Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Upgrade underside of roofs and floors

I love the looks we have of many of the floors and roofs, from the top side.  However, from underneath, it is very rough and unfinished looking, like you would only have in a barn, or crawl space in a basement.  I would love to have a few choices of finishing treatments to apply to the underside of the roofs and floors.  Plaster, fine carp, detailed stone work, repainting, etc.

Maybe when starting the floor of a certain type (such as Stone Slab), you then have to choose an underside finish: none, plaster, box wood, beams, logs, clay tile, marble, mosaic stone, etc.  For plaster and the wood options, should then be able to paint the plaster (also between the beams) to really liven up the insides of our houses.

Would need to add extra materials to complete.   Might also want to make it a stand alone option that could be applied to existing ceilings (roofs and floors), so folks don't have to rip and replace.

• Like 10

Yeah, it would be nice to be make actual ceilings, and be able to put them underneath an overhead floor/roof.

Yes yes hurry obi dev kinobi, you're our only gope.

+7. One for each alt. Also +1vote from a dead friend who would be alive to this day if that ceiling timber jadn't knocked his forehead inwards. We need fonished ceilings. Totes.

• Like 1

Oh, it would also be nice if roofs could go straight on top of a floor/ceiling with no wall in between, for something similar to attic space, and so you can have a flat ceiling on the top floor with less space wasted above it.-

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Oh, it would also be nice if roofs could go straight on top of a floor/ceiling with no wall in between, for something similar to attic space, and so you can have a flat ceiling on the top floor with less space wasted above it.-

Like this?

Right-click ceiling with Hammer
Options
1. Build ceiling
IF (lowest corner = tall enough to walk)
2. Build attic
3. Build attic ladder

All options add a framework like the current build roof/floor, and have the same material options as floors.

1 hour ago, Darmalus said:

Like this?

Right-click ceiling with Hammer
Options
1. Build ceiling
IF (lowest corner = tall enough to walk)
2. Build attic
3. Build attic ladder

All options add a framework like the current build roof/floor, and have the same material options as floors.

Or not even that. Just give you the option to plan a roof even if there are no walls, and have it slope up directly from that floor, sort of like this:

stupid-wurm-roof-thing.png

Forgive my terrible MS Paint mockup here, but in this case you've got a ground floor with walls and flooring, a second floor with walls and flooring, and a third floor that's only flooring, and then a roof built immediately over that floor. The green lines represent the rough area that would be walkable (anything with enough overhead clearance), with openings on the second and third floors. Or stairs. Whichever. Or eliminate that top ladder and just use that third story floor as a sort of ceiling if you want.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

Yea it would be nice to have a few *ceiling* types added to the game so they could be used to eliminate those vast roof interiors of wide buildings. Could just be on the same principle as building floors per tile with a variety of designs.

=Ayes=

bump

I've designed something quite nice in DP but it's really let down by the framed paneling effect when u look at it from the ground floor.
There's no way around it without covering up the inner walls with outer ones. 

+1, I'm having this issue with my residential areas.

+1 always anoyed me how ugly cealings are. +1 for rofs directly on flors for attic space

This would even damage the medieval feel of wurm more than already is the case now.

+1

Here are some ideas I posted about plaster that might tie in to this.

As for keeping things medieval, plasters in various forms have been around for thousands of years. Simple, mud-based ones have probably been used on interiors since people started building huts.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2017 at 8:22 AM, Chlodovech said:

This would even damage the medieval feel of wurm more than already is the case now.

I totally get your point, but I should point out that there were plenty of really elaboratly finished ceilings in medieval times.  Ceiling quality is not really a factor of the age of mankind, but more about the prosperity, during any of the ages.  Finished ceilings were strictly a luxury.  Settlers in the wild rarely had them in their 1 room shacks, but many of the multi-room, multi-floor buildings did.  Applying finished ceilings should probably be time consuming and require higher skills.  Hopefully not paving!

Speaking of paving, I've always been disappointed that paving is the skill required to put flooring in buildings.  If wood floors, it should be carpentry.  If stone, should be masonry. I'd never go hire a road builder to put the floor in on level 8 of my house.

• Like 4

+1 for ceilings! I've thought this many times, thanks for voicing the idea publicly!

How about just having the "build floor above" option appear after the roof is built? Maybe or maybe not make that floor accessible then if clearance or coding allows.

=Ayes=

+1 and could be like Ayes says but have no opening option for floor if roof is detected above.

• Like 1

I wan't to +1 this so bad, but I know I'll never get around to doing it, so I'll +1 it anyway. My laziness should not prevent anyone from enjoying a ceiling over their heads :)