Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

Full patch notes on the client

Patch notes on the client, and in city hall are often short of what is posted in patch notes in the forums newsfeed section.    This often leads to people missing patch details.
Put full patch details right on the client, save people from having to check multiple sources to get the full patch notes.   Most people want to read the updates right on the client and then start playing.  
I see no reason at all for omitting update notes on the client.    Most people launch their client, see the update notes there, and the log in to play, only to find a chat with "so and so read this, notes over here say this, notes over here say that."

And please, if you are reading this Retro I really don't want an excuse why it can't be done like you normally give.   If you are reading this and all you can do is come up with one of your excuses, don't even bother to post.

• Like 1

which notes are you referring to? The notes that go to the website are also displayed in the browser, and a bot posts them on the forum, they all come from the same source.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Patch notes on the client, and in city hall are often short of what is posted in patch notes in the forums newsfeed section.    This often leads to people missing patch details.
Put full patch details right on the client, save people from having to check multiple sources to get the full patch notes.   Most people want to read the updates right on the client and then start playing.  
I see no reason at all for omitting update notes on the client.    Most people launch their client, see the update notes there, and the log in to play, only to find a chat with "so and so read this, notes over here say this, notes over here say that."

And please, if you are reading this Retro I really don't want an excuse why it can't be done like you normally give.   If you are reading this and all you can do is come up with one of your excuses, don't even bother to post.

Rather than your standard bashing and berating of Retrograde (and staff in general), you may want to clarify your problem and point so that we can attempt to assist you. Your forum posts all seem to have the same theme to them, which is rather unfortunate.

As Retrograde said, patch notes are posted in the same place every time. It's actually an interface for our website - not the forums. It's then copied to the forums. The client pulls from the website directly.

Retrograde does it properly. The one time I attempted to do patch notes, I did indeed bugger it up by posting directly on the forums. :)

• Like 7

Check the patch notes on the client, then check the patch notes under the website news forum.   Spot the differences.
What did I saw about posting excuses? And you people wonder why I've become frustrated with the staff recently.

Think Old man Grey has been drinking one too many. The client patch notes are the same as the ones posted on the forums.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lolmaster said:

Think Old man Grey has been drinking one too many. The client patch notes are the same as the ones posted on the forums.

Really?  Look at the client, look at the patch notes in City hall and then look at the ones under the website news sub forum.   Usually the ones on the client and city hall are missing details that are only found under website news.
This really is not a hard or complex suggestion, just have the same patch notes across the board.

What details? can you please provide examples? I literally only post them to one spot and they're copied across automatically.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

automagically.

Corrected the typo.

I haven't had an issue this time playing the wurm game.

This is a huge improvement over old patch information.

I always wondered what was actually added. Now days I have a good idea.

Being said, I liked op before the second half of the post.  full details are always nice. A good job is still being done, and a lot of information is being given for each patch.

Greyfox, goosfrabah.

To clarify: patch notes in full detail in the launcher is a nice feature.

Most games have a partial liast with a link embedded in the update note in patcher, to full info.

Maybe a link in the client to full patch notes is a good idea? I haven't paid much attention on my two logins since the last update so I am unsure if this happens already.

Edited by Makarus
Stationary latrines. *scoffs*

Full patch notes are in the client, you just need to scroll if they're long

• Like 1

they're always the same; i know this because i quickly click the forums to type my hatred about no epic updates. Trust me they're mirrored and there. 

• Like 1

For the most part the past 1/2 year or more we have had more patch notes than previously posted when patch's have been done. I think the odd thing is still missed, but at least it is not the big mystery it was before.

The team is doing a good job on this, post specific examples or shut it.\

An the blue flowers are working fine. (not part of the topic) =p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mclovin said:

they're always the same; i know this because i quickly click the forums to type my hatred about no epic updates. Trust me they're mirrored and there. 

The ones in city hall are a mirror of the ones on the client.  The ones under Website news section of the forums are not always the same.   I wasn't even aware of the difference until someone else pointed it out in game.    So all I'm asking for is the be the same all the time, other wise it leads to confusion. 

how about we make patch notes on the forums, 1 week before the patch goes live????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greyfox said:

The ones in city hall are a mirror of the ones on the client.  The ones under Website news section of the forums are not always the same.   I wasn't even aware of the difference until someone else pointed it out in game.    So all I'm asking for is the be the same all the time, other wise it leads to confusion. 

can you please provide examples, because again, its the exact same thing being posted.

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

can you please provide examples, because again, its the exact same thing being posted.

Are you sure?

This may be it...

We've been waiting for this moment, dreading its creeping approach...

The singularity is upon us, first the forums, then the world!

What I "think" Greyfox means, is that the weekly update news contains more information about certain changes, related to bug-fixes and tweaking to the game, as the patch notes do.

He has posted it here: 

I also "think" he's one of the players who've been hit by the tweaks with the hell horses, saccing for Nahjo and a forthcomming change in meditation; making him a bit grumpy.

Mind you, I use "think" because I can't look inside someone's head and see / read their thoughts. So I might be mistaken as well. :huh:

Thorin :)

• Like 1

Let's try and consolidate this thread a bit..... with my own personal view! =D

I do know of quite a few players whose PC's can handle Wurm .. barely... and NOTHING ELSE, including browser.

So how 'bout a light option in the client itself.  Say... you type /patchnotes and a popup window shows up with a nice, light, text only version of the latest 4 patch notes.

They aren't patch notes, they are weekly news pieces to give an insight into what's going on in wurm, especially on the dev and staff side of thing.

Stating that we will be looking at something down the road is not something you'll see in patch notes, it's not the place for it.

• Like 2

13013190.jpg... none the less... 

Anyhow, client notes are supposed to be just changes, if it included all the dev/gm/ public relations stuff, you'd be scrolling for days on end. 

Edited by polarbear

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:35 AM, Retrograde said:

Ask me a question while I'm on a forum "vacation"  that's cute.

As for example, most recently the 1.3 patch notes.   Client mentioned nothing about Fat level slowing down  SB drain, Website news section did. As I mentioned in this thread I didn't even notice until someone else in in game pointed it out.   I'm also not the only one who missed it.   I simple ask for some consistency and I end up with a warning and get a forum "vacation". 
But as you've said, you post them, so you must know they are sometimes differences.   All I want is some consistency.   
I'm not trying to staff bash, but you're non answers, excuses, and really poor excuse of community relations makes it REALLY hard to not get frustrated with certain staff members.  Hell it wasn't that long ago you where deleting peoples threads simply because you didn't feel like answering.  

Also, really was not a fan of that forum "vacation".   

Fats – high bar increases favour regeneration also used to reduce sleep bar drain.

Website news is where I post, the client notes are then mirrored from that.

Literally the same source, and they both had that information.

41 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Client mentioned nothing about Fat level slowing down  SB drain, Website news section did.

The client pulls directly from the website when you start the launcher, so them being different is not possible.

17 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Fats – high bar increases favour regeneration also used to reduce sleep bar drain.

Website news is where I post, the client notes are then mirrored from that.

Literally the same source, and they both had that information.

Well, I can no longer prove that wasn't on the client.   It is however not mentioned in the city hall.  
And it's not mentioned in Pandas 1.3 guide, although Panda wrote that and not you.(Good guide btw Panda)

At any rate, some constancy would be nice. Why does this suggestion need to be so hard?  Why is it always like pulling teeth with you Retro?   Client, Website news, City hall, all have the exact same path notes.   Not that hard of a suggestion.
As I said, not trying to staff bash, but this really didn't need to reach this point.    This was a really simple suggestion asking for some consistency.  

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:22 AM, Thorinoakshield said:

What I "think" Greyfox means, is that the weekly update news contains more information about certain changes, related to bug-fixes and tweaking to the game, as the patch notes do.

He has posted it here: 

I also "think" he's one of the players who've been hit by the tweaks with the hell horses, saccing for Nahjo and a forthcomming change in meditation; making him a bit grumpy.

Mind you, I use "think" because I can't look inside someone's head and see / read their thoughts. So I might be mistaken as well. :huh:

Thorin :)

Not what I meant in this thread.   I've expressed, along with others, my opinions about the nerfs of this year in the respective threads.   Sometimes the devs listened to upset customers, most of the time they ignored them.   
This thread was simply to ask for some consistency in patch notes, but that request seems to hard.

The patch notes are 100% consistent across all mediums. The process is:

The changelogs are posted to the website - this is the bit I do, I take the developer and QA tested changelogs and format them and post them.

The client then pulls them from the site automatically, I have no hand in this process, when patch notes are tagged, they are posted to a second page, that page is the client news feed.

The devblog bot then posts it directly to the forums by copying the website. (the fats thing can be found in the website post here too:

The only other thing I can think of is when the CCFP system was teased some weeks/months prior, it did not include that the fats system would provide that boost. That is due to feedback about the fats not being important for anyone who was not a priest (as it only encouraged favour regeneration at that point.)

From there the decision was made to include fats as a boost to sleep bonus, and was listed fully in the change log.

Weekly news can be tough, it's a balance between "here's whats coming" and "here's what the devs are working on". While they do sound similar, they can vary greatly. Sometimes plans change along the way, and in the past many things were teased that took months, if not years to wind up in the game. There is always a constant revision process and I do my best to ensure that the information I give is accurate at the time of giving it, but if it changes with the release, that information is provided in the patch notes.

TL;DR

The weekly news is works in progress, features in development can and will change often prior to release. Please rely on the patch notes for the exact information about what each thing will do, as that is the final information on the update.

• Like 1

Like I said Retro, I can't prove the client patch note where less detailed now.  Could have if I hadn't gotten a temp forum ban.....   Only thing I have left is to ask where are the City Hall patch notes for 1.3?
And you people wonder why Wurm is loosing players.   All I wanted was some consistency  and I got a forum ban.    It was one of the damn script kiddies that noticed the problem in patch notes in the first place and pointed it out in game(And yes I checked the client and website news at the time and they where in fact different).   I simply came here asking for some consistency.  I didn't come here to try to fight.   I didn't come here to staff bash.  I just came to make a simple suggestion and asked that excuses where not given.    I got excuses and a temp ban.   Stellar customer service.  
But hey, I didn't come here to argue with you, although you did your best to drag me into an argument(And succeeded).