slow.

• Like 8

It was a chore and low skill gain for a good reason in my humble opinion ;)

I have not tried out the new surface mining improvements in WO yet but I was pleased to hear that they made some improvements to make it less time consuming at higher (and even all) mining skill levels. In the past the random removal of one shard after many, many hits was absolutely ridiculous. A lot of worthwhile improvements against mountainsides were abandoned because of this. 

Personally I would still prefer surface mining was one shard per hit at any skill level but supposedly the new surface mining improvement is much better (less time consuming mind numbness) than before. I guess I will need to give it a try sometime just to see if it really makes any substantial difference. Possibly others can comment on their experience with it within this thread.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

It was about time for surface mining to get some love! I'm all about that old time wurm and hard stuff,but after doing it for years and years i think making it a bit faster wont hurt anyone..specially not the mountains!! there are not enough crazy people in wurm.

I don't have my main miner premium currently so I've only been able to try it with my miner that only has 55 skill. It almost seems worse than previous with that character. I got 3 shards out of a run of 20 actions at one point.

Coming from someone with newb mining skill on one account and just 55 on my other, it's hard enough, ty.

Bummer change really...

It wasn't a chore it was an extremely tough thing to accomplish on a large scale, but those that dedicated their time to accomplishing it made their deeds look immensely cooler. It was one of those "top tier" kind of accomplishments, such as paving large areas of a deed or roads in slate, or creating stone structures made with 50,000 bricks. The fact is as well that finding land has always been incredibly easy, land that wasn't rocky, so those that deeded over rocky areas then complained really had nothing to complain about. You want a deed on the side of a mountain, then be prepared to invest the time in it.

The changes in surface mining actually allowed me to get things on my deed that would have taken forever to do otherwise.

If you really feel the need to suffer though you can always make a WU server and make it as tough as you want.

Otherwise leave my new success at surface mining alone thank you very much.

Also my troll detection alarm went off with this thread big time.

• Like 3

On 11.12.2016 at 11:38 AM, Andromas said:

I'm an old time surface miner, spending many hours failing most attempts.

I am concerned about about how easy surface mining has become.

The dedication to a project in the past with little skill gain is the only thing that kept me going.

It seems too easy now and I worry about some of our great old land marks(Mountains) being sliced and diced :(

Case example how EVERYTHING they change, someone will complain.

Even ability to pick up bulk storage containers was being complained about. Even Client remembering local window positions was being complained about. Even...

I am considering myself as much of an old-time surfaceminer as anyone. My sweat and blood is in many "stunning" creations in Wurm. I've spent enormous amount of time multitasking with up to four characters simultaneous to bend that hard rock to my will. Yes, it is possible that the admiration of other players towards my creations are less in the future when one can accomplish it almost five times easier now. But so what?

It still takes enormous dedication to even scar a mountain just a bit and yet tunneling still proposes far greater results than any group of 100-skilled miners can put together without going insane.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Bummer change really...

It wasn't a chore it was an extremely tough thing to accomplish on a large scale, but those that dedicated their time to accomplishing it made their deeds look immensely cooler. It was one of those "top tier" kind of accomplishments, such as paving large areas of a deed or roads in slate, or creating stone structures made with 50,000 bricks. The fact is as well that finding land has always been incredibly easy, land that wasn't rocky, so those that deeded over rocky areas then complained really had nothing to complain about. You want a deed on the side of a mountain, then be prepared to invest the time in it.

Duh. Big part of my deed has had slice of mountain covered for past 6 years during which I have progressed (slowly) to pick a chunk out of it. Make overlooking keep in the face of the mountain and bring the remaining rock to flat with village level. The end result would be a overlooking keep towering approximately thousand steep from main village.

So now that surfacemining got about 5x faster and my stubborn dedication just got so much more joyful... the realization how much work it still is is apparent. That rock wont budge as easily as I imagined the first day this "cooking update" came in. The change merely shows possibility that this towering-keep-idea might actually realize someday in the future rather than be 20-year plan which never finish.

Once you get to the point that a healthy amount of surfacemining a day is in thousands of bricks and progress is almost unnoticeable, it becomes very clear how this change to make surfacemining was simply to the right direction and is a change that has been dreamed of by very many for many years.

What the change actually does, most probably (in my opinion) is that we are about to see alot more creativity put into rock shaping in wurm terrain than we did before. Why would anyone consider it a bummer? Especially when YOUR argument is based on "how magnificient" the creations are and even with this change any large scale surfacemining operations remain as prominent accomplishments.

• Like 3

Ah, so it has already begun. 

As predicted from the start, the influence of WU would eventually lead to the urge of easing up on core timers and skill gains in WO. The future will see handfuls of old players driven away skill by skill, and no new players gained.

On 11.12.2016 at 0:20 PM, Andromas said:

It was a chore and low skill gain for a good reason in my humble opinion ;)

Then theres that. Myself, quite few friends of mine have got 90+ mining due to surfacemining. Although the project progress is lethally affected by skilling.

I got alts at 90, 80 and 70 mining purely from aiding in my surfacemining ops.

"and low skill gain". Yeah perhaps instead of 94 mining I would have 95 or even 96 mining if I would have slain few veins instead of chipping at rock outside.

If you take away the effort in reaching something, you will also take away the sense of accomplishment, when you reach a goal. For creativity Wurm could be like Deed planner, but if you create something there, have you achieved something?

17 minutes ago, rixk said:

If you take away the effort in reaching something, you will also take away the sense of accomplishment, when you reach a goal. For creativity Wurm could be like Deed planner, but if you create something there, have you achieved something?

Good thing there is deed planner so it is possible to effortlessly test things out before putting in the effort of reaching it in the game.

first - new change benefits accounts with HIGH mining, so I don't see any problem

second - surface mining was hard, but if someone planned everything good and got priest for collapsing, the most of the rock were easily removed by opening mine entrance trick, not to mention that you could make great slopes by that trick in very short time

third - as far as I remember, people were complaining on surface mining and wanted that change

Edited by Wilczan

If for some reason you're crazy enough to think that major surface mining projects are now easy, try doing one!

• Like 2

surface mining is still hard....when you have low skill it still takes very long, especially if you also have low tools and no woa.
Also if you do just ONE mistake and mine a little too far, you might end up having to make concrete <----that's definitely not easy to make!

then don't forget that on some servers the rock underneath dirt is extremely spiky, so I find myself quite often having to climb surface mine......

Oh and...don't know what you are talking about, but I started scaring a mountain before they made this change :P and despite surface mining being "easier" now, people are still not very eager to surface mine from what I can see :P

I like the change :) it's alot less masochistic now since the RNG of when you lower rock is alot more predictable and it FINALLY helps to have higher skill. Sure the timers were getting shorter before aswell, but it was was barely noticable in terms of surface mining. Not sure why anyone would complain about it....it is still work.

• Like 2

I spent three weeks in therapy after surfacing mining my deed.  I still shudder when I think of that type mining.  At high 80's it was disrespectful, and humiliating to bang bang bang and see my lower mining skill alt out mine me.  Yes love the idea but no I have not tried it. 

12 hours ago, Cista said:

As predicted from the start, the influence of WU would eventually lead to the urge of easing up on core timers and skill gains in WO. The future will see handfuls of old players driven away skill by skill, and no new players gained.

Utter nonsense. The exact opposite is the effect, as gradually reducing the tedium (extensive timers and slow skill gains) are what discourage new players from continuing. I can see how it would create resentment in some older players though who have built their skills and surface mining creations within this old framework. Their attitude is more the problem here.

12 hours ago, Raybarg said:

What the change actually does, most probably (in my opinion) is that we are about to see alot more creativity put into rock shaping in wurm terrain than we did before.

This is more the desired effect this improved reduced surface mining time reduction will have in result. More players will be encouraged to do more creative building because of it. Then when others will see the results they will be encouraged to attempt to do similar creations. It's still not even close though to the 1 hit= 1 shard of some of the WU servers though, so no real comparison between the two. Just a nice little compromise for the WO servers that stops somewhat short of real benefit.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cista said:

Ah, so it has already begun. 

I am thrilled with the new change to surface mining. I'm not going anywhere and I'm actually able to finish some of the stuff I started within a reasonable timeframe now. With the addition of concrete there was no reason to keep it at near - impossible levels. It is no longer an irreversible process which was the reason for the outrageous difficulty.

Anyone who has done serious rock terraforming knows about the tunnel/collapse workaround anyway. Viewing deeds in progress that have rock terrafoming done makes it awfully obvious those aren't being surface mined corner by corner.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2016 at 5:52 AM, Ayes said:

I have not tried out the new surface mining improvements in WO yet but I was pleased to hear that they made some improvements to make it less time consuming at higher (and even all) mining skill levels. In the past the random removal of one shard after many, many hits was absolutely ridiculous. A lot of worthwhile improvements against mountainsides were abandoned because of this. 

Personally I would still prefer surface mining was one shard per hit at any skill level but supposedly the new surface mining improvement is much better (less time consuming mind numbness) than before. I guess I will need to give it a try sometime just to see if it really makes any substantial difference. Possibly others can comment on their experience with it within this thread.

=Ayes=

I think one of the most loved and used mods on WU is the surface mining mod primarily because it makes surface mining alot better. People miss not having it the mod when it is taken away.

• Like 1