Sign in to follow this  
Tovarishtito

Mailbox issues

So the items return after 2 weeks?  That's horrible!

Let me explain:

I sell something and I want the trade completed  within 30 minutes or an hour tops.

If the recipient logs out for whatever reason, and doesn't return for a few days, I would either use the stuff I was selling, or I could sell the stuff to someone else.

Time is money people say, and they are incorrect, money can be returned, time cannot !  So time is more than money is, whatever the amount.

I just mailed something, we were both online, and I foolishly expected the person will buy it asap, but no, he logged out!  

This mailbox "feature" can be easily used for disabling the competition, example: (someone is selling something cheaper than me, I simply log in with an alt, and order the stuff, I won't buy it, or send it back either, competition is now disabled for 2 WHOLE WEEKS!) , very easy it is not?

The sender has no option to choose a shorter time, or to demand the item/s back.  I see no reason for 2 weeks, maybe 3 days or 1 week max would be reasonable, but an option to choose a shorter time (an hour, or 24 hours), by the sender would be even better. The only benefit for the 2 weeks automatic return time as it is, is for free item storage without decay, sending the items to own alt, and not receiving them, and of course to disable trade competition.

I seriously doubt there is anyone actually needing  the 2 weeks time for trade. Please, DO change this nonsense!

P.S.

It would be very practical to be able to see the transaction history of the ingame bank account, and the mail service.  

If I want to check if an item was sold or not, I must keep my bank balance memorized, to notice the difference. Also I would like to wiew the history of my trades, whom I traded with, and for how much.

Just give more bank storage to compensate the mail storage people were using by exploiting the nonsense, so no one looses anything (just to avoid the complaining), and we all get a more fair gameplay.

This is more of a complaint than a suggestion, so I don't know if I posted it on the correct location (I'm rather new here), so if anyone has a suggestion to post this somewhere else please say so.

Edited by Tovarishtito
  • Like 1

How about a "Recall Package" option that lists all mail you have out. Then, you can pay a fee ( lets keep it cheap at 50 irons + the original 1 copper to have it returned to you. Limit it so the mail has to have been "out for delivery" for more than a day.  "Out for delivery" = The mail is waiting for the person it was sent to to pick it up & not still enroute.

This would be kind of like redirecting mail via UPS or Fed-Ex. 

• Like 1

100% agree. It's such a shame there is so little support for trading as it is. No market, no trade history, and this huge gap of time where somebody can just screw you over by holding your goods.

While I feel 30 minutes is extreme for the default, a sliding scale of options for when you send mail would seem to be appropriate.

Mailing in general needs to be looked at for serious quality of life issues, I avoid it as much as possible simply because there are no logging options, I have no idea what's happening with stuff I send. Much easier to deliver in person, if annoying.

Make people pay security, half cost up front half when job finished. This way they can't screw you.

Okay, we are playing Wurm and many things don't relate that well to the same action in RL but if you mail something it does take a considerable time before your parcel

is being RTS if not collected. 2 weeks sounds pretty reasonable to me in that light. so a -1 from me to shorten the RTS timer.

However I give a huge +100 to having mail history to see what what mail has been collected etc. (like a tracking facility we use all the time in RL)

I would go as far as to log and display the amount of notifications that was sent to the recipient that there is mail waiting for him. Indirectly see when last he/she

has logged in. Hell we can even go 1 step further and notify the sender (if he is online) that a notification we send. That way we can query the recipient why he is taking

so long because he will needs to be online to get the notification.

I have a feeling the PvP'ers will cry "exploit" here because you can send something to an enemy and get notified every time the enemy logs in until the mail item is collected/rejected. 

So don't implement this on Epic/Chaos. ;) 

+1 to history and bank size and all that. but:

If you want somebody to pick up the mail ASAP, say it, don't expect it by default.

Honeslty I feel 12-48 hours is long enough to accept a mail.  Late night purchase, np can log on after 10 hours of sleep to accept, 2 day work weekend, ok 48 hours to accept. 

Person not accepting after that should be charged the cod, or mailing fee to send it back.  Will teach folks to order something sent via mail and accept it within a decent amount of time.

• Like 1

I think there should be a 24 hour or a 3 day return...   just my opinion.

I'm fine with the 2 weeks, but logging option is really needed on mails AND merchants. I stopped using merchants to sell because of the burden of keeping track of what is sold. Mail status is quite the same, you need to dig up event log and guess on rhe bank amount changes.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

This issue is also a severe problem for new players / beginners who try to get into selling things, imagine this scenario happening to one of them? That would be a huge disincentive to play or craft to sell.

Sender should have the right to select from a range of expiration time. 12hrs to 3 weeks?

Edited by Roushi

I would love to see a history.  I have sent an item to XXX and it is still waiting to be picked up on XXX server.  This way you would be able to contact the person and ask them if there is a problem.  Let them know which server the mail is on in case they were traveling.  I do not think we should be able to see when someone logged in last or if they got a notification just because I have sent them a mail.  I think if I am interested enough to know I can send them a PM or a Forum message.  I do not think that I should be able to recall something though.  Think that would cause alot of problems too. 

Pashka. I'm interested, what problems could recalling an item cause in your opinion?  Afterall, a recalled item wouldn't be payed for yet, therefore the sender is still the owner technically.  If the receiver isn't interested to receive it, paying for it as agreed,

I see absolutely no reason a sender wouldn't be able to recall it (as it is the case now).

With "normal" transactions, recalling wouldn't be needed anyway, and it would never happen, unless the receiver would "stall" the procedure.

No one would send an item, just to recall it immediately afterwards for no reason (even if that would be possible), and even if that would happen, it would still not really be a bigger issue than not being able to, since the item would still belong to the sender.

I'm just trying to say that the owner should have some control over the item.

I don't support instant actions though, but an option to start a procedure for the item to start returning would be great, because I understand KillerSpike's point of "trying to keep it realistic", and I would like to "keep it realistic" too, but how long can mail travel over 32 kilometers of Xanadu or let's say less than 100  kilometers of entire Freedom cluster, even in medieval circumstances?

2 days in one direction? ok that's 4 days there and back. Let's add 2 more days of lying in the drawer at the post office, and we still don't get one week.

But one week would already be a lot better than 2 weeks. 

I'm seriously thinking of starting a player driven mail service :D , especially if enough people don't like the mailing system as Dinant doesn't , it could turn out useful.  If I do that, no one will ever have to wait 2 weeks for me, I promise :D , and recalling would be an option for the sender, as long as the receiver didn't pay yet, but I would charge the sender for that of corse. Well, CoD would have to be high enough to be worth it though, or the mail would have to wait a bit, for more mail to pile up, going to similar direction, but  I see it as doable.

I tell you that I will sell you an item for 1s.  You say Great! I send it in the mail.  Before it is picked up, I hear that I can get 2s for it from someone else.  If only I hadn't already mailed it to you.....Drat!  Oh yea.  You haven't picked it up.  I sneak back up to the mailbox and recall it.  I can then mail  it to the other person for 2s.  You go to pick up the mail and it isn't there.  Oh well.

I have never had an issue that I needed to recall an item.  I have had items that sat in the mail for various reasons.  Guess I don't see why I would need to recall it if I know that it has or hasn't been accepted. 

Still better than the option that reciever has at the moment, that is to order something, just to disable the competition, and never receive it.  

I say all power to the owner, if the sender decides to risk his/her reputation to recall it for a better profit, so be it.  

The receiver loses nothing in that case, except maybe a few minutes of time, getting to the mailbox for nothing, (and that is nothing compared to 2 weeks a sender could wait to get HIS/HER stuff back),

also the receiver could blacklist such sender, so I see no problem there.

And the problem you mention wouldn't exist at all, in case a recall option would only become available after some time, and not immediately after sending.

But to give an option to hold an item to someone that hasn't even payed anything at all, is really senseless.

Guess I have never seen anyone order something to disable competition.  I am not sure who would even do that.  And yes I have had to wait 2 weeks to get an item returned because of a few issues.  Most are kind enough to return though if there is a reason they cannot accept the item they ordered.

Honestly I had a case when I would  be better off using the item, or even selling it to someone else, rather than  letting it be unused in the mail for a longer period.

But I never needed an item to  wait  for me in the mail,

and even if I ever decide to buy stuff while offline, I won't let anyone wait for longer than 12 hours.

And thx for your advice zigozag, I started doing that, even if some find it unusual, I find the opposite (waiting) unusual :) 

Edited by Tovarishtito