Sign in to follow this  
Zekezor

Meditation Rework

Prenote:

Terms such as "Offensive CR" and "Defensive CR" are used throughout the suggestion. This does not necassairly mean actual CR codewise but rather modifiers that gives bonus hit chance for offensive actions or miss chance for defensive actions that would equate to the CR mentioned.

Basics

All 5 paths (Love, Hate, Insanity, Power, Knowledge) got their own individual passives.

These passives scale linearly based on player level starting with level 2. (10 levels in total)

Meditation abilities are not dispellable... since they arent spells.

The max cooldown between path levels is reduced to 1 week and thus lets players experiment with diffrent paths without feeling they are horribly gimped by doing so. The skill level is what truly restricts the player.

Love performs 3x healing for all non-spell sources. (+20% per level. This includes cotton, lifetransfer, regen and mycelium absorbation)

Hate gets 20% dmg bonus and 20% offensive cr bonus. (2% per level. does not stack with passive faith bonuses.)

Insanity gets 20% dmg reduction (2% per level.)

Power gets 30% stamina reduction (3% per level)

Knowledge gets 25% skill increase (2.5% per level)

Now with that out of the way, here comes the fun stuff.

Each path has 4 abilities that are choosen when to unlock.

New ability choices are given at level 4, 7, 9, 11.

One ability is unlocked at a time.

Love

Refresh

Unchanged.

Enchanted tile

same functionality except that enchanted tree tiles yield 3x harvest.

Love effect

When used on the ground it makes all hostiles in local friendly for 10 minutes. If used towards a specific non-unique non-tamed non-valrei non-human creature it will perform a strong charm/dominate effect and turn it into a pet. Includes unusual types of creatures that normally cant be turned into pets, like whales and kingdom animals. (sidenote: You can currently ride aquatic creatures like crocodiles in water. Human and Humanoid isn't the same thing.)

Cooldowns are unchanged.

Soothing presence

Permanent aggro-range reducing buff (similar to the newbie buff). Also makes taming and breeding easier.

Power

Erupt/Freeze

Allows the creation of lava on rock/cliff tiles aswell as turning lava into rock. Same timers as currently but domain influence doesn't matter. Erupt only works inside your own kingdom like currently.

Erupt can also be used on forges and ovens. Thereby lighting the oven/forge, fueling it and turning all items inside them searing hot.

Freeze can be used on any container and instantly cools all content within.

Elemental Immunity / Lava Walker

Passive buff that gives permanent 50% reduction to all sources of fire, ice, acid and water.

Active 30 minute ability with 3h cooldown. 50% reduction to all sources of fire, ice, acid and water.

(the passive and active ability stack as additions. thus giving full immunity togheter)

Might

2 hour ability with 4h cooldown. 50% increased carrying capacity and 50% longer stuns.

Wanderer

60% stam reduction for movement (includes walking, swimming, riding, sailing, climbing, dragging). Does not stack with the level-based passive.

Knowledge

Get Info

Combination of level 1 and 3 get info.

Thus giving general information, affinities and carrying weight all at once.

Also gives +4CR in combat against that specific target for the user.

1h cooldown and the effect last 15 minutes.

Survey Area

Slightly modified Get info level 3.

Informs you of all creatures and settlements in local aswell as showing all tracks of the past 3 wurm days (same as tracking) at your location.

1h cooldown.

No skill loss

Unchanged.

Attention to detail

Passive that gives +2 radius for prospecting/analyzing, 10% higher chance for rarity rolls to succeed and +2 passive CR.

Hate

Rage

Rage: Gives 4x increased damage from bashing and 25% dmg bonus to siege engines for 15 minutes. 1h cooldown.

Frenzy

+50% attack speed and -35% defensive CR for 1 minutes. 15 minute cooldown. (also modifies minimum swing timers)

Roar

Turns all agressive entities in local passive against the character for 2 minutes and breaks their combat with the character. (This includes guards and kingdom animals)

Also provides 2 defensive cr for the duration. 30 min cooldown. Targeted at the ground.

Hatred

Passively adds a 1 minute debuff to anything that hurts you.

If the person who gave the debuff attack the person/creature with the debuff they receive +2 offensive CR.

Insanity

Break Reality

Teleports the character to a random tile on the server, heals all wounds, removes all spell effects, gives a 10 minute +25% speed boost and +5 CR. Also performs a Fill effect. Same restrictions as normal teleports. Makes the eyes of the user go black for the duration of the effect.

Unstable

Passively gives 15% dmg reduction in two resistances that shifts to random new ones every minute.

Imagination

Activated ability that removes the largest wound of the user and gives single-target spell immunity for 5 minutes. 45 min cd. Also spawns 2 random insanity illusions that only the user sees.

Nightmare

Activated ability that spawns a neutral shadow being (translucent and black shaded fog spider, wolf or wraith) that attack the closest hostile entity with the power of a dominated troll and dissapear after 30 seconds. 30min cooldown.

Summary

• Poor abilities removed
  • New abilities added
  • Choices
  • Rewards the player from the get go and keeps giving more things as skill and level progress. Thus keeping it very newbie friendly
  • More choices in how the player wish to progress and if they want to try a new path after achieving high skill it wont take long to get high meditation level again.
Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 32

I have knowledge.  I don't see the skill gain in there.....put it back!

• Like 4

Just now, Pashka said:

7 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

???

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pashka said:

8 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Basics

All 5 paths (Love, Hate, Insanity, Power, Knowledge) got their own individual passives.

