Sign in to follow this  
Evilvision

Need to Rethink Wiki editing.

Seems like ever since editing the wiki has been relegated to a handful of people it keeps getting more and more out of date. I dare say looks like more things have been deleted than added. Perhaps the team needs to be expanded or just go back to the way it used to be. Well maybe not more and more out of date but always lagging behind long after updates. There is always someone working on updating it but really more man power would not hurt.

Edited by Evilvision
  • Like 3

There has been a ton of activity on the wiki, to all pages. I'd suggest checking out the recent changes link to see how active the team is.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500&days=30

The issue is balancing manpower with correct information, which in the past did not happen that fluently. Our focus moving from here on is ensuring that information that does wind up in the wiki is accurate, and we address past inaccuracies within the wiki.

If you, or anyone else would like to apply, we have the application link here: http://goo.gl/forms/Flo0Jq2WQxKuADPP2

• Like 1

I've found lots of new achievement titles, but going through the hassle of contacting a wiki mod every time one pops up just isn't worth the trouble just to keep the page au jour. Before I just added it to the page myself which was simple enough, but now I get the feeling that the best thing would just be to remove that page altogether. The same goes for a lot of the curiousity pages, which is a shame since the game's always been able to keep fairly up-to-date on things before (with the exception for all the factual errors, of course).

• Like 1

What might work well is if there was a section of the forums that was labeled "wiki notes"   A place where people can list what they have discovered and how.  Then a member of the wiki team can read and annotate, and respond to the post.

6 minutes ago, Tallios said:

What might work well is if there was a section of the forums that was labeled "wiki notes"   A place where people can list what they have discovered and how.  Then a member of the wiki team can read and annotate, and respond to the post.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/119-wurmpedia-wiki-maintenance/

A place to submit potential new information for the Wiki and/or discuss current wiki updates.

• Like 1

I agree. I don't know exactly what needs to be done with the wiki, but what is happening now is definitely not working. I don't even use the wiki much anymore because the majority of what I need is either outdated or not on it yet, and it would be great if this could change.

4 minutes ago, Attenia said:

I agree. I don't know exactly what needs to be done with the wiki, but what is happening now is definitely not working. I don't even use the wiki much anymore because the majority of what I need is either outdated or not on it yet, and it would be great if this could change.

one thing that would help is to eliminate the separation of the wiki and the in-game help

2 hours ago, Tallios said:

one thing that would help is to eliminate the separation of the wiki and the in-game help

Better wiki integration is included in the major UI overhaul, so that is coming.

Just to clarify though, essentially anyone and everyone can have an account, provided they have played more than 30 days and are in good standing. (there are always a few exceptions for various reasons). Our goal with this is to be able to keep track of who has a wiki account and who is using it, not to limit it to staff only or anything of the sort.

There are elevated positions within the wiki team which are now considered staff, but for general wiki updating it's unrelated and does not have the same requirements.

We also have #wurmpedia on IRC, in which many wiki editors hang in and of course the wiki maintenance section of the forums, so there's plenty of ways to post information to add to the wiki or apply to do it yourself.

Hell, with WU and all these script kiddies running around the devs might aswell just update the wiki after every update with exactly how everything works.   We all know the script kiddies are going to ruin the discovery aspect of every update eventually.   Might aswell take out the middle script kiddie and ruin the fun right from the start.

3 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Hell, with WU and all these script kiddies running around the devs might aswell just update the wiki after every update with exactly how everything works.   We all know the script kiddies are going to ruin the discovery aspect of every update eventually.   Might aswell take out the middle script kiddie and ruin the fun right from the start.

despite your misuse of the term script kiddies, all information in the wiki needs to be verifiable in wurm online, we do not use wurm unlimited code as examples as it is modified in many ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

despite your misuse of the term script kiddies, all information in the wiki needs to be verifiable in wurm online, we do not use wurm unlimited code as examples as it is modified in many ways.

Script kiddie, someone who uses existing code, lacking the knowledge to create their own.   I know the term often applies to wanna be hackers, but it fits in broad terms for every script kiddie who reads game code rather then actually playing the game.
I'm going to use your post though, you've just admitted that WU and WO are not the same.
 I like teasing the script kiddies, because it makes them mad.   Never thought I'd see you going off topic as the PR guy to correct my use of it and detour a thread though.....
But again you miss the point of the OP of this thread, and are actually derailing it....

Back to the OP, sorry my comment lead to your thread getting derailed, it was not my intent.

2 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Script kiddie, someone who uses existing code, lacking the knowledge to create their own.   I know the term often applies to wanna be hackers, but it fits in broad terms for every script kiddie who reads game code rather then actually playing the game.
I'm going to use your post though, you've just admitted that WU and WO are not the same.
 I like teasing the script kiddies, because it makes them mad.   Never thought I'd see you going off topic as the PR guy to correct my use of it and detour a thread though.....
But again you miss the point of the OP of this thread, and are actually derailing it....

Back to the OP, sorry my comment lead to your thread getting derailed, it was not my intent.

A more accurate definition or common usage:

noun

informal derogatory

noun: script kiddie; plural noun: script kiddies; noun: script kiddy

a person who uses existing computer scripts or code to hack into computers, lacking the expertise to write their own.

By its very definition or usage, a script kiddie would be unable to understand the vast majority of the WO sourcecode. Granted high level programming languages of the 4th level and higher begin to have greater common "readability", hence a beginner would have some flashes of what is going on here and there.

However, a general understanding (being able to read a particular algorithm) inherently implies being able to write such oneself.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2016 at 9:51 PM, Evilvision said:

Seems like ever since editing the wiki has been relegated to a handful of people it keeps getting more and more out of date.

Tons of outdated information has been removed and updated recently, and limiting wiki editing prevents more misleading information from being added. If there's something you feel is outdated, just post anyone with wiki-editing permission, or a thread on the Wurmpedia maintenance forum. If nobody actually tells us what's wrong, it's a bit harder to fix!

It is indeed slower to update the wiki with new information when there's more quality control involved, but that's a good thing overall. You won't believe some of the weird, unfounded or outdated stuff I've seen on the wiki, and it's good that we'll have far less of that going forward.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

i for one edit wiki a lot. you gota understand it take time and hours sometimes to get it to look like it dos. i dont get payed . im not any kind of cm or ca. im just a player that wants to see this game get better and help people. so i take time out of my day to work on this for newer and others players. if you see info that is wrong or missing . post on wiki part of forums,or even pm me ingame. There are a lot of us that go out of are way to do all this pages and updates.

WE need you to do your part to..so step up..

report the info the error anything ya see that is wrong or missing

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Lisabet said:

As Retrograde stated twice in this thread, anyone can apply for a wurmpedia account and help bring it up to date.  Just click the below link and get started. :) 

Wurmpedia Account Request Form

They made such a big deal about that though when they remodelled it, as if you signed up to become a designated wiki monkey if you applied for moderation rights, and everyone who had access had really over-the-top plaques on the forums. I think that initial hang-up on status deterred many from applying, plus it caused some serious confusion about whether or not it's an affiliation with the Wurm team or if it's just a security measure.

• Like 1

The link I posted on my reply is for the user and editor versions of a wiki account; the original link that Retrograde posted is the Wurmpedia Assistant version, which is a staff position.

*edit* The Editor version has this description: allows general edits and maintenance of the Wurmpedia, Image upload is not possible 

Edited by Lisabet

My ingame account is not old enough to apply for more than a generic account with no power.. It makes me a bit sad that all this motivation is going to waste due to the requirements, I hope I'm as interested after the 30 day mark. 

Although I completely understand why these regulations are put into place, there should be no room for false or inaccurate information on the wiki.

0fe51f64cad3483fbf9ea8a56d93729d.jpeg

Edited by Legios

6 minutes ago, Lisabet said:

The link I posted on my reply is for the user and editor versions of a wiki account; the original link that Retrograde posted is the Wurmpedia Assistant version, which is a staff position.

*edit* The Editor version has this description: allows general edits and maintenance of the Wurmpedia, Image upload is not possible 

I see, thank you for the clarification. I honestly had no idea that there was a staff/non-staff distinction between the two different account types.

• Like 1

There are many methods discussed in this thread on how to help us keep the wurmpedia up to date even if you do not have/are not able to have a wurmpedia account at this time.  Any and all help is appreciated :) 

Honestly things change at such a rapid rate in this game now, that I feel like experience within the game itself would have almost nothing to do with how accurate your information would be.

I've played this game for ~8 years, and within the past 6 months, I feel like I know almost nothing anymore about how the game works.

That said I do strongly believe there are certain KINDS of information that SHOULD be posted to the wiki by the devs, prior to the release of a patch even if necessary. Simply because there have been so many cases where a mechanic was not working as intended and noone knew for years because noone knows how the mechanic is even intended to work in the first place.

2 minutes ago, whereami said:

Honestly things change at such a rapid rate in this game now, that I feel like experience within the game itself would have almost nothing to do with how accurate your information would be.

I've played this game for ~8 years, and within the past 6 months, I feel like I know almost nothing anymore about how the game works.

That said I do strongly believe there are certain KINDS of information that SHOULD be posted to the wiki by the devs, prior to the release of a patch even if necessary. Simply because there have been so many cases where a mechanic was not working as intended and noone knew for years because noone knows how the mechanic is even intended to work in the first place.

i dont think them posting on wiki would help but puting in patch notes would help alot us who do update wiki to make sure its posted right