Sign in to follow this  
MaurizioAM

Damage Reduction Revisited...

the only thing I don't understand is why such a huge bonus at level 7, and not 10% at 7 9 and 11?  with 2/3rd of the level 11 ability being given at something that requires 30 skill at one week to get (vs like half a year) and half the advance time as level 11, it feels like the level 11 bonus of insanity isn't really there now, and all features of insanity are a worthless gimmick and it just has a passive ability that doesn't care about making sense instead

nvm i read too fast after waking up, sounds better re-reading it

Edited by MrGARY

It's about time a change like this is being made. Would be nice to see lower levels getting some love. Let's see how long it takes before we see some actual balance to the rest of meditation. 

Why do we have DR at all? Because it increases effective health, because in a hit point based system when you hit zero you die and getting 1 or 2 shot isn't fun for anyone, new or old.

So maybe, it's the hit point system that's the core of the problem.

A radical proposal would be a bleed based system. We still have hit points, but wounds don't deduct from it directly. Instead each wound has a bleed value, removing health over time and when you hit zero you die. But if you cap the maximum bleed rate, for example at 1% per second, then it will take nearly a minute and a half for even the most horribly battered player to drop dead. These numbers can be adjusted, and a sense of progression can come from having things like Body Strength reduce the effective bleed cap.

Just wanted to throw that out there, since maybe tinkering with DR by adding or remove a few percent here and there may not be the solution.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

no thanks try it on a wurm unlimited server instead

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Because it's easier to give slowly than take away. We'll keep an eye on how this goes.

Say that to my stamboner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Say that to my stamboner.

How long have you experienced this effect?

It may be time to call a doctor.

Darmalus, thats a great idea. Does it work for wurm? Idk.

But it could. If someone made it, i would test the heck outta it.

If they "bleed" to death, how would you kill somebody near a mine hop :P 

2 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

Bleed out.

Cut open a mans bowels. Watch.

It's time to cook.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

That's a good point. If damage is indirect, then healing should be as well. A treat/bandaged wound should stop bleeding, but the blood should take time to naturally heal.

So, death by inches?

• Like 1

Untreated wounds bleed more if area is in motion

Increased heart rate and all. Stress and blood pressure.

Stationary helps, but healing wouldnt be what we have now, would definately be more realistic.

Holy ###### first aid skill would be fun.

Cleaning wounds applying pressure sutres clotting agents(salt!!!)

Pass me the damn scalpel, soil is bleeding out and i want to make sure to harvest the organs in time.

This would be a interesting approach to solving DR issues.

Edited by Makarus
Excellsior!

55You have now made a healing game and that mostly what pvp would be about then..

Why try reinvent the wheel when there's a crooked one already made.. Add a few spokes in the right locations remove the bad one and it might very well be a good wheel. 

Lots of good suggestions but anything that is not taking advantage of current systems only means we wait longer to get anything done. People are not coming back in mass but they are still leaving.

• Like 2

As it was brought up, i've seen the numbers for how effective first aid skill is in wurm and its honestly hilariously poor. It is without a doubt, completely pointless to bother grinding it high.

The whole point of a path is to devote yourself to one mission, path of love is healing, path of insanity is damage reduction, and thats about the only useful thing you get because after 70 med, all the paths are the same, and path of insainity gets a magical teleport that has killed me more times than enki's banned hashirama.  not to mention the one wound heal we get that we almost never use, and the fact that our stupid coughing and twitching can give away stealth traps.  Paths are fine now after the nerf, dont need to give everyone dmg reduction because then no one is going to get killed in pvp.

21 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

Dont worry Hoppy, freedomers cant die to pvp :)

Freedom kingdom on chaos=freedomers die to pvp\

lel

kek 

gg

memes

Edited by Hoppy

3 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

lol cant be a kingdom without a king so........

democracy 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:

In tomorrows update we'll be taking an initial step of scaling SotG according to path level, starting at level 7 with 20% of the 30% DR (6% DR).

Each level will then add a further 6% up until the full 30% at level 11.

Hopefully this does lessen the "six month" requirement on PvP and reward newer players as they advance, we'll keep an eye out and continue to monitor what else can be addressed.

What about scaling the rest of paths to be fair? Like PoK get "starting at level 7 with 20% of the 25% skill (5% skill), and etc." 

2 hours ago, polarbear said:

What about scaling the rest of paths to be fair? Like PoK get "starting at level 7 with 20% of the 25% skill (5% skill), and etc." 

Will be looked at later with full med rework, this change is just to try out changes to do with DR in pvp.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Egard said:

Last time you messed with meditation you gave a one time path switch. Will the same be done this time ? A one time switch to insanity for people on other paths to take advantage of this new progressive system. 

@Budda

4 hours ago, Rhianna said:

lol cant be a kingdom without a king so........

I didnt vote for 'im

Edited by Makarus
spellammer cheque.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Budda said:

Will be looked at later with full med rework, this change is just to try out changes to do with DR in pvp.

Please consider different DR % given to each med path along with tweaked abilities or else we will be singing the same song and dance 6 months after any update.  Even zeke's new rework post is still flawed and with an even lower DR for SOTG... 30% is fine as long as other paths gain a % of DR that makes sense along with their abilities. 

Keep lowering DR and you'll have to balance wraps and armor next. Don't give a % of a % of DR to all paths and you remain 1 sided no matter what you do. 

These changes could all be done over a weekend since mostly everything stays intact.. We get to test and if its not great well a rework of it all will then be necessary. But it would at least be a start.

Edited by MaurizioAM