Sign in to follow this  
Alyeska

Increase honey production (on flowers)

After numerous struggles with hives, having put together the following:

* Regarding the area a beehive will look at, it depends on the QL of the hive.  95ql - 11 tile radius

* the larger the area that a hive can gather from, the more honey and wax it will produce.

* The best tiles for honey production are grass with flowers. 

* Hive areas can overlap, but a given tile only contributes to 1 hive. 

* Bees will consume either honey or sugar approximately once every 5 RL days, with a preference for sugar

This was info found here and here.

I placed an "optimal scenario" on deed. There is a single, 95 ql hive, which is active, locked and secured, in the centre of a 23x23 area consisting of purely flowers. Every single of the 529 tiles is planted with flowers; no grass, no trees, no dirt, just flowers. There is a stack of 10x 91 ql sugar placed inside the hive for the bees to prevent them from consuming their own honey. I expected because of the sheer amount of  flowers I would be seeing a very good production of honey. In 12 hours, they have produced a measly 0.01 kg of honey.

It is currently ingame summer, so there should be no slow down becuase of cold weather right now.

[12:22:21] An enclosed structure in which some honey bee species of the subgenus Apis live and raise their young. The active bee hive has been firmly secured to the ground by Alyeska. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Xallo'. It is locked with a lock of exceptional quality. Ql: 95.07604, Dam: 0.0.

JrsCN5K.png

I was going to post this as a bug but the thread I had on honey production was closed as resolved, so I don't know if this is a bug or intended. Will update in another 12 hours to see if anything miraculously changes. The 6 lower ql hives placed closer together on farm crops produced a combined .95 kg in the same timespan, with the lower ql hives producing more than the higher ql hives.

Lower ql hives on crops are producing more than a 95 ql hive on flowers.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 3

This is kind of bad....

Thanks for doing some extreme testing.  

Can I add that perhaps "mature" crops would count as flowers or even better for honey collection?  

The crop could benefit from a +1 to its total production because of excellent pollination?

Oh also fruit trees should count as well.

Edited by Tallios

Agree, that's really bad. Sounds like the old fruit harvest problems, where higher QL/skill was detrimental.

In my mind, hony production should be more along the lines of
Honey per time = (1+Hive QL bonus)*(Total value of bee food in range)

Edited by Darmalus

11 hours have passed since last checking. .02 kg of honey has been produced.

in comparison, in the same amount of time, the following hives (placed on crops) have produced:

59 ql - .22 kg honey and 2 wax

67 ql - .20 kg honey and 0 wax

90 ql - .45 kg honey and 1 wax

60 ql - .06 kg honey and 0 wax

90 ql - .45 kg honey and 1 wax

53 ql - .11 kg honey and 0 wax

Other than a small factor of randomness, it seems flowers are simply horrible for honey production whereas pandalet wrote they would supposed to be the most effective for it.

90 ql hives on crops will produce about a full kilogram of honey per 24 hours. This number seems good. 95 ql hives on flowers produce 0.03 kg honey per 24 hours. This number seems bad.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

Sounds like they did the calculations in feet but programmed the beehives in meters.

Or something to that effect. Budda, go back to nasa, eh? ?

(We need to perfect bees, devs. Only then can we make the best mead.)

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:23 PM, Makarus said:

Sounds like they did the calculations in feet but programmed the beehives in meters.

Or something to that effect. Budda, go back to nasa, eh? ?

(We need to perfect bees, devs. Only then can we make the best mead.)

That poor, poor little Mars Climate Orbiter.

It just wanted to go to Mars...

• Like 1