Sign in to follow this  
Norsewind

Need Help with Textures

Alright so I started working on a Sphax PureBDcraft patch for Wurm Unlimited, cause it's by far my favorite texture pack for Minecraft, and I've been dying to see how it'd look in the Wurm universe :P

So everything was going well for figuring out how to edit the textures and what-not, then decided to give the textures a test run before I got too far along and invested with em all, everything tile, and pumpkins seemed to be working beautifully, even better than I'd imagined it would turn out, but, the sprites for the grass for whatever reason were rendering the "background" (invisible part of the texture that isn't being used as part of the grass texture) was black, instead of being the see-through invisible that it should be. I'm just curious if anyone would know what would cause such a thing to happen =/

Including a screenshot of it for reference, though not sure how much it will help.

ocSvNSu.jpg

• Like 1

That is pretty cool. This makes me wonder how possible it would be to make a super simple graphics pack, it doesn't matter if it's cartoony. What matters is it would work better on older computers.

As to your black grass, I tried to make mod that would downscale the resolutions of the .dds file textures. I had a similar problem and the solution was that somehow the alpha channel got disabled. I'd advise you to double check that.

• Like 2

@joedobo alright thanks for the reply, I'll give it a look and see if I can figure it out from there ^^

*EDIT* I've been tinkering with the textures in Paint (dot) net (the program I use for all my texture work), and trying to change the compression type from DXT1 (Opaque/1-bit alpha) to DXT3 (Explicit Alpha), just makes the game crash on launching since it appears the game only supports DXT1 compression of textures, and I'm unsure as to what else I can do, as looking at the textures outside of the game the alpha is definitely see-through =/

Only other option I'd have is opening them in some other image editing software, but I'm unsure what would work that I could find for free (would hate to have to buy software just for this simple task if I could avoid it), if you could point me towards something that'd be able to answer this problem better than Paint (dot) net, please let me know ^^

(PS - I tried installing Gimp, but it doesn't seem to support DDS, and I can't figure out where a stable plugin for it to support DDS would be =/ )

Edited by Norsewind
  • Like 1

For transparency to work you have to use DXT5, DXT1 for less memory consumption and DXT5 when alpha is needed. Haven't tried Paint.net's export yet but it should be fine.

• Like 3

nice, I want to change the marble texture to a darker one, but don't want to stuff up my game, can I simply add it to the textures jar or do I need to do something more than that? I would love to replace the pottery floor too, It's just "ugly"

Yup, just open graphics.jar with a zip program like 7-zip, drag your new version of the image into the right folder inside the jar and save.  Easy peasy.

Note that each time the game updates, this jar is reset if there are any graphics updates, so you'll have to copy your modified images in again afterward.

tried your suggestion, didn't work the first time, had to add it to the graphics jar in the packs folder and now it works fine,

thanks for the advice

Edited by ozmods
edit