Sign in to follow this  
Yiraia

Water Quality

I am always one making specific things have more value. As of right you can take sea water (a tile you can catch sea related fish on) and it would be 100ql, "Perfect" for improving your tools, weapons, armor, and washing your clothing! I don't know about you but I am pretty sure sea water shouldn't be used as often as it is in wurm. Freshwater (a tile you can catch lake related fish from) are used often as well, The same water that has a bunch of fish releasing their waste into it, 100ql and perfect for washing clothes! Imo seawater should be 20ql, freshwater should be probably 30-40. Where do we get 100ql from then? Just like ores can vary from poor to utmost, pendulums could be used to find water sources that vary from 50-100ql. 

In addition, a method to clean the water. This isn't to raise ql, it would be to remove "damage". Water can contain bacteria so even from a well it could be damaged. Freshwater and seawater could damage too and be cleaned. Simply put the water in a cauldron and let it boil. Just like wooden items lose ql, the water will lose damage (not increase ql).

Why am i suggesting this? I like to do Jewelry smithing and I'm nearing 60 skill, so I would like to see one use of a normal pendulum rather than a way to get water if you aren't making a home near the ocean or a lake. Also, I live near a lake and the endless supply of water that is max ql makes water seem like not much of a big deal. We wash our clothes in the dirty water, improve tools, weapons, jewelry, all with the disgusting water from the lake. Last reason, adds value to water. 100ql hammers, 100ql whetstones, 100ql iron lumps, and 100ql pelts are worth more than 10c for sure, but 100ql water isn't worth 1i.

Side note: Just like theres a rod to turn a stone tile into an ore of your decision, (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Rod_of_transmutation) There could be a Rod used make a tile that a fountain or well can be made on

whether or not you do +1 or -1 I would like a reason. I'm gonna assume plenty of people who made harbors and don't know where fountains are would be rather annoyed with this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kadore said:

Just no.  There is no reason to add yet another chore.

You're right. I should have suggested that raw meat could be as good as a meal. Or that upon creating a tool it starts at 100ql. Doing anything in wurm in order to progress is extremely boring.

Yes, he was right.  If you really need more things to do in Wurm, come to my deed and chip bricks.  That is all.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Yes, he was right.  If you really need more things to do in Wurm, come to my deed and chip bricks.  That is all.

I didn't expect you to be so lazy? Chugging sea water as well?

Nah, I prefer the barrel I'm using to blacksmith with.  Helps ensure my daily allotment of iron :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Why am i suggesting this? I like to do Jewelry smithing and I'm nearing 60 skill, so I would like to see one use of a normal pendulum rather than a way to get water if you aren't making a home near the ocean or a lake.

The motivation of making a profit at others expense is always a strong lure in making suggestions of this type within Wurm. Players will always lobby for their own particular advantages. The problem with this particular suggestion is that it makes a now simple process of obtaining 100.00 QL water much more difficult (if not close to impossible) for all other players.

Yea, you may make a few silvers but at the expense of others who will not be happy about these extra impositions. Beyond that there is no real need to modify water in this manner when it is now convenient to obtain and works perfectly well for the uses it is put to.

=Ayes=

To much focus on making things more difficult without any added benefit for most of the player base.

-1 for me for your idea, but I am sure a water rework could be done I just wouldn't support doing it like you suggested.

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

The motivation of making a profit at others expense is always a strong lure in making suggestions of this type within Wurm. Players will always lobby for their own particular advantages. The problem with this particular suggestion is that it makes a now simple process of obtaining 100.00 QL water much more difficult (if not close to impossible) for all other players.

Yea, you may make a few silvers but at the expense of others who will not be happy about these extra impositions. Beyond that there is no real need to modify water in this manner when it is now convenient to obtain and works perfectly well for the uses it is put to.

=Ayes=

Its not specifically for me, its for all the jewelry smithers (a very small population for a reason) that are out there. and 100QL items are difficult to get in general unless its a corpse or water. Besides when was this game about making people happy :) veg sac has been nerfed (jumps for joy)

Hello, could I possibly salvage this idea?

I agree to an extent with the original poster.  

1. Water is incredibly easy to get.
  2. Never decays.
  3. If near the water table, infinite amounts are on tap.

Now, I'm not looking to make life hard for a profit.  Or make everyone's day feudal.  So I would like to make a group of suggestions that could be implemented all, some or none.

• Change all exposed water to a less than pure resource.  This could be altered by tile types in the immediate area, ocean connection, etc.
  • Change all "water tiles" to have different flow rates and quality levels. Allow water tiles to shift similar to ore veins, but this shift is once in a great while; typically when there is mining in the immediate area which could alter water quality and flow.
  • Allow for fountains to accumulate water from a "water tile".
  • Fountains and tubs should have an evaporation/leak rate based on season and quality of container.
  • Water left in barrels will decay quality slowly over time based on barrel quality.  You can always have water, but it may not be clean or healthy.
  • Wells should always produce 1 bucket's worth of water when used.  The quality of the water could be limited by well quality, additionally the speed at which a well produces the water should be effected by height above water table and well quality.
  • The lower quality the water, the higher the sickness chance should be from drinking.

