Sign in to follow this  
Alendhor

[Fixed] Active Beehive Empty After Transport

Hello,

A domestic hive I had planted next to a wild hive finally went active today (01 Dec 16). My character Liam loaded it onto a large cart and we set off back to my deed (Paradise Cove) on Newspring Island. The hive was on Xanadu mainland somewhat north and east of Maple Valley Retreat, probably west side of p11. When we arrived at the bay west of Maple Valley Retreat, q10, and unloaded the beehive, it was now an empty bee hive, applewood. I looked through the logs for both characters, but there is no mention of the bees leaving the hive:

[21:58:29] The active bee hive can not be taken when it has a queen in it, try loading it.
[21:59:59] You feel rested.
[22:02:02] You unlock the active bee hive.
[22:02:15] Liam starts to load the active bee hive.
[22:02:19] Liam finish loading the active bee hive.
[22:04:15] You leave the venerable fat Honeyclip.
[22:04:20] You ride on the "MVR One" as a passenger.
[22:04:47] The venerable fat Honeyclip now follows Liam.
[22:05:48] You hear bees, maybe you are getting close to a hive.
[22:06:45] The bees noise is getting louder, maybe you are getting closer to their hive.
[22:06:51] The sounds of bees decreases as you move further away from the hive.
[22:07:01] An aged scorpion stops following Liam.
[22:08:40] The bees noise is getting louder, maybe you are getting closer to their hive.
[22:08:43] The sounds of bees decreases as you move further away from the hive.
[22:10:38] The sounds of bees disappears in the distance.
[22:16:48] You are now too far away to attack an old wild cat.
[22:22:07] Liam drinks some water.
[22:22:17] The water is refreshing and it cools you down.
[22:24:28] You feel the presence of Magranon.
[22:25:22] You feel the presence of Vynora.
[22:26:51] You no longer feel the presence of Vynora.
[22:27:32] You feel the presence of Vynora.
[22:29:20] You hold a halberd in your two hands.
[22:29:25] You wear an open helm.
[22:30:23] Theria lost link.
[22:30:24] Theria left the world.
[22:30:27] You stop attacking.
[22:30:27] An old crocodile is dead. R.I.P.
[22:30:34] Liam gets a corpse of old crocodile.
[22:30:40] Liam drops a corpse.
[22:30:54] Liam starts to unload the empty bee hive from the "MVR One".
[22:30:58] Liam finishes unloading the empty bee hive from the "MVR One".

As you can see, the transport took about only 30 minutes, and there is no mention of the bees leaving the hive. Also, the bee hive is QL 55.01 and weighs 60.11 kg, and contained 0.11 kg of honey when I found it active. The honey is still in the hive. Hopefully you can help find out what happened to the bees.

Alendhor

• Like 1

Maybe you passed another empty domestic hive and they took off?

Seems odd for sure

After having observed a user loading and unloading active bee hives, I can state with confidence that it's not a general issue. Further investigation is required.

Moved 2 actives hives back to my deed without issues. Both had honey and sugar in them. One of the sugar dissapeared from the hive though.

My reading of the document indicates that bees need to be fed from time to time - they'll eat honey or sugar if it's there, with a preference for sugar.  I'm guessing that while the hive is loaded, they can't forage flowers, so you may have been unlucky and hit a feeding tick while they were in transport.  If the hive didn't have any honey or sugar in it, I guess they may have died of starvation en route.

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

My reading of the document indicates that bees need to be fed from time to time - they'll eat honey or sugar if it's there, with a preference for sugar.  I'm guessing that while the hive is loaded, they can't forage flowers, so you may have been unlucky and hit a feeding tick while they were in transport.  If the hive didn't have any honey or sugar in it, I guess they may have died of starvation en route.

That actually makes sense, the notes say they can eat up to .05 honey over a 5 day period, so .01 in the hive may not of been enough and a server tick decided your bee's were really hungry. 

Perhaps it is best not to move a hive until it has sufficient honey in it, or you have sugar to put in so they don't eat and head out.

When I moved mine, they ate .10kgs of sugar upon loading (straight away). The loading of the hive may trigger a feeding tick, which would make sense as sort of a penalty or cost to moving a hive.

Nice bit of theorizing there, and likely a good idea to wait until hive is better established before transport. However, you seem to have missed that there is still honey in the hive (0.11) after the transport.

On not so related note, so bees behave same when loaded? we can load wagon of behives and move it somewhere where there is flowers and keep it that way like in real life?

had the same issue happen to me yesterday

i moved 2 hives that day: one that got filled after a migration and one that got filled by the nd queen of a noisy hive

i noticed during transport of the first one that it ate 0.01kg honey (went from 0.11kg in it to 0.1kg when i unloaded it)

during transport of the 2nd one, the bees were gone after i unloaded it (16mins after loading it) and it had 0.05kg honey in it still so should have been enough to feed them if they only eat 0.01kg honey

neither had sugar in it, didn't seem necessary after seeing the first one survive the short trip (both trips took about the same time)

I moved one hive today by cart to a knarr, 3 border hops and then in a cart again to the bee pens of my deed, kept an eye on them the whole time and they arrived safe and sound, and the honey level in the hive didn't drop.

• Like 1

I can not load my hive to cart cause it is locked, I need unlock that first and then load, even i have attached that lock to player made hive, and key of that lock is somewhere in alliance deed. 

[23:00:06] You finish loading the active bee hive.

[23:07:39] You start to unload the empty bee hive from the "Shinola Rolla".

.37kg of honey and .10 wax inside upon arrival. No sugar was added. This was from a hive that migrated, not a second queen.

Does anyone else recall if their active hive was the result of a second queen or a migrated hive?

I transported 2 domestic hives last night to my deed (after adding sugar to both).  Both survived the trip.  The were both from second queens as the wild hives are still on the trees.

46 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

Does anyone else recall if their active hive was the result of a second queen or a migrated hive?

I transported 2 domestic hives last night to my deed (after adding sugar to both).  Both survived the trip.  The were both from second queens as the wild hives are still on the trees.

Mine was migrated, not second queen. I also peeked using the [+] while transporting.

I just had this happen to me on Xanadu. I'd arrived and checked the hive, and it was active...so I loaded it up...and it still showed as active...Aeryck was asking me in chat about how much was in them, so I did a quick check with the + sign in cart of the level and told them...then started heading home. About midway home (It's a 45 minute trek to where this was.), I noticed it was a 'empty hive'. Still has .04 weight of 65.32 honey left in it, and a 65.32 QL .10 weight beeswax. Also, when I went to unload the now supposedly 'empty' hive, it gave the 'secure' option (New plant feature) which doesn't function for 'empty' hives currently.

I'd previously lugged x2 active hives home without even opening them/glancing in them...and they both made it safely there...so perhaps it's a 'You've accessed it' problem?

This hive was a 53 QL wild hive, with 1.99 weight of honey last I checked/fiddled with the honey by taking some out with the measuring jug (I was testing whether them having 1.99 weight triggered the extra queen spawn.). The wild hive was gone when I got there and saw my active hive going.

The two I brought home previously made it just fine, one was a 63 QL wild hive that disappeared after it went active, the second one was a 41 QL wild hive, that was still there when I saw the active hive...

I had no sugar in any of these, because I have no sugar yet. (Harvest isn't ready)

Sounds like you let the bees out!  I'll give that one a try.  Did anyone else peek?

I have it open whole travel, those eat one sugar, just in case i have there 2 sugar. so i quess if that sugar hasnt be there my bees has gone also

I tried opening and closing and even taking wax and honey out and it's still active.  It may have to do with the length of the trip and the terrain?  Keep posting exact detals on success and failure until I hear that the issue has been found.

tried entering the area of other hives while riding with it, tried clicking the + sign, tried unloading it within other hives areas but it never died

no honey was consumed during the trip though so it wasn't polled

The hive I originally posted about contained a migrated queen. As others mentioned, the wild hive was gone leaving mine on the ground dancing by itself. Since there is still honey in the hive I have to assume they didn't starve and die off. Also, since the design allows for us to open the hives to remove honey and wax, and put in sugar, it seems a little farfetched to think that I may have accidentally let the bees escape. It seems to me that if the bees had migrated over and were beginning to produce honey, they had moved there to stay. Of course, I'm no bee expert...

I just realized I forgot to mention that I'd lugged the first two home loaded in my wagon, and the 3rd I loaded up in my cart....this happened in my large cart. Is it cart specific?