These passives scale linearly based on player level starting with level 2. (10 levels in total)

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 4

cant do more than +1 this honestly

this actually seems like a system that makes sense overall and the paths seem viable, all of em

• Like 2

This is the first time I've seen a "meditation rework" make sense and I guess we can argue "oh this path might be x over this path" but actually, I could be any one of these paths and find a good pvp use. Good work zeke

• Like 4

Guess I thought you were saying all they would get is what is listed below them.  What some people aren't thinking about is that there are a few (bless their insane heads) that have a very high level of meditation.  Much higher than say the 25% you'd get from 10 levels of meditation in knowledge.  Suppose I need to look at the others a bit closer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pashka said:

Much higher than say the 25% you'd get from 10 levels of meditation in knowledge.  Suppose I need to look at the others a bit closer.

18 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

I intentionally decided to not touch any meditation mechanics past 11 with the meditation rework. There is a good ability at 12 (teleport) and some junk attack abilities further beyoned that, but they aren't important to the balance changes needed currently.

However they can with ease be modified in the future... for instance simply allowing 5 ability choices per path and throwing in a new ability choice at some level past 12.

Edited by Zekezor

+1

The ability to pick what actives/passives along with the incremental bonus makes it more way more balanced across the levels

• Like 1

I guess a question worth asking; who would switch of insanity after reading this? Because the main argument seems to be with every suggestion "insanity is still the better path"

• Like 1

Id still stay insanity, but it at least makes other paths viable. Id stay simply because im lazy and i enjoy being a least somewhat tanky and going ballsdeep. Simply my playstyle, not because its necessarily more op than other paths with this change

Edited by Kendall17

6 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

I guess a question worth asking; who would switch of insanity after reading this? Because the main argument seems to be with every suggestion "insanity is still the better path"

if the case is still that pvpers flock to insanity, then a slight buff can be made to other paths or simply flick that little 20% into 15% and see what happends. :rolleyes:

I'm also keeping the non-pvp benefits of the paths in mind. Some paths have lovely bonuses outside the actual fighting and thus offer tempting bonuses.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

+1
I like this pretty much. Makes it more interesting for players with lower meditation, without taking away what makes the pathes unique.

To the pvp problem, I can't really imagine anything that will make insanity less often used whithout taking away the damage reduction or giving it to the other pathes as well while reworking insanity completely.
But these suggestions seem like a good step in the right direction :) 

I'd probably go power; and the cool thing is - the path switch will be faster to allow different playstyles to be explored. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cayce said:

To the pvp problem, I can't really imagine anything that will make insanity less often used whithout taking away the damage reduction or giving it to the other pathes as well while reworking insanity completely.

In the end a lot of people are concerned for their own well-being. Some to a higher extent than others.

Thus a lot of people choose abilities that let them personally live longer rather than abilities that shortens the lifespan more greatly of the enemy.

If thats the mindset then it wont matter how slim the bonus to survival is. :)

But as the benefits of other paths increase, those survival bonuses become less incentive.

But hey, if ya dont like your choices repicking path is simple with the max 1-week change. (not to mention partial passive gain and choosable level choices)

Level Delay to reach Delay to Reach New
0 None None
1 12 hours 12 hours
2 36 hours 36 hours
3 4 Days 12 hours 4 Days 12 hours
4 10 Days 12 hours 10 Days 12 hours
5 22 Days 12 hours 17 Days 12 hours
6 46 Days 12 hours 24 Days 12 hours
7 70 Days 12 hours 31 Days 12 hours
8 94 Days 12 hours 38 Days 12 hours
9 118 Days 12 hours 45 Days 12 hours
10 142 Days 12 hours 52 Days 12 hours
11 166 Days 12 hours 59 Days 12 hours
Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

I think I like most of it, have to think on it.  From a quick read it looks like a lot of buffing to hate path, maybe too much especially with the double main passives where other paths only have the one main passive.  Not sure how I feel about losing fill on its own, probably nothing to care about with ccfp

For what it's worth I'd probably stay insanity, I like the insanity idea of it (was the first path I chose when I started wurm and didn't even know sotg was a thing) and the changes making it more fitting to insanity, usually tanking things/hunting a lot so dr is handy, and it's so much nicer to spam meditate for days in your mine watching stuff (to get 19th).  I'm not just that though, other prem account is hate (12th) so I'd be experiencing both "pvp" paths fully.  No other premium accounts, just enchant grass alts

An addition to the rework though is to end the difficulty of making a path tile.  What is the point in them being hard (especially hate...)?  No need, they don't disappear normally so

Love: Change to any single tile with flowers is always a love tile

Insanity:  Change to any single mine tile is always an insanity tile

Knowledge:  Change to any single paved tile is always a knowledge tile

Hate:  Change to any single thorn tile is always a hate tile

No more weird restrictions regarding area size, height, mycellium, nothing.  Just simple, anyone can make anywhere they want

• Like 8

Well thought out, hope this will get the attention it deserves and implemented.

14 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

An addition to the rework though is to end the difficulty of making a path tile.  What is the point in them being hard (especially hate...)?  No need, they don't disappear normally so

Love: Change to any single tile with flowers is always a love tile

Insanity:  Change to any single mine tile is always an insanity tile

Knowledge:  Change to any single paved tile is always a knowledge tile

No more weird restrictions regarding area size, height, mycellium, nothing.  Just simple, anyone can make anywhere they want

This is the reason i never bothered to remain hate for a long enough period. Every time id go down to path up, tiles changed (i was too lazy to make an enclosure to prevent issues). And sometimes simplifying something is a good thing :)

21 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Would I be taking damage the entire time I meditate?

+1 to making hate tiles easier to make, shouldn't need a bl tower + bl altar + priest and need to fix it every week or so