Sign in to follow this  
Grumpysmith

Pack Animals

I responded to a post by sailingsuzye (below) about saddle bags, that I would like to see pack horses.  It was suggested that I start a new thread, so that's what I'm doing.

I have long thought that it was strange that in Wurm we do not have pack animals.  To me the easiest solution to this would be to allow to attach pack panniers to horses and then lead them.  Pack animals should be available to all players either being lead by a rider on a horse or someone on foot.  This would allow new players that can't ride horses or carts the ability to move a small amount of supplies, maybe 250kg without having to carry it in inventory.  They could still then out run many predators since they aren't carrying a bunch of weight.

This idea was brought back into focus for me recently with the removal of  crops as sacc'ing items for my Libilia Priest.  While Libilia as always had the option to sacrifice butchered items, the amount they weigh as always meant they were left behind due to the ease of using crops.  Along with using chopped veggies I now also collect butchered items and forage for all the new cooking items.  It doesn't take long to get a lot of weight in inventory.  Wandering around the back country on horseback is much easier than driving a cart.

While I think that using horses as the pack animal is the easiest for coding, there may be other issues that argue for another type of animal such as a mule or donkey to be used as pack animals.  This would provide for additional breeding options.  For more information on Horses vs Mules vs Donkeys then you ever wanted to know you can visit this site like I did :  http://luckythreeranch.com/lucky-three-ranch-training/mule-facts/

Comments?

• Like 5

+1 for pack animals or saddle bags.

Make it to where you can't ride the horse and have to lead the horse if too much in the bag, meaning the horse can't hold your weight with stuff in it's bags.  Make it the same as a backpack or large chest.

This is kind of a cool thing to have, but I honestly don't see it as a major help.  I'd use a pack horse while foraging to keep bags clean while leaded it then ride out back home.

Sounds great. +1

This would really help new players.

It would also be useful for travelers who don't want to maneuver a cart around that can't go up slopes of more than 20, while animals and players on foot can!

Edited by Roushi

At first i thought you meant pack as in Wolf pack.. which gets a +1 from me
but i figure this deserves a +1 as well 
:)

Was about to make same suggestion but found this so +1

Always for this in whatever scheme. Personally like saddlebags for riding a horse, and having a pack frame on another horse or other animal.

+1 to pack animals

And different animals (or animals with diferent traits) could dictate how much weight it can carry

• Like 1

+1, and i second what Rathgar says. I would hate to see horses hold as much as bulls or bisons... or a dominated troll.

+1, but:

leading has the issue that animals tend to unlead themselves by getting stuck on objects.

Please combine this with the 'you stop leading XYZ' message appearing in big green letters in the GUI, not only as a routine message.

A humanoid should be able to wear a backpack or something larger.