This would give options, and reasons to keep clean water available.  Additionally this would separate functions of wells and fountains.  A well costs infinitely more than a fountain to produce than a fountain.  Thus it should always produce water, limited only by the quality of the well and the action timer.

Why not ask for something to make jewelry smithing better or more useful.  Why in hell does it always have to be.....oh let's see exactly what we can do to piss off an entire game by asking them to do yet another chore.  Guess that would be too difficult a concept for people to grasp though.

• Like 1

There hasn't ever really been a use for water quality and I think its because the devs have no idea what to do with it.

I like your idea of expanding it though, we need fresh water, salt water, etc. I always hated how the water quality was 100 and in the early stages of WO you could drink practically anything without any worry. That should definitely change but I suppose it is all a matter of the roadblock preventing water tiles from being actual tiles and merely just being a "water level" across the entire map, which makes interacting with the water, from a developers standpoint, more difficult to say the least. Dirty water could definitely play a part in one of my really old suggestions for Wurm Online: SICKNESSES!~ If you are out in the snow for too long, boom cold, etc. This is one of the simulated facets of nature that Wurm has been missing for quite some time. People might be complaining about this idea, but if it is executed properly, there would be nothing to complain about because it would make the game more atmospheric and more immersive, which really is all any of us want! Imagine when you go "Big Fish" fishing that you are actually going to the salt-water ocean to fish for salt-water fish, or if you are fishing inland you are fresh-water fishing and thus only catch fresh water fish. Even my 2D version of wurm (unreleased) can do this, so there is no reason Wurm can't with a little effort, as well! This kind of immersion is only a plus, not a minus, not a con. This is one of the last big ticket items that Wurm Online needs, water revision!

Edited by Roushi

I made a desalination plant on my deed out of a large forge, some planks and lavender and now have salt free water.  Solved...

Edited by nicedreams

18 hours ago, Kadore said:

Why not ask for something to make jewelry smithing better or more useful.  Why in hell does it always have to be.....oh let's see exactly what we can do to piss off an entire game by asking them to do yet another chore.  Guess that would be too difficult a concept for people to grasp though.

I don't like talking about my favorite ideas, like adorning weapons and armor and enchanting the adorned items rather than the weapon or armor itself :D. I rather reasonable ideas that Only a pansy wouldn't agree to. Allows me to express my opinions and see who can't stand a slight challenge, but rather a reward

next thing you will say is a 1ql water skin is no good for holding 20ql water!  add value to waterskins make ql matter so noobs can't hold water in their crappy skins!

no this is really bad for gameplay.  klaas sandwich trees would add more value to gameplay

• Like 5

NO!

Don't need more meaningless middle steps or mundane tasks thank you!

just pretend all server are all islands in a big Fresh water lake and move on

• Like 1

Was thinking about this a bit.

More for jewelers can only be a good thing.  Not sure I'd want to stimulate the market by intentionally creating hardship, that's just going to make for sour customers even if they do need your wares.  On the other hand, value added is always a plus.

• Silverware.  Now that knives, forks and spoons have a new found use, why not have a silver version?  Not too uncommon for people to break out the silver for special occasions in RL. maybe in wurm, using high QL silver ware imparts certain bonuses. 
  • Silver Butcher knife.  See above.
  • Silver / Gold champagne flutes, wine goblets (may already exist?), etc. (noticed there was a beer stein, for example)
  • Gold teeth.  There's no toothbrush in-game, but there are teeth.  Do the math.
  • Silver and Gold mirrors !  make Niki happy ^_^
  • Silver and Gold wires.  For furniture inlays, or wrapped around handles for heirloom weapons, etc.
  • Thin (I mean very thin) gold sheets to wrap candy, confections, etc.
  • Seems like it's been a very, very long time since candelabras got any love.  More alternatives for indoor lighting would be well received I think.

Far as the water QL... Like others, I'm not a big fan of having to travel across the map just for good water.  There's only so much time in the day and my puppy can't hold it very long.  However,

• Let us use a still to purify water and raise its QL.  Also distills out salts, possibly other minerals.  I know stills are apparently slow, but that can be tweaked to make it less painful.  Would also give people who don't drink flammable liquids a good reason to enjoy a still at home.

Aside from that though, the year is 10xx.  How much pollution can there really be in most places?  Sure, after a battle, I wouldn't drink downstream.  I do really like the idea of a still for something non-alcohol related, and trying to sell a noob 100QL water would no longer be a mean joke.

Still think showing jewelry a bunch of love is a more positive approach though.

• Like 2