Sign in to follow this  
ClericGunem

Why does honey decay in Wurm?

Honey does not naturally decay.  Why go through so many realistic things, ruin food fast if we carry it, add a pantry to store food longer (if we had snow which is more rare than supreme salt for 42 days) and THEN make honey something that decays.  Seriously this one just bothers me.  

I feel i would lose some self respect if i had to suggest something so obvious, so i just want to know why.  So Why?

Edited by ClericGunem
semi-snarkiness removed
  • Like 6

Honey is something of an oddity, in that, unlike most foods, it doesn’t spoil over time. In fact, the oldest known sample of honey, found in an Ancient Egyptian tomb and dated to approximately 3000 years ago, was still supposedly perfectly edible

Source: http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/08/21/chemistryofhoney/

I was not aware that honey in Wurm does decay. IF we were playing a totally life-like game then it should not, however as we all know, Wurm has its own rules.

• Like 1

I had forgotten about some in a bucket in my backpack i pulled from wild hives a few days ago

sXyfht2.png

Edited by ClericGunem

Because this is Wurm, where even a ceramic vase or a ball of solid gold inexplicably crumbles to dust when exposed to air.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Because this is Wurm, where even a ceramic vase or a ball of solid gold inexplicably crumbles to dust when exposed to air.

True, i was trying to limit my scope to food stuffs, but agreed.  Just bothered me a lot to see this one, would have been nice to see one food stuff that did not have to worry about

I was wondering the same thing myself. I think they could let this 1 item go undecayed anywhere in game. It should only change when cooked with something. Unless the intention is to store in wax sealed containers? Kinda silly , my wife is a bee keeper in real life, and she asked me about this whole bee keeping thing when I told her Wurm was adding bees.

• Like 1

I think you can preserve them with sealed containers.

However, the thing that bothers me the most is that honey can decay in an active hive. Some days ago, after the server updates/reboots, I found that the honey in my domestic hives had some damage on it. That forced me to clean pick them (I usually leave like 1kg honey in the hive), and feed them with sugar instead. This is insane, like the thing is not even organic. It is like if you forgot to milk a cow, then its milk got infected and kill the animal.

I also noticed that some wild hive also got damage too (in addition to the damage of the honey inside). But I am not sure if it is because of the server, or some wurmian just decided/tried to shake the hive.

11 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

+1 for removing honey decay

decay.

Realism: opened a bucket of honey earlier this year, 10yrs old, crystalized.

###### candy. Oh ###### so good.

Much like wine, honey improves with age

It's really the bee's knees.

Devs, the perfect mead is calling.

It needs your help.

Honeybrew Meadery has suffered enough, no?

Edited by Makarus
the honey tastes sweet, noble, and utterly delicious.
  • Like 3

Yep, I had gathered a bit of honey and stored it in a jar in my inventory. Some random number of days later was going to add some more collected and noticed the decay on it inside. Frankly I wasn't surprised but just disappointed. Typical WO punishment for harvesting anything and then not storing in bins or some such containers.

It would be a sweet surprise to find one fine sunshiny day that honey no longer would have any decay. Teeth too! At least no dentists are required here. Maybe they should protest too...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

NOTHING on deed should decay PERIOD, with over 30 days of upkeep ! But you know Chores Online likes us running around repairing things cause we dont have enough chores to do in game:wacko:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This will be addressed in the next update

Woot! xD

Strictly speaking, "decay" doesn't have to mean literal decay. Like, if I leave honey out in an unsealed container, it might not rot, per se, but it's sure going to get messed up by something, whether it's bugs or something else.

Next Update: ANTS

zgvrm61cmomjwvb1cxa9.jpg

Ameisen.jpg

Ants in your pantry

Ants in your bed

Ants in your pants ...

do_you_want_ants.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Edzwarr said:

NOTHING on deed should decay PERIOD, with over 30 days of upkeep ! But you know Chores Online likes us running around repairing things cause we dont have enough chores to do in game:wacko:

I should be able to like this one twice. 

So LIKE.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Strictly speaking, "decay" doesn't have to mean literal decay. Like, if I leave honey out in an unsealed container, it might not rot, per se, but it's sure going to get messed up by something, whether it's bugs or something else.

The only bugs in wurm are the ones causing things like embark on your cart (oops, camera freeze, relog! Hope not to die because of a bug...) 

The other bugs feel the wrath of my longsword.  Other than that, we are pretty safe from bugs.

If we had ants in Wurm i imagine they would be 1 meter tall, travel in swarms, and if they saw you your honey becoming spoiled would be the least concern..

• Like 2

Honey has a number of things that does effect it.  Like water that is in the air, or lack of.  I'm not going to get deep into it becuase its some egg head point that isn't really important.  To the point though, I would think that the decay factor is there just like every thing else in wurm that decays.  If you leave the game, there needs to be a way to have it vanish.

imo, the whole approach about not letting us put stuff in the FSB and that larder things is dumb. 

I would have just added all that stuff as a FSB item, and frankly, I'm going to mod it into WU 1.3 comes to it.

• Like 1

Nothing makes sense in this game I've come to realize, some could even say this game is not suppose to mimic the real world and logic. So I've accepted Wogic in my life as it's for the best, no sense to get angry anymore, okay maybe just a little.

• Like